Stranger Things: Too Old For This

SpaceChampion

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I feel like that was Dustin's demodog

He himself looks and acts like an Ewok, you know with being short and nerdiest while the rest shot up, no collarbones and the teeth (pearls glaglagla)

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's time to revive the "Eddie Lives!" meme from Eddie & The Cruisers so the truth about Eddie Munson spreads on in legend throughout the world. Children whisper quietly to each other what happened in the Upside Down, while older brothers will just say bitterly, and defiantly, "Eddie Lives!"

I finally watched the last two episodes… not sure who decided to call that “part two”. Cutting off 2 episodes from the rest isn’t a part two. Oh well. 

ETA: do I need spoiler tags here?

I do generally think this season is far superior to the second and the third, but I had some issues with how the story was concluded. 

I’m generally not a fan of the Soviet storyline even though I understand that they are playing on the Cold War which was still hot in the 80s and that they were going to try to salvage the ruins of season 3 and correct their mistakes rather pretend they didn’t happen. And it all went all right for the first seven and a half episodes. Then they got out, put on those American flag puffer jackets (which was a nonsensical choice for one too many reasons to list), and went right back in without a plan for some vague purpose. Of course they had to reiterate their nonexistent plan to what welcomed them at the site, and three of them pulled off mostly seamlessly what a full prison guard failed to achieve. Fine. But. I have no idea who wanted that sword scene to happen, but I would sure as hell fire the person who didn’t tell them no. As for Yuri, if you show a certain character for 8.5 episodes, and then someone speaks 5 sentences to your morality (formerly regarded as non-existent) and that makes you have a turnaround, you don’t have a character arch, you have a badly written ending. 

Meanwhile in the desert and scenic wide shots, several military cars and a helicopter attacks the Nina base. It takes a sniper at least 5 shots neutralize a 60 year old man carrying another person, after which Brenner is still alive enough to deactivate Eleven’s collar and have a redundant chat with her about whether he is evil. This question has been discussed for 4 seasons, you don’t need to waste unrealistic dialogue on telling the same thing again. It also seems unlikely and rather impossible that the military boss couldn’t ask for backup and have the “civvies” tailed/hunted at a phone calls’ notice. He just gives up and decides to sit tight till season 5 instead. 

The final battle with Vecna was driven by scenes and situations the writers wanted to happen rather than any real action and consequence. It was also kinda difficult to say which event was supposed to trigger the next as the cuts and the editing were done for visuals and emotional tension rather than the plot. I can only assume that grilling the Soviet demogorgons somehow released Steve, Nancy and Robin and killed the bats, but it’s absolutely inexplicable why it would kill the bats and not the one last particle infested demogorgon Hopper decided to sword fight. Or did grilling Vecna kill the bats? I just don’t know. At least it made sense that fire and bullets don’t kill Vecna… (I’m sure however that Hopper’s Valyrian steel sword does. And hey, maybe Argyle will do an air jump and stab him next season.) I have no intuition as to why Max is alive. Did she live because Vecna was interrupted? If so why did she need Eleven to revive her? If the interruption doesn’t matter and she would have died anyway because Vecna started “consuming her”,then Eleven can bring dead people back now? How, if she can’t find Max in Max’s mind? I was sort of expecting something like she would use her powers to pump Max’s heart until the paramedics arrive and that would have made sense but we cut away, so we don’t even know if the paramedics made any difference. Which is odd because Erica was only taken out of the game long enough for Lucas to get beaten, and the Walkman to smash so Max couldn’t be woken up in time, but she was right back for the time to call 911. Did that matter? If not, then… why all this contrivance? 

We kinda all knew that Eddie was a disposable character, who wasn’t going to live to see a happy end. However, it seems like a wasted opportunity for an interesting clearing one’s name and getting admitted into the community arc. This is something the show could absolutely discuss as bullying and various types of exclusion has been a driving force for characters since season 1 and it would have been nice for the community to learn a lesson as well, and a nod to the fact that the mob can get it wrong sometimes. His death also didn’t provide the emotional payoff of killing Steve without killing Steve, as one episode of being buddies with Dustin isn’t enough to make him a Steve. There are also several other perfectly disposable characters at this point. Robin adds absolutely nothing to the story other than a fifteenth teen romance. She could die, which is not out of the realm of possibility for a generally anxious and clumsy character, or ride off into the sunset with Vicki. Jonathan’s added value was driving the car. He could and should have sacrificed himself for Will at one point or the other, we would have one fewer useless character, we would have a way out of the Nancy/Jonathan/Steve love triangle and we would have something for Will to chew on other than ANOTHER damn love triangle of which this show has far more than necessary/interesting/realistic. I’m sure Max will be fine, but it would also have been okay if she actually died and Lucas also died because we could have put Erica in his place in the gang and we would have fewer characters and romantic storylines. Murray, Yuri and Jaqen all served their purposes and should have been collateral (or maybe they parted ways off camera and won’t be back next season, that’s fine too). 

11 hours ago, Quijote Light said:

I didn’t notice it in part 1, but when I saw the sword in part two I excitedly told my friend that it was Conan’s sword from Conan the Barbarian. I later read an article that said it was an actual prop from the movie. 

Yeah I read that too, same sword Conan used. They added quite a few eggs like that.

15 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I finally watched the last two episodes… not sure who decided to call that “part two”. Cutting off 2 episodes from the rest isn’t a part two. Oh well. 

ETA: do I need spoiler tags here?

I do generally think this season is far superior to the second and the third, but I had some issues with how the story was concluded. 

