Stranger Things: Too Old For This

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Those guys are both professionals. The first guy is a guitar teacher. Is it too obvious to point out that online guitar tutorials and youtube playthroughs also didn't exist in 1986?

Yes, in 1986 people learned to play pieces by ear, listening to the songs over and over. Like an obsessive metal head might do when he's not in school or playing D&D. 

I'm going to guess you were a frustrated guitarist as a teenager because it's gnawing at you quite a bit that Eddie appears to have been a talented guitarist!

10 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Eddie wasn't a frontman in a band for 12 years. 

Those guys are both professionals. The first guy is a guitar teacher. Is it too obvious to point out that online guitar tutorials and youtube playthroughs also didn't exist in 1986?

Nevahs!

I thought it was a great scene too. I just think it would have been cooler with 'Maiden. Exactly 10% cooler in fact.  

Number of the Beast has a slightly more upbeat opening riff. It also would have resonated well with the other aspects of the '80's satanic panic that was shown this season. The whole "D&D is the occult" thing was totally a thing back then. 

I think Number of the Beast might have been too upbeat for what they were going for, and so would most early Maiden songs. Master of Puppets also hit the Vecna theme pretty well. Maybe 2 Minutes to Midnight would have worked with all the clocks in this season? It was released in 1984, so Eddie would have had a good two years to figure it out.. 

All right, I admit it, I’m slow on the uptake.  But will someone please explain to me:

Spoiler

The significance of the scene where Henry/Vecna meets the Mind Flayer?

Are we supposed to assume that the Mind Flayer took over Henry?  Or that Henry took over the Mind Flayer?  Or that they merged?  

And if they merged, why did they show up in the form of the Mind Flayer in Season 2, but as Vecna in Season 4?  

Also are we to assume that Henry/Vecna already killed and took over the powers of Kali/8?  Which is what he uses to create those nightmares in his victims?  If so, I wish they had made a reveal of that, it would have been a cool call back to Season 2.

Fantastic season, really saved a series that a lot of people had given up on after season 2 and 3.

I loved that it returned to the dark horror roots of the first season but still manage to balance the horror elements so perfectly with the humor. That is a real skill.

People have criticized the show for cast bloat and saying they don't kill off enough characters, I guess that's true but it speaks to how good the characters are that I really didn't want to see any of them die even the ones who were barely doing anything this season.

Unfortunately the major death that did happen was spoilt for me on Twitter by Mauler of all people.

4 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

All right, I admit it, I’m slow on the uptake.  But will someone please explain to me:

Hide contents

The significance of the scene where Henry/Vecna meets the Mind Flayer?

Are we supposed to assume that the Mind Flayer took over Henry?  Or that Henry took over the Mind Flayer?  Or that they merged?  

And if they merged, why did they show up in the form of the Mind Flayer in Season 2, but as Vecna in Season 4?  

Also are we to assume that Henry/Vecna already killed and took over the powers of Kali/8?  Which is what he uses to create those nightmares in his victims?  If so, I wish they had made a reveal of that, it would have been a cool call back to Season 2.

Spoiler

Henry found a formless entity and gave it shape. Likely he infused some of his desires and goals on it. It's unclear if he took over it or if they formed a partnership, though it appears Henry was largely the one in control, the man behind the curtain so to speak.

Kali had nothing to do with all this. In episode 7 Henry tells Eleven during that long monologue that he developed the ability to go into people's minds and make them see things from their past. That's how he haunted his own family. It's not quite the same as Kali. She makes illusions in the real world.

Also on Kali, I wonder why left the lab: either 1) she used her powers to escape or 2) because all she has are illusions, Brenner didn't find her interesting enough and removed her from the program.

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:
  Hide contents

Henry found a formless entity and gave it shape. Likely he infused some of his desires and goals on it. It's unclear if he took over it or if they formed a partnership, though it appears Henry was largely the one in control, the man behind the curtain so to speak.

Kali had nothing to do with all this. In episode 7 Henry tells Eleven during that long monologue that he developed the ability to go into people's minds and make them see things from their past. That's how he haunted his own family. It's not quite the same as Kali. She makes illusions in the real world.

Also on Kali, I wonder why left the lab: either 1) she used her powers to escape or 2) because all she has are illusions, Brenner didn't find her interesting enough and removed her from the program.

Spoiler

Yea, I guess that makes sense, he had the ability long before Kali.  I forgot about that tidbit.  Still, it would have been nice if they made some type of call back to it.  It seems like since it was their biggest critical miss they are content to just never referencing her again.

16 hours ago, Ran said:

Yes, in 1986 people learned to play pieces by ear, listening to the songs over and over. Like an obsessive metal head might do when he's not in school or playing D&D. 

