Exercise & Fitness: it’s a marathon, not a sprint

Iskaral Pust

As part of some goals I have for this year, I signed up for a gym via a discount available through work - $27/month.  They have sauna/steam, which I love, especially during winter.

Question is:  how do you put on muscle/weight?  I’ve upped my consumption by ~600 kcal per day (added a mid morning and afternoon protein snack, as well as a protein shake before bed), which should put me at around the 3030 I need to gain a pound a week…but I’m seeing very minimal scale movement, like within a half pound of baseline since I started 4 weeks ago.  

I am sure I am making a rookie mistake somewhere, either undercounting my macros, or maybe my energy expenditure (not using a fitness tracker)? I’m doing 3 days of strength training (have added weight every week), 2 days of at home abs/HIIT, and 1 day of 45-60min of zone 2 cardio, and am feeling more fit, and looking more defined - just no weight gain yet.  I’ve never done weight training outside of CrossFit like 10 years ago, and have never ever tried to gain weight before (i.e., bulk/cut) - any advice or pitfalls around this would be helpful!

3 hours ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Question is:  how do you put on muscle/weight?  I’ve upped my consumption by ~600 kcal per day (added a mid morning and afternoon protein snack, as well as a protein shake before bed), which should put me at around the 3030 I need to gain a pound a week…but I’m seeing very minimal scale movement, like within a half pound of baseline since I started 4 weeks ago.  

You put on muscle VERY slowly, nowhere near the pound a week range. If that's the result you are expecting, you'll only get disappointed. If you got near a pound of muscle per month that would be a great result.

Also, don't forget that training 6 days a week is bound to burn some fat so that would affect the number on the scale.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally cleared to return to lifting weights, but I was told I have to start as if I was lifting for the first time. Still no running until I can walk a few miles with zero discomfort. Thankfully the snow is mostly done and the trails will be safe again. 

Happy to get back at it, but god knows how much I've lost during the last four plus months (and I've gained like 15 pounds which sucks). Oh well. 

• 4 weeks later...

PSA: Remember not to be stupid when lifting weights. 

I tugged something in my neck while not setting a dumbbell down correctly.

I was punished for it all day today, and will probably suffer for it tomorrow as well. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

• 1 month later...

I joked around about buying a decent rowing machine and did so just before I broke my foot. Finally used it today and liked it a lot. A combination of it, adjustable free weights, yoga, pilates, jogging and biking should help fix a half year of losses and overall misery. Maybe by the end of summer. Everything takes time though. Thankfully I learned how to meditate during the pandemic, which will also help. But I think, or just hope, I'm ready to get back to finding myself. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

I'm gradually returning to regular running in the last three months and so far, so good, my knee seems fine. I try not to overwieght it of course , so I'm still far from intensity from before the injury, but I feel like I'm on the right path at least. I manage about 3 trainings a week, 7-10 k per run, including at least one anaerobic training. Feels good to be out there again.

Plus as much cycling as the time allows, and one 1,5k swimming per week.

Planning on returning to running on days when I'm not lifting weights. Nothing too much, I'll stick to 5k(ish) distances for a while, working up to around 40-45 minute runs.

Who knows, maybe I will even get back into it and start with half-marathons again, but at the moment it doesn't seem likely.

My workouts have been good lately.  I built back some better consistency (but still below target) until I got sick this past week.  My strength surprisingly had dropped off very little during my months of distraction and rebounded quickly. I’ll return to the gym over the weekend and start my outdoor swimming season soon too.

Although I feel like I’m carrying 10lbs of flab (I’m 200lbs at 6’0) that I’d like to lose and return to my leaner days of yore, when I’ve worn a T-short to the office on recent casual days I got a lot of comments about how well I looked, along with random colleagues asking me if I’ve been hitting the gym at lot.  These aren’t tight T-shirts, and I think my usual dress shirts are pretty fitted, but apparently the difference was shocking enough to elicit a lot of comments.  I think for guys with my build there may actually be a trade-off that when I’m as lean as I like to be, it actually makes the physique under clothes less impressive.  It’s not like I’m walking around shirtless.

• 1 month later...

Wow, well over a month without anyone posting here. Must be a record. :D 

Anyway, I've gone back to group training and am loving it at the moment. I've also added running once or twice a week. Nothing major, just 30 minutes (I make it to a bit over 5k in that time). Now I'm looking into some other activity that I could take up to complement my workouts. Was thinking about some martial sports (judo or jiu-jitsu or something like that) but I don't see the point in doing that less than 3-4 times a week. After that I was thinking about climbing, and I'm currently at that point. If that also requires 3-4 times a week, I'll likely switch between running and swimming until I come up with something long term.

