Stranger Things: Too Old For This

SpaceChampion

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

I loved the song choice and fuck Iron Maiden while we are at it (jk, sort of)!  The Iron Maiden fanboy in you is getting in the way of a great scene.

So salty. What do you mean, "sort of"? 

I agree that it was great scene. I wrote exactly that in a previous post. Sheesh.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

I was listening to Metallica at that time, 13 yrs old i think, thanks to older brothers who had a tape, and they went to the Monsters of Rock tour in Detroit. They said Metallica sucked live then btw, too fast, and they didn't know their songs very well. I listened to their tape way more than they did.

I wasn't introduced to them until after just after Garage Days Re-Revisited came out. Since then I bought everything and saw them live twice. It should've been 3 times but things got messed up on the "Justice" tour. I go back to to the MoS album fairly regularly. That might be the last record I played through start to finish. 

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

The song was perfect for the character and scene. Vecna was literally puppeteering his victims when he killed them, they were in the air and he was the Master of Puppets pulling their strings how much more on point could a song be! He isn't the devil and the mark of the beast refers to the devil.

Except Master of Puppets is about drug addiction.

Each to their own. The opening verses to NotB sound a lot like Eddie's situation. I also think it syncs well with the satanic panic elements or season 4. That album and that band featured much more prominently in that controversy than Metallica did; as they weren't as big at the time and their their general image tended to avoid occult imagery / themes. This was just last year!

18 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

So salty. What do you mean, "sort of"? 

I wasn't introduced to them until after just after Garage Days Re-Revisited came out. Since then I bought everything and saw them live twice. It should've been 3 times but things got messed up on the "Justice" tour. I go back to to the MoS album fairly regularly. That might be the last record I played through start to finish. 

To the bolded part, because it's meant to be tongue in cheek and didn't want anyone to get offended.

Underlined part, would've loved to see that. I've seen them three times so far and the last one was by far the best, Comerica Park in Detroit with Avenge Sevenfold and Volbeat(who kill it live btw).  Metallica sounded amazing, probably some back tracking or whatever but the show was amazing, probably helps that my daughter saw it with me.  I wore out 2 Justice tapes and a CD.

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

To the bolded part, because it's meant to be tongue in cheek and didn't want anyone to get offended.

So was I. It's all good.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Underlined part, would've loved to see that. I've seen them three times so far and the last one was by far the best, Comerica Park in Detroit with Avenge Sevenfold and Volbeat(who kill it live btw).  Metallica sounded amazing, probably some back tracking or whatever but the show was amazing, probably helps that my daughter saw it with me.  I wore out 2 Justice tapes and a CD.

Metallica famously is one of the few bands that doesn't use backing tracks. I suspect Volbeat is the same. I haven't seen them live but I've seen plenty of footage. They're amazing live.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:43 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Am I going insane? Are they making me insane? 

Season 4 takes place in March of 1986, during spring break. Master of Puppets was released March 3, 1986. There is. No. Fucking. Way. Eddie could have learned the guitar parts on that album in a couple of weeks. An accurate tablature would not be published for years after; which means he'd have to learn it by ear and practice non-stop.

Impossible! He'd have to do this, and go to school and fulfill his roles as trailer park Apothecary and Grand Poobah of the Hellfire Club. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. 

Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast on the other hand, had been out for 4 years. 'Maiden is even teased in the prologue. Ohmygod I would have hit the ceiling and shat my bowels if they busted that one out.  

Eat my ass Stranger Things. 

Murray repeatedly references Nintendo with no one batting an eye and yet the NES came out in the US April 1986. 

After the whole "could Eddie have learned the song debate" I laughed today when I saw an article pointing out that he shouldn't have been able to get any power for the amp.

4 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Murray repeatedly references Nintendo with no one batting an eye and yet the NES came out in the US April 1986. 

Does anyone respond to him? Clearly he has an imported console from Japan and no one knows what the hell he's talking about.

In fairness, I don't think he's the only one to reference nintendo in the show. Also I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

After the whole "could Eddie have learned the song debate" I laughed today when I saw an article pointing out that he shouldn't have been able to get any power for the amp.

Yeah well, the lights work and behave in totally implausible ways so I'm going with it. 

14 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Does anyone respond to him? Clearly he has an imported console from Japan and no one knows what the hell he's talking about.

In fairness, I don't think he's the only one to reference nintendo in the show. Also I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

The kids tell Suzy they're trying to win a 16-bit game console. I think she mentions Nintendo. Anyway it's weird they're talking about a 16-bit one of the NES isn't even out 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

The kids tell Suzy they're trying to win a 16-bit game console. I think she mentions Nintendo. Anyway it's weird they're talking about a 16-bit one of the NES isn't even out 

To be fair, it's Argyle throwing out the 16-bit "Americantendo". 

That the Famicom was going to be named the Nintendo Entertainment System in the rest of the world was known in 1985 (here is an ad in the November 1985 issue of New York Magazine, and here a TV commercial from late 1985 as well: 

)

So people were anticipating it in 1986, and so people e wanting one or wanting someone to buy one, using that name, tracks. But Murray equating hanging out playing video games as specifically playing Nintendo... that definitely is anachronistic. He would much likelier have said Atari as a kind of generic term for playing video games.

The way the kids all look so much older now that puberty has aged them past their characters, perhaps we should just pretend it's actually 87 or 88, interior timeline be damned.

I was very impressed by several of the kid actors really showing their chops - led by Sadie Sink (cool name!) as Max. She was tremendous. 

