Great videos on what King Bran represents!

GameofThrones Fan 1994

Bran may become the ruler of the north after the failures of Ned, Stark, Robb Stark and Jon Snow.  But he will rule from the bottom of that tree.  He will be the king of winter and rule over the walking ice wights.

The connection between Bran and the Fisher King has been out way before the TV show made Bran king. I think Bran will closely follow the trope of the Fisher King.

The problem is that Bran has been terribly written in the TV show, mostly because of D&D's apparent dislike and/or disinterest of magic and the supernatural of ASOIAF. None of the other characters reacted realistically to Branbot 9000 either.

Bran becoming king is apparently one of the demands made by GRRM. It will be totally different in the books for sure. Definitely no "Lord of the Six Kingdoms" ruling from King's Landing, elected by a nonsenical council. Nor will he be an all-knowing robot.

19 hours ago, the Other Wolf said:

What in the books leads you to think Bran will be King of the North or 7K?

I know this wasn't directed towards me but I have an answer for you.

Bran is and has always been Robb's rightful heir, even if you factor in Sansa's disinheritance and Jon's legitimization. As Robb's heir, Bran is the true King of the North and the Trident...and, with Lysa out of the way and Sansa slated to be the de facto ruler, probably the Vale too. When you also consider that Bran is practically the true heir of Harrenhal as well, that gives Bran rule of well over half of the continent already. And I think the people of the North, Riverlands and the Vale would prefer to be ruled by a son of Ned Stark and a grandson of Hoster Tully instead of yet another temperamental youth and a council of mostly self-serving schemers in King's Landing.

Jon is a Stark by blood but not by name: he is a trueborn Targaryen and, arguably, the true heir to the Iron Throne. Let's say Jon and Dany marry and join their different claims together (which is very likely but that's a different post)...or let's say that they don't. It doesn't really matter in this case.

What does matter is if something happens to Jon, Dany and/or any children they conceive (which is extremely likely), then the Iron Throne -- by law and precedent -- will pass to Jon's closest and oldest male relative...which would be Bran.

Do you understand now? There is a clear path for Bran to become king of either all Westeros or just the northern half.

6 minutes ago, the Other Wolf said:

What I,  and it seems the website/moderators, think is this post did not belong in the book section. 

Do you understand now?

No I don't understand.

I came after the thread was moved. But didn't I answer your question about how is Bran on track to becoming king?

1 minute ago, BlackLightning said:

No I don't understand

Clearly.

I posted when this thread was in the book section. 

You know the section where we discuss the books only?

I understand it was the book section.

I also understand you took my statement to mean I don't understand pathways Bran could achieve becoming King. Then made the snarky comment asking if I understand now, like I am the person who lacked any understanding of where this was posted.

So here we are.

Do you now understand?

:cheers:

Just now, the Other Wolf said:

Clearly.

I also understand you took my statement to mean I don't understand pathways Bran could achieve becoming King. Then made the snarky comment asking if I understand now, like I am the person who lacked any understanding of where this was posted.

So here we are.

Do you now understand?

Now, the thing that I don't understand is your attitude.

It took me some time to realize your initial question was not a question at all but a veiled, passive-aggressive jab at the thread creator. I didn't even think that you were in any confusion of where it was posted. I took it as a legitimate question.

Thus, my post was about Bran becoming king. Not about if the thread was posted in the wrong place, not about being snarky to you, not about a lack of understanding, etc.

42 minutes ago, the Other Wolf said:

Clearly.

So here we are.

Do you now understand?

I understand that if

35 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

I don't understand is your attitude

I apologize. 

I could have reacted to you questioning my knowledge of this better.

I could have also stated it was a book only forum in order to help others understand the root of my post. Especially since it was bound to be moved.

I thought highlighting the section referencing the show followed by my comment was pretty straight forward and not meant as veiled or passive aggressive. 

On 8/12/2021 at 6:01 PM, Firefae said:

The problem is that Bran has been terribly written in the TV show, mostly because of D&D's apparent dislike and/or disinterest of magic and the supernatural of ASOIAF.

That seems to be an unfounded myth buzzphrase, I don't see how it's true at all  - looks like they were just generally scatterbrained, lazy and tired, across all the storylines.

On 8/14/2021 at 12:06 AM, Pink Fat Rast said:

That seems to be an unfounded myth buzzphrase, I don't see how it's true at all  - looks like they were just generally scatterbrained, lazy and tired, across all the storylines.

They said from the beginning they wanted to focus more on the politics and not the magic and prophecies. 

Also I'm sorry if it's wrong to discuss the TV show here at all. 

47 minutes ago, Firefae said:

They said from the beginning they wanted to focus more on the politics and not the magic and prophecies. 

Also I'm sorry if it's wrong to discuss the TV show here at all. 

Well idk, what I know they said is that this is what they told HBO to get greenlit, but they were lying to them lol

But then maybe they've said a whole bunch of conteadictory things, so maybe lol

(This thread's been moved to the show sub btw)

17 hours ago, Pink Fat Rast said:

Well idk, what I know they said is that this is what they told HBO to get greenlit, but they were lying to them lol

But then maybe they've said a whole bunch of conteadictory things, so maybe lol

(This thread's been moved to the show sub btw)

There are some people who think Benioff is a pathological liar and a narc, and that they conned their way into making this show. I wouldn't be surprised.

I do think they didn't care at all about the magical plotline, they liked the edgy stuff, not the mysticism.

3 hours ago, Firefae said:

There are some people who think Benioff is a pathological liar and a narc, and that they conned their way into making this show. I wouldn't be surprised.

I do think they didn't care at all about the magical plotline, they liked the edgy stuff, not the mysticism.

Well they did con their way into being showrunners with minimal TV experience, and as I just said above, they conned HBO into greenlighting a full-blown fantasy show under the pretense that it wasn't one - or, more precisely, that it wouldn't escalate into one by the end, even though they were planning just that (and got HBO to go along given the high success).

They said sth about walking a tight rope and not having "too much fantasy" in there, because that would be perceived as tropey/gimmicky by "everyone outside the fantasy fandom" and they wanted to reach a more universal viewership or something;

however:

1) one wouldn't guess that from the late seasons, and just how "tropey" the fantasy stuff ended up being - Bran and Arya storylines in particular, but everything else too;

1a) neither would one guess that from the pure *amount* of fantasy and mysticism esp. in s6-8 - so it seems like they weren't following their own stated intentions while actually doing the show, and it's just sth from their interviews?

2) this kinda echoes Martin's own statements about the books and how "even at the end it won't be as much magic as in typical fantasy" - maybe they kinda amplified that attitude in those statements, but it's not like it came out of nowhere.

Also there's that weird thing I never fully got, how the whole show team (them and at least some of the cast) somehow started imagining themselves as being the ones who were breaking through the "fantasy ghetto" - while constantly talking about Lotr which was... a commercial and critical ultrahit that won an entire Oscar year?

Like how much wider could the audience get lol - other than winning over some fringe "fantasy haters" I guess.

So yeah lots of confusion and cognitive dissonance all over the place - I don't really get much of this tbh

Archived