Exercise & Fitness: it’s a marathon, not a sprint

Iskaral Pust

1 hour ago, baxus said:

I've never been much of a cyclist but have some friends who are into it and through them I found out that there really is no upper limit to bike prices.

One of my friends spent £1500 on a wheel. 

Another one who knows a fuck load about it (he builds bikes for others) said there are huge diminishing returns from about £1000 upwards for a full bike. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

I've negotiated a buy price on a second hand 2016 Brompton for AU$1800(~£1020). Seller's located a couple hours up the coast from Sydney by train so I'll go there next weekend to view it and buy it if all is well. I had considered buying one brand new but that would mean an overnight train down to Melbourne, to the only Brompton store in Australia, and then forking out a minimum AU$2800(£1585).

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Whatever the cost, can they just make a bike with a comfortable seat...

Absolutely. Came across a sale this weekend on bike accessories and one of the first things I bought was a memory seat cover. Pamper your ass!

Good workouts for me this weekend: shoulder press and pull-ups on Saturday, then squats and deadlifts on Sunday.  I’ll try to do bench press and rowing midweek.

Of my upper body sessions, I had prioritized bench press and rowing for too long, and those lifts had developed more than the others.  So for the past month or more so I have been prioritizing shoulder press and pull-ups instead, which has driven some progress.  Considering I weigh close to 200lbs now, pull-ups are tougher but still going well for five or six sets of eight.  Imagine what it will be like when I cut 15lbs.

On 4/16/2022 at 8:39 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Bike finally fixed. 415 quid for parts and labour. Thieving fucks. But it's getting desperate, weight gain has been dramatic.  

After 5 weeks and counting my arse is going to kill with heavy mileage. 

To say I'm fucking furious is an understatement. After dropping all that money, one of the bits that needed replaced (rear derailleur) snapped off on my commute, jammed in my wheel, threw me towards oncoming traffic (I very nearly shit myself) which I just missed, and has fucked my back. 

Thankfully I was only 2 miles from another branch of the store that did the work so I could walk my bike straight in.

It was very hard not to rant, but as someone who gets sick of getting the blame when others in my proffesion fuck up, I realised how pointless it would be. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Heading out for 3 days of rock climbing outside of Las Vegas!  Should be plenty of hiking as well - looking forward to seeing how much my last 6 months in the climbing gym serves me, but sounds like Red Rocks is a good place for learners/beginners.

My flight got delayed by the Biden visit :/. But got put onto a direct and almost 2x expensive flight.

My goal of running a marathon this year may have been overly ambitious. That said, I did just run a 5k without any training, given that I've just been doing yoga and light weights for the better part of the past year.

I need to go hiking, biking or play golf next weekend if the weather permits. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2022 at 7:14 AM, Chataya de Fleury said:

How achievable would a half marathon be? 

And, what’s the issue with going further? Is it leg pain, knee pain, do you run out of energy at mile 10? Those can al be fixed. Or is it simply the time commitment? Marathon training is truly a commitment.

I just started running (jogging, given this heat) again…furthest is 6.5 miles, and I am sloooow.

I could probably do one next spring. One issue though is I can't train during the winter unless I sign up for a gym, which at this point I probably should anyways. My home gym is pretty sweet, but all I've got for cardio is a stationary bike. 

Regarding my concerns, it's mostly a body type issue. I was a great sprinter in HS, but very average when it came to distance running. I once ran a sub five minute mile and a number of four minute ones on an elliptical, but after about four-five miles I can't maintain a fast pace and need to slow it down to 9-10 minute miles when running outside or on a treadmill. I'm guessing I'll probably need to average 12 minute miles to have any chance at completing a full marathon and I've never pushed myself anywhere close to that so I have no idea how my body will react.

And I have sorta, but not completely flat feet. Never affecting me playing sports, but I'm sure it will with distance running. I did do 3x30 with 30lb free weights the other day so that was pretty cool.