Exercise & Fitness: it’s a marathon, not a sprint

Iskaral Pust

6 hours ago, apovsic said:

Did my first marathon yesterday. It was hard, very hard. Not as painful as shorter distances can be, but just draining after 30 km. Last 5 km felt like when one is swimming in the sea and then tries to walk last couple of meters to the shore with water above waist. And in the finish I didn't even get the promised endorphin doze :dunce:. My brain kinda zone out at 35 km and when I stopped I was just confused, like  "What now?" :dunno:. Also I lost 3 kg, I was shivering after 10 min and had to put like 5 layers of clothes, just not to feel cold, I was sick and my throat was burning.

So, it was awesome, can't wait for the next one.

Reveal hidden contents

I ran 2:46, if you also need this info.

Congrats on running a marathon! It's a great result, too!

Ljubljana was a great race when I ran it back in 2011 and 2012. I was doing half-marathons only, but I achieved a PB there.

Edited by baxus

2 minutes ago, baxus said:

Congrats on running a marathon! It's a great result, too!

Ljubljana was a great race when I ran it back in 2011 and 2012. I was doing half-marathons only, but I achieved a PB there.

Thanks. It's still great, it's just that it was a lot less runners than before the pandemic (and there was also no elite runners, but that can also be positive, since now there is more focus on Slovenian runners that years before). Also the course is for HM and marathon almost the same as 10 years ago (marathon was 2 laps).

• 4 weeks later...

It turns out the program we were doing was basically full body, 6 days a week.  After 5 weeks I had to throw in the towel.  It just wasn't fun, I wasn't seeing progress, and I wasn't getting enough rest.  So I'm changing it up for the rest of the year with a 5x5, 4 day upper/lower split.  So far so good, with yesterday doing a heavy upper body session and today doing a lower body one.  Will probably move up in all my lifts next week.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, ljkeane said:

Playing second team rugby yesterday the other side had Kylie Leuluai, with just the 300 odd games of NRL and Super League and six Grand Final wins for Leeds Rhinos under his belt, playing for them. Which was, er, interesting.

Should have seen how fast he could limp. 

I used to coach a future full England football International when he was 12-14 and even then I couldn't near him as a full grown adult. 

Also I have a horrendous pain in my wrist where you would take your pulse, I assume from picking up my super obese 7 month old child. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

On 12/13/2021 at 2:14 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Also I have a horrendous pain in my wrist where you would take your pulse, I assume from picking up my super obese 7 month old child. 

Could be carpal tunnel syndrome.  A new added stress on top of typing, cycling, etc might be enough.  Some tendinitis in your forearm or wrist can be enough to cause it too.

I’ve managed to renew my workout volume these past three weeks, despite still being swamped with work.  It feels good to be exercising, and now I have almost two weeks off work to keep it going.

My plantar fasciitis is mostly gone, and my torn calf muscle seems mostly healed.  I now jog 0.5 miles on the treadmill to warm up before weights, which I can just about manage without aggravating the calf muscle.  If I’m walking any distance later in the day afterward then I can feel it a bit.  I’ll try to keep building on the distance and intensity.

Three months now of cutting out junk food and desserts.  I had a slice of pie after dinner on Thanksgiving, but that’s all.  I could still stand to shed a few pounds of body fat though.  My dress pants feel half an inch tight, so I’d like to lose an inch from my waistline.  But it’s happening only slowly.

When I get lunch in the office at work, a meal of 600-700 calories seems inadequate and needs to be supplemented with a healthy snack around 4:00, which makes me wonder about what kind of meal/portion size I have become accustomed to.  When I work from home I have a late breakfast around 10:00 (instead of 8:00 on days in the office), and then lunch around 3:00 and no snack before dinner.  My meal rhythm just works better with a later breakfast.

I have recently started playing floorball again, after 10-11 years off the court. It's been fun, and it's pushed me to focus on my shoulder issues so that I can get back to sports in general and training as soon as possible.

Having a couple of months off training has been hard, but there's a silver lining - we got a puppy and there's been a lot of stuff to do around him so I found the use for the time I would've normally spent in the gym. Also, I'm quite enjoying long walks with Loki so I've stayed physically active, even though it's not really the intensity I prefer.

Another piece of good news is that my wife and I signed up for a meal plan, which means our food for the next day gets delivered in the evening and we're covered for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. It's healthy food and I've lost 3kgs, the last time I checked.

• 3 weeks later...

Started a shadow boxing program, lifting 2 days a week, cut drinking for the month, and have started eating much better.  Weighed myself on Jan 1 and it was the most I've been in like 7 years.  I've already dropped 8 lbs and expect to do this for the next 6 weeks.  Goal is to lose 20 total by then and see where I'm at, but things are looking good so far!

Happy New Year y'all!!!

5 hours ago, aceluby said:

Started a shadow boxing program, lifting 2 days a week, cut drinking for the month, and have started eating much better.  Weighed myself on Jan 1 and it was the most I've been in like 7 years.  I've already dropped 8 lbs and expect to do this for the next 6 weeks.  Goal is to lose 20 total by then and see where I'm at, but things are looking good so far!

Happy New Year y'all!!!

Your weight cuts are incredible.  It took me three months to shed 5lbs.  I’d like to drop another five, but the timeframe is probably six months.  I really hate being in a calorie deficit.  I need to let it develop gradually. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Your weight cuts are incredible.  It took me three months to shed 5lbs.  I’d like to drop another five, but the timeframe is probably six months.  I really hate being in a calorie deficit.  I need to let it develop gradually. 

I hate calorie deficits, so I want them to be as short as possible, aiming for a 20% cut. Once I cut alcohol I can usually shed the extra fat quickly.

Then again, I’m also starting at 30 lbs heavier than you, so it’s easier these first few weeks.

7 hours ago, aceluby said:

I hate calorie deficits, so I want them to be as short as possible, aiming for a 20% cut. Once I cut alcohol I can usually shed the extra fat quickly.

Then again, I’m also starting at 30 lbs heavier than you, so it’s easier these first few weeks.

Well quite. The amount of exercise required to deal with the calories from alcohol is one of the greatest injustices in the world. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 3:22 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Well quite. The amount of exercise required to deal with the calories from alcohol is one of the greatest injustices in the world. 

so true. i miss being in my early 20s being able to drink most the night,  grab a few hours of sleep and go play soccer or go for a run. i don't recover or metabolize like i used to.

personally had a pretty rough fall/winter mentally that transferred into physically. ended up drinking too much, eating poorly and not working out. 

inspired by the spouse working out each day i forced myself back to it. alternative days of high intensity climb rides and endurance rides with a low intensity recovery once a week. 

went hard in the discipline department and cut out all alcohol and am giving an entirely plant-based diet a go. 

already seeing results and feeling better.

i am someone who needs something to work for. it cannot just be a infinite loop. so i think I'm going to do a charity ride that is 300 miles over three days in May. but because I'm a moron i will ride either fixed gear if my route is all paved or single speed if gravel trails.