I'm going to guess you were a frustrated guitarist as a teenager because it's gnawing at you quite a bit that Eddie appears to have been a talented guitarist!

An amateur; That song; in two weeks; with Eddie's commitments? Not likely.

Totally true. I would have been super jealous of Eddie. Not just the guitar; the Hellfire club, the small business entrepreneur thing, the hair. I could go on.

8 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I think Number of the Beast might have been too upbeat for what they were going for, and so would most early Maiden songs. Master of Puppets also hit the Vecna theme pretty well. Maybe 2 Minutes to Midnight would have worked with all the clocks in this season? It was released in 1984, so Eddie would have had a good two years to figure it out.. 

Lyrically NotB fits better too. I just have this vision individual bats getting more and more animated until the entire hoard comes over the hill like locusts when Bruce Dickinson does his, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHhhhhh!!!!

Bowels evacuated. Shit stained couch. Hole in my ceiling. Probable spinal chord injury. For real. 

My headcanon has him just completely sucking at it but the music we hear is what he thinks he sounds like. 

But it's otherwise like when you're singing along to a song and you think you sound awesome but to an outside observer it's entirely trash and weird. 

On 7/4/2022 at 8:14 PM, Ran said:

Is it improbable that "Master of Puppets" is the song Eddie would play? Yes. Is it impossible? No. 

James Dean Bradfield from the Manic Street Preachers started playing guitar in 1986, bought Guns n Roses' Appetite for Destruction when it came out (21 July 1987 or within a few days) and apparently had the entire album's guitar parts down pat by "the end of the summer," which was like six weeks later, depending on how literal he was being.

True, he was (and still is) an excellent guitarist. But then maybe Eddie would have been the most gifted guitarist of his generation if he hadn't been killed.

This is definitely in the same school of argumentation as "but the audiobooks prove it's impossible for Kvothe to tell the story of The Kingkiller Chronicle in just three days! Book 2 would take like half a week by itself!" and "right, so here's a flight-plan the Fellowship could have used to get to Mordor."

You all are making me think of this Simpsons joke. Who cares if they got the timing of the music slightly off, it's not that big of a deal one way or the other. I mean if I wanted to nitpick this show, I could bring up the fact, that The Thing was not a popular film at the time of it's release, yet I recall one of the boys, having a poster for it on their wall in season 1.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

True, he was (and still is) an excellent guitarist. But then maybe Eddie would have been the most gifted guitarist of his generation if he hadn't been killed.

A few posts back I was chastised for such indecisiveness. 

3 hours ago, sifth said:

You all are making me think of this Simpsons joke.

LLOOOOOOOL!!!

3 hours ago, sifth said:

You all are making me think of this Simpsons joke. Who cares if they got the timing of the music slightly off, it's not that big of a deal one way or the other. I mean if I wanted to nitpick this show, I could bring up the fact, that The Thing was not a popular film at the time of it's release, yet I recall one of the boys, having a poster for it on their wall in season 1.

:lol:  "What the hell you talkin' about?" 

I loved the song choice and fuck Iron Maiden while we are at it (jk, sort of)!  The Iron Maiden fanboy in you is getting in the way of a great scene. I was listening to Metallica at that time, 13 yrs old i think, thanks to older brothers who had a tape, and they went to the Monsters of Rock tour in Detroit. They said Metallica sucked live then btw, too fast, and they didn't know their songs very well. I listened to their tape way more than they did.

The song was perfect for the character and scene. Vecna was literally puppeteering his victims when he killed them, they were in the air and he was the Master of Puppets pulling their strings how much more on point could a song be! He isn't the devil and the mark of the beast refers to the devil.

Now, about the actual season, loved it, felt like S1 again. Only real gripe is

Spoiler

Max. I wish they had just killed her instead of this is she or isn't she thing. MY take from Eleven not seeing her in her mind was that she was brain dead, but who knows. Maybe next season Eleven finds her and sacrifices herself to bring Max back.

Yes, on Max and the next season I have to ask

Spoiler

Will there be a time jump? Each sequel season had a significant time jump. But with how this one ended, I'm not sure that there can be much of a time jump.

So then will Max be in the next season? Considering that the gates did open up, I think Max's consciousness was captured by Vecna, but she was not desiccated like the other victims. Max may try to fight Vecna literally from within Vecna's mind, and there will likely be another Elven v Vecna mind duel. But again, assuming the Duffers have any major plans for the character for the final season. 

Oh, one last thing on the most metal scene ever... The actor actually learned the song on the guitar and was really playing along in that scene, shocked the director as no one knew he could do it.  

Archived