Kingsguard as alternative to the Wall or Citadel?

Hrulj

Supposing Rheagards kids lived instead of being killed. Is there any chance whatsoever of Aegon being allowed into the Kingsguard as a way to disinherit him and prevent him from being a claimant? One supposes of course he was raised by people friendly to Robert or Robert himself. 

Sure.  I suppose.  But I don't understand this forum's apparent preoccupation with "what-if" scenarios.

My personal opinion is that "if" Aegon had lived, he would have been smuggled to his uncle Doran, and Doran would have then baby-swapped his nephew with his son, and plotted to put his son on the Iron Throne as Aegon VI, with the aid of his co-conspirators Illyrio, Varys and Lemore (actually his wife Mellario).  Meanwhile he would have sent the real Aegon on a fools mission to see Dany.  The real Aegon, who thinks he is Doran's son, would have tried to tame a dragon; and been attacked by Rhaegal.  Being the blood of the dragon he would have survived the attack, spent quality time with Viserion in an abandoned pyramid, while the Tattered Prince, burnt beyond recognition, died on Dany's bed.  Then Aegon would have assumed the identity of the Tattered Prince, ridden Viserion over the battle of Meereen, and caused the Windblown to switch sides.

Of course, this is not really "what if" scenario, but a theory about the events in the books that might possibly be true.  It could well be wrong.  But it seems to me we have more than enough to debate and think about than worrying about things that we know did not happen, like King Robert sending Baby Aegon to the wall.   Unless ... of course you think King Robert did secretly send Baby Aegon to the wall.

1 hour ago, Mister Smikes said:

Sure.  I suppose.  But I don't understand this forum's apparent preoccupation with "what-if" scenarios.

My personal opinion is that "if" Aegon had lived, he would have been smuggled to his uncle Doran, and Doran would have then baby-swapped his nephew with his son, and plotted to put his son on the Iron Throne as Aegon VI, with the aid of his co-conspirators Illyrio, Varys and Lemore (actually his wife Mellario).  Meanwhile he would have sent the real Aegon on a fools mission to see Dany.  The real Aegon, who thinks he is Doran's son, would have tried to tame a dragon; and been attacked by Rhaegal.  Being the blood of the dragon he would have survived the attack, spent quality time with Viserion in an abandoned pyramid, while the Tattered Prince, burnt beyond recognition, died on Dany's bed.  Then Aegon would have assumed the identity of the Tattered Prince, ridden Viserion over the battle of Meereen, and caused the Windblown to switch sides.

Of course, this is not really "what if" scenario, but a theory about the events in the books that might possibly be true.  It could well be wrong.  But it seems to me we have more than enough to debate and think about than worrying about things that we know did not happen, like King Robert sending Baby Aegon to the wall.   Unless ... of course you think King Robert did secretly send Baby Aegon to the wall.

Absolutely understandable sentiment, but after 10 years since the last book not much to go over in terms of written material. Theories are gone over so much that there's not much to add. 

2 hours ago, Hrulj said:

Supposing Rheagards kids lived instead of being killed. Is there any chance whatsoever of Aegon being allowed into the Kingsguard as a way to disinherit him and prevent him from being a claimant? One supposes of course he was raised by people friendly to Robert or Robert himself. 

I mean Jon was raised by Ned to be a good and loyal son and a good amount of people believe R+L=J. him being in the nights watch hasn't made him that much less dangerous though and with at least the current precedent that king guard members can be dismissed.... He could also end up resentful like Theon and attempt betrayal at some point. Even if he were a good and loyal step son to Robert, there would be those who saw him as the legitimate ruler and those who would use the child as a pretext to pursue their own ambitions; especially if they compared this boy to say Joffery.

2 hours ago, Hrulj said:

I mean, it would disinherit him but it would also put him directly in charge of the safety of the man who killed his father and took away forever his rightful throne. Regardless of who raised him, that doesn't sound like a smart move to me.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:07 PM, Hrulj said:

No. As @mormont said, there are many reasons why Aegon might try to kill Robert, and none of them have anything to do with the throne. So it would only give him more of an opportunity to kill Robert.

On 8/6/2021 at 1:07 PM, Hrulj said:

The Wall is the safer choice.  Many would advice murder but Arryn would choose mercy because Aegon already lost his inheritance. The real danger is King Viserys III across the ocean.  

On 8/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, Hrulj said:

You want a child of Rhaegar to be guarding the man who killed his father? For Robert to train him to be a great warrior? Warriors are cherished in their society like celebrities. Robert would be weakening both himself and his heirs by strengthening Aegon's popularity.

Aegon is around two decades from becoming a Kingsguard member. That is an awful long time for rebels to fight on his behalf (which is something that historically happened, rebel lords taking the initiative). Rival claimants are a danger no matter their intentions.

Archived