Covid-19 #36: I am the Apples and the Oranges

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

The UK did not stick to the intervals recommended by the manufacturers either afaik. 

Here in Austria we did stick to it for a few months then switched to 6 weeks and switched back again once supply exceeded demand.

There is a lot of data out there I guess I  dunno if it is collected though.

Six weeks for Pfizer and Moderna is within the recommendations. So is 12 weeks for AstraZeneca. It's 3-6 weeks for Pfizer, 4-6 weeks for Moderna, and 4-12 weeks for AstraZeneca.

9 minutes ago, Loge said:

Six weeks for Pfizer and Moderna is within the recommendations. So is 12 weeks for AstraZeneca. It's 3-6 weeks for Pfizer, 4-6 weeks for Moderna, and 4-12 weeks for AstraZeneca.

The maximum time was no supposed to be used in normal situations only when necessary. I actually asked some from Pfizer about this. 3 weeks was the recommendation as you can also see on all vaccination cards from Pfizer. They tested up to six weeks but that's it. It is meant as a time window for people who were unable to get the 2nd shot after 3 weeks(mainly illness). It looks like it was no problem to extend intervals even beyond that but that was never backed by the manufacturer. The person I asked as not allowed to comment on that. 

Posted this to my FB feed, but want to share with you all here

Today I visited a local farm shop (not naming to protect identities). The owner was outside and gave me this kinda funny look. I did my shopping and when I got to the till he was waiting for me. He asked "You where making the ventilators last year, weren't you? I was hoping you would come back"
"Yes" I sheepishly said. It was just over a year ago we finished making the ventilators, and I only did the IT support for them when on night shift. over people where far more involved.
"I just wanted to thank you, cos I can thank you and I can't thank everyone" He would not let me pay for my shopping, packed it all up into my bags and carried it out to my car. I'm feeling rather embarrassed by all this. Two days ago his daughter was taken off a ventilator and is doing well.
His daughter is 19, and was healthy. She had had just one vaccine. He thinks she caught Covid when she went to watch the football.
His daughter is lucky, she is gonna survive. But she still ended up on a ventilator and it was not certain she would live. Let me repeat she was 19 and healthy. Get your vaccinations, wear a mask.

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

The maximum time was no supposed to be used in normal situations only when necessary. I actually asked some from Pfizer about this. 3 weeks was the recommendation as you can also see on all vaccination cards from Pfizer. They tested up to six weeks but that's it. It is meant as a time window for people who were unable to get the 2nd shot after 3 weeks(mainly illness). It looks like it was no problem to extend intervals even beyond that but that was never backed by the manufacturer. The person I asked as not allowed to comment on that. 

Well, the recommendations by the German Ständige Impfkommission differ from the manufacturer's then. They actually recommend the longer interval.

https://www.gelbe-liste.de/coronavirus/corona-impfstoffe-vergleich#Anwendungshinweise-der-STIKO

34 minutes ago, Loge said:

Well, the recommendations by the German Ständige Impfkommission differ from the manufacturer's then. They actually recommend the longer interval.

https://www.gelbe-liste.de/coronavirus/corona-impfstoffe-vergleich#Anwendungshinweise-der-STIKO

I know. The Austrian equivalent of the commision changed that too. I would rather trust the manufacturer than a group that is influenced by politicians though. The German one is more independent than ours I believe however. 

Speaking of Germany: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/11/nurse-in-germany-suspected-of-replacing-covid-vaccines-with-saline-solution

The nurse is suspected of injecting salt solution into people’s arms instead of genuine doses at a vaccination centre in Friesland – a rural district near the North Sea coast – in the early spring.

“I am totally shocked by this episode,” Sven Ambrosy, a local councillor, said on Facebook as local authorities issued the call on Tuesday to about 8,600 residents who may have been affected.

The motive of the nurse, who was not named, was not clear but she had aired sceptical views about vaccines in social media posts, police investigators said.

You have to wonder how often this happens....what a strange world the future has turned out to be.

12 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Speaking of Germany: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/11/nurse-in-germany-suspected-of-replacing-covid-vaccines-with-saline-solution

You have to wonder how often this happens....what a strange world the future has turned out to be.

Would have helped if the German authorities did not trivialize these groups. I guess if a group consists mainly of far right folks the police does not like acting against it. They refused to prosecute the people forging vaccine certificates too. 

I guess it is not as bad as in Austria but here the police walked with far right anti-measure protestors while enforcing the law against left wing counter-protestors.

11 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Dinner. Blessedly alone. Though sometimes people try and talk to me and I try not to slap them. I don’t have clients in my role. Thank god.

I generally work 10 am - 1 am or 3 am during the week and maybe another 12 hours on the weekend, so I do a dinner with two drinks at around either 7 pm or 9 pm. My work hours are generally incomprehensible to anyone outside certain related industries. This is definitely paid for out of my salary, not an expense account, but I like nice restaurants. Keep in mind, restaurants in a large city are much more expensive than a comparable restaurant in the Midwest. 

I don’t have time to cook and I don’t care to. I have my indulgence in my life of dinner, and it’s my thing.

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously dinner with two alcoholic drinks makes this much more understandable. Still, I have the feeling your definition of a "nice" restaurant would be my "fancy upscale" restaurant. I am sure there are lots of restaurants in Atlanta that would be perfectly acceptable to me where one can get such a dinner for one person for well below $75. :)

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Would have helped if the German authorities did not trivialize these groups. I guess if a group consists mainly of far right folks the police does not like acting against it. They refused to prosecute the people forging vaccine certificates too. 

I guess it is not as bad as in Austria but here the police walked with far right anti-measure protestors while enforcing the law against left wing counter-protestors.

You do know that a big percentage of the German anti vaxxer are leftist and green leaning folks? Its not so simple as it is  (or it seems to be ) in the US where it seems largely to be republicans. Here the group is very mixed. Traditionally being anti