Stranger Things: Too Old For This

SpaceChampion

36 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

So the Big Bad, if not THE BIG BAD is supposed to be...

Reveal hidden contents

Vecna...which is actually kinda cool, in my mind...

Isn’t it more likely that the kids name it that, the way they named the other monsters after D&D monsters?

My wife doesn’t like the show (S1 is too close to horror for her) and my son hasn’t watched it yet — although at 15, I should give him the option now.  So it’s solely my choice whether to continue watching the cheesy 80s revival. I’m on the fence after S3 but I’ll probably give it a try at some point.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:12 AM, Quijote Light said:

I suppose. I just don’t understand why this is getting hype now, when the episode titles were released four or five months ago. 

Because the trailer showing him just came out?

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Damn. So they're basically capping it off with a movie? Is this the final season? I gotta start re-watching the existing seasons soon.

There was talk of a 5th season but who can say with Netflix.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Damn. So they're basically capping it off with a movie? Is this the final season? I gotta start re-watching the existing seasons soon.

No. There's still a fifth season after this.

So they flashed back to when Eleven was eight? I'm guessing some CG/deepfake stuff was used to de-age Millie Bobby Brown (who is now 18), but it looks pretty good.

I don’t really get why Netflix makes all of the season (or in this case half of the season) available at once.  It seems that would encourage people to just binge the show over the weekend, cancel Netflix and then just resubscribe in July, binge again and then cancel.  It seems like a foolish business model.

1 hour ago, Frey family reunion said:

I don’t really get why Netflix makes all of the season (or in this case half of the season) available at once.  It seems that would encourage people to just binge the show over the weekend, cancel Netflix and then just resubscribe in July, binge again and then cancel.  It seems like a foolish business model.

It's their thing and I think they are very reluctant to drop it. But this release model and the one they had for Arcane, plus all their bought-in shows which air once a week, show they do want to move away from it. It's costing them a lot of buzz and profile, especially compared to Disney+ and the very occasional Amazon and Apple breakout. It's even helping Paramount+ with Strange New Worlds.

There is a also a huge advantage for Netflix in doing that, because it means they don't have to have 52 seasons a year times however many shows they want to launch at once, which is cripplingly expensive. They just need to have 52 weeks of x number of shows airing, which is a much lower number. If they can also focus on a smaller number of big, interesting projects rather than a scattergun of everything and the kitchen sink, that might make people more excited about Netflix again.

Archived