I’m generally not a fan of the Soviet storyline even though I understand that they are playing on the Cold War which was still hot in the 80s and that they were going to try to salvage the ruins of season 3 and correct their mistakes rather pretend they didn’t happen. And it all went all right for the first seven and a half episodes. Then they got out, put on those American flag puffer jackets (which was a nonsensical choice for one too many reasons to list), and went right back in without a plan for some vague purpose. Of course they had to reiterate their nonexistent plan to what welcomed them at the site, and three of them pulled off mostly seamlessly what a full prison guard failed to achieve. Fine. But. I have no idea who wanted that sword scene to happen, but I would sure as hell fire the person who didn’t tell them no. As for Yuri, if you show a certain character for 8.5 episodes, and then someone speaks 5 sentences to your morality (formerly regarded as non-existent) and that makes you have a turnaround, you don’t have a character arch, you have a badly written ending. 

Meanwhile in the desert and scenic wide shots, several military cars and a helicopter attacks the Nina base. It takes a sniper at least 5 shots neutralize a 60 year old man carrying another person, after which Brenner is still alive enough to deactivate Eleven’s collar and have a redundant chat with her about whether he is evil. This question has been discussed for 4 seasons, you don’t need to waste unrealistic dialogue on telling the same thing again. It also seems unlikely and rather impossible that the military boss couldn’t ask for backup and have the “civvies” tailed/hunted at a phone calls’ notice. He just gives up and decides to sit tight till season 5 instead. 

The final battle with Vecna was driven by scenes and situations the writers wanted to happen rather than any real action and consequence. It was also kinda difficult to say which event was supposed to trigger the next as the cuts and the editing were done for visuals and emotional tension rather than the plot. I can only assume that grilling the Soviet demogorgons somehow released Steve, Nancy and Robin and killed the bats, but it’s absolutely inexplicable why it would kill the bats and not the one last particle infested demogorgon Hopper decided to sword fight. Or did grilling Vecna kill the bats? I just don’t know. At least it made sense that fire and bullets don’t kill Vecna… (I’m sure however that Hopper’s Valyrian steel sword does. And hey, maybe Argyle will do an air jump and stab him next season.) I have no intuition as to why Max is alive. Did she live because Vecna was interrupted? If so why did she need Eleven to revive her? If the interruption doesn’t matter and she would have died anyway because Vecna started “consuming her”,then Eleven can bring dead people back now? How, if she can’t find Max in Max’s mind? I was sort of expecting something like she would use her powers to pump Max’s heart until the paramedics arrive and that would have made sense but we cut away, so we don’t even know if the paramedics made any difference. Which is odd because Erica was only taken out of the game long enough for Lucas to get beaten, and the Walkman to smash so Max couldn’t be woken up in time, but she was right back for the time to call 911. Did that matter? If not, then… why all this contrivance? 

We kinda all knew that Eddie was a disposable character, who wasn’t going to live to see a happy end. However, it seems like a wasted opportunity for an interesting clearing one’s name and getting admitted into the community arc. This is something the show could absolutely discuss as bullying and various types of exclusion has been a driving force for characters since season 1 and it would have been nice for the community to learn a lesson as well, and a nod to the fact that the mob can get it wrong sometimes. His death also didn’t provide the emotional payoff of killing Steve without killing Steve, as one episode of being buddies with Dustin isn’t enough to make him a Steve. There are also several other perfectly disposable characters at this point. Robin adds absolutely nothing to the story other than a fifteenth teen romance. She could die, which is not out of the realm of possibility for a generally anxious and clumsy character, or ride off into the sunset with Vicki. Jonathan’s added value was driving the car. He could and should have sacrificed himself for Will at one point or the other, we would have one fewer useless character, we would have a way out of the Nancy/Jonathan/Steve love triangle and we would have something for Will to chew on other than ANOTHER damn love triangle of which this show has far more than necessary/interesting/realistic. I’m sure Max will be fine, but it would also have been okay if she actually died and Lucas also died because we could have put Erica in his place in the gang and we would have fewer characters and romantic storylines. Murray, Yuri and Jaqen all served their purposes and should have been collateral (or maybe they parted ways off camera and won’t be back next season, that’s fine too). 

So what did you like about the season lol? Eddie was the heart of the season so his death did strike home, more for me than if Max is dead. I do agree with the Russia/Dorne plot line, just stop going there it doesn't work.

As to the release part, i thought it was established that there is a link between the creatures in the upside down? Maybe I am not remembering it wrong because other creatures were killed there and didn't have the same impact on Vecna or the vines.

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yeah I read that too, same sword Conan used. They added quite a few eggs like that.

So what did you like about the season lol? Eddie was the heart of the season so his death did strike home, more for me than if Max is dead. I do agree with the Russia/Dorne plot line, just stop going there it doesn't work.

As to the release part, i thought it was established that there is a link between the creatures in the upside down? Maybe I am not remembering it wrong because other creatures were killed there and didn't have the same impact on Vecna or the vines.

That it took itself seriously, didn’t recycle the ideas of previous season that much and came up with a new type of villain who has a story and provides a mystery to solve, that there was a realistically believable (in the realm of the show) plot, and that the characters weren’t caricatures of themselves. The Vecna business was the most seamless retcon I have ever seen and hats off for that. 

sure, but how does it work? A couple seasons ago it just alerted the hive mind and brought reinforcements. Now the bats drop dead and the vines vanish but the demogorgons don’t. So what’s the deal with that? Again, maybe there’s logic, but with the flashy cuts, I couldn’t find it for my life. 

• 2 months later...

Archived