I'll post....as many of you know, I've been diabetic for ~ 15 years. I was prescribed ozempic last year, the consequence of which is that I am now at a weight of ~ 125 lb (56 kg for you Eurocommies), making me one of those skinny b*tches no one likes. I'm worried I've been losing muscle as well, so I started adding more protein to my diet and doing a little bit of weights. Would really like to do more, but right now its just dumbbell/kettleball stuff + crunches, something that doesn't require going to the gym. Not sure if its enough though.

To put this in context, I haven't been 125lb since I was 14-15.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

To put this in context, I haven't been 125lb since I was 14-15.

Er, yeah, depending on your general size I'd be starting to get a little concerned that's a bit too low of a weight. I suppose you're aware of it and presumably your doctor is too.

I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis since lockdown. I've tried various things to fix it but basically it seems what you need to do is just rest it and I don't really want to. I gave in though and I've not been running on the road since Christmas and I haven't really done anything since the end of the rugby season. It feels a bit better now in general so I'm going to give preseason for rugby a go and see what it's like/try and get fit.

I’ve switched to swimming before breakfast at weekends to make it more likely that I can hit the gym later that same day.  Last summer it was tough to swim in the late afternoon and then go straight to lifting weights.

We’ve been very busy on weekends, which has been talking away time for exercise.  I’m still getting a decent amount of exercise but would like more.  Midweek is almost always too busy with work.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis since lockdown. I've tried various things to fix it but basically it seems what you need to do is just rest it and I don't really want to. 

I developed some too during lockdown (too much time at a standing desk on Zoom?) and it threatens to come back every so often.  I found that using a massage ball helps a lot.  My wife had it too for longer and got similar relief — and she says extra calf stretching helps her too.

I found some videos on YouTube that showed some massage techniques.

14 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’ve switched to swimming before breakfast at weekends to make it more likely that I can hit the gym later that same day.  Last summer it was tough to swim in the late afternoon and then go straight to lifting weights.

Why not flip it? Do some cardio, lift weights for however long and then finish with swimming for 15-30 minutes. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why not flip it? Do some cardio, lift weights for however long and then finish with swimming for 15-30 minutes. 

After a weights session, there’s no way I have enough left in the tank for swimming.  Besides, I usually finish weights after dark and it’s more enjoyable to swim in sunlight (it’s an outdoor pool).

11 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

After a weights session, there’s no way I have enough left in the tank for swimming.  Besides, I usually finish weights after dark and it’s more enjoyable to swim in sunlight (it’s an outdoor pool).

To each their own, but I found swimming after lifting to be pretty enjoyable back when I was doing it (and I really like swimming at night in an outdoor pool). 

Idk how you have the energy to lift as late as you do because you go pretty hard and I know you sometimes put in some pretty long hours at work plus all the family stuff. If I was in your shoes I'd probably want to go to bed early to knock it out in the morning. But in the end we all have to do what works for us. I need to get back to being more consistent. Breaking my foot is no longer an excuse as it's mostly healed up (it's still incredibly tight, but structurally there shouldn't be anything wrong anymore). 

10 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis since lockdown. I've tried various things to fix it but basically it seems what you need to do is just rest it and I don't really want to. I gave in though and I've not been running on the road since Christmas and I haven't really done anything since the end of the rugby season. It feels a bit better now in general so I'm going to give preseason for rugby a go and see what it's like/try and get fit.

When I hurt my feet (not plantar fasciitis but achilles enthesitis) I had to stop running for 2 years before it got better. Unfortunately rest really does help more than anything else! I hope yours clears up soon!

Anyone have ideas for exercises to do with long covid/chronic fatigue?? I’m terrified of getting worse but I’m so frustrated because I had started getting really fit again prior to getting ill & I actually have the motivation for once (just not the strength lol) 

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Anyone have ideas for exercises to do with long covid/chronic fatigue?? I’m terrified of getting worse but I’m so frustrated because I had started getting really fit again prior to getting ill & I actually have the motivation for once (just not the strength lol) 

I do hope you are feeling better. I would just start with walking at an easy pace, going longer distances as you regain stamina. 

Stay strong.

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Anyone have ideas for exercises to do with long covid/chronic fatigue?

Do flat on your back on the mat/floor stretches and very gentle and slow callisthenic movements, with your legs and your abdomen and core.  Use your arms too, and if possible start those using 1 lb. weights. Always give attention to your breathing.  Start with very few and very slow.  This will give you a good foundation for more vigorous, upright movement, and to restart biking or whatever aerobic movement you prefer.

Because of my disc and vertebrae injuries taking me out for a while, I've frequently had to start over again. So I can testify this really works.  The weight work when what passes for normal with me -- and never more than 5 lbs, since more puts too much stress on my back -- has made it possible to come back from illness and injury faster each time I've gone down, even though I'm now older.  That weight work helps keep and increase bone density, which is ever more important the longer one is alive.

Which exercises are best for you, only you can know, and you have to experiment, and check out various things.  Doing it at home is easy too.  All you need is a mat and weights, and the space to extend your arms and legs as far as you can make them go.