Spoiler

Despite her rocketing up to my favorite performance, I really wish they'd killed her off. As Lucas was praying for her to come through, I was saying "Nooooo" out loud. A missed opportunity to put some weight on the consequences of battling all these horrific evils. I imagine everyone knew Eddie was destined for a heroic death the moment he was on screen (with a heavy assist to the guitar solo reveal months ago). 

Between the strength of Max and others' actors, and the charm of Robin and Steve, it was an entertaining season nonetheless. I still think the show would have functioned best as a one-season event, as in my eyes it's almost fully abandoned the Spielburg Goonies / Stand by Me vibes. In a way, it's kind of a similar series arc to Lucifer, which similarly evolved far past its first season vibe on the strength of its actors' charm or pathos, despite increasingly bloated pace and plotting.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

To be fair, it's Argyle throwing out the 16-bit "Americantendo". 

That the Super Famicom was going to be named the Nintendo Entertainment System in the rest of the world was known in 1985 (here is an ad in the November 1985 issue of New York Magazine, and here a TV commercial from late 1985 as well: 

)

So people were anticipating it in 1986, and so people e wanting one or wanting someone to buy one, using that name, tracks. But Murray equating hanging out playing video games as specifically playing Nintendo... that definitely is anachronistic. He would much likelier have said Atari as a kind of generic term for playing video games.

I still have my R.O.B! I can see him from here. The systems around here somewhere too, but I don't think it works anymore. 

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

2 hours ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Run a power lead through the gate?

It's a supernatural realm that defies our physical laws, by definition. Your article is wrong because one can't say with certainty how anything works there. 

Except for Eddies guitar. For some reason it transcends dimensions. Tell me how, B.C. Rich.

4 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

The way the kids all look so much older now that puberty has aged them past their characters, perhaps we should just pretend it's actually 87 or 88, interior timeline be damned.

I like the anticipation / advertising thing. Murray said, "Nintendo" because he's a clueless boomer. He saw a commercial or read an article but didn't care to realize that it isn't actually out yet in America. In his brain, "the kids play Nintendo now'a'days." 

17 minutes ago, RumHam said:

According to the article, there was no cord shown going through the gate.

I wondered about that when I watched the episode. We see them use a power drill to board up the trailer house and then of course the guitar scene. I was too lazy to go back and see if a cord had been run through the gate.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I wondered about that when I watched the episode. We see them use a power drill to board up the trailer house and then of course the guitar scene. I was too lazy to go back and see if a cord had been run through the gate.

The plugs work in that realm because they're powered by supernatural electricity. 120 spooky volts. 60 creepy Hertz. It is fucking known.

Seriously, gravity doesn't even work there the way it does here, are we going to get bent out of shape over this? Madness.

Although I will not budge on the Master of Puppets thing. 

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The plugs work in that realm because they're powered by supernatural electricity. 120 spooky volts. 60 creepy Hertz. It is fucking known.

Seriously, gravity doesn't even work there the way it does here, are we going to get bent out of shape over this? Madness.

Although I will not budge on the Master of Puppets thing. 

Gravity there works the same. It points towards the ground. And by my visual calc of how they fell through the gate, looks to be the same acceleration. ;)

I decided to get Netflix on a whim and watch the new season, though after season 3 I had low hopes. Lucky for me, I realize I missed the whole Season 4.1 and 4.2 fiasco! I would've been pissed had I resubscribed back in May only to have to wait a month or two for the last two episodes.

Man, this season was all over the place. It was legit really good and gave me season 1 vibes at times, but damn if they didn't double and triple down on the shit that made season 3 the only one I never want to revisit. Bad new characters in the vein of Erica--Argyle was the most annoying character ever. I fucking hate him. Not nearly as much as Erica, but Jesus, I know they can make characters more likeable than this. Hell they did it with Eddie...eventually. I don't get why they introduce characters who are solely there to say "funny" things. These new characters really fucked up some great moments in the new season.

And the way Argyle is written is as if he is functionally stupid. I hate to say that about anyone, but there is no explanation for his reasoning and reaction throughout the season. When he was wandering around in the desert calling out a woman's name? I don't care how much weed you smoke, you don't become a blithering idiot.

And why would the group ever let Erica in on the scheme they were cooking up in episode 7. She ratted them out to the psycho witch hunter football team, she ratted them out as "liars" in front of the parents and cops. She's clearly against them, so why is she involved? 

At the same time, you have Paul Reiser clearly playing a role defined only as the opposite of his role in Aliens, and it somehow works. His scenes with Eleven are so good. Max's and ultimately Lucas' stories were excellent, and you get legitimately funny moments, as always, anytime Steve and Dustin are together.

And at the same time (for a third time) they take a great character like Hopper and turn him into a bumbling moron in season 3, then leave him and Joyce and that godawful-please-don't-come-back-for-Season-5 Murray sidelined and fucking around in Russia in a way that has literally zero to do with the main plot of this season.

I hope season 5 ends strong. They know it'll be the last, they can resolve some shit, but I'm really discouraged by the fact they had so long between seasons 3 and 4 and didn't curb the excesses of season 3.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:13 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Yes, on Max and the next season I have to ask

Hide contents

Will there be a time jump? Each sequel season had a significant time jump. But with how this one ended, I'm not sure that there can be much of a time jump.

So then will Max be in the next season? Considering that the gates did open up, I think Max's consciousness was captured by Vecna, but she was not desiccated like the other victims. Max may try to fight Vecna literally from within Vecna's mind, and there will likely be another Elven v Vecna mind duel. But again, assuming the Duffers have any major plans for the character for the final season. 

I was listening to a podcast explain season 4 as Empire Strikes Back. They're all split up, they lose, Eleven spends most of it training only to stop training early to go and help her friends, and Max is frozen in carbonite. So I figure they'll free her and get her back on the team early in season 5!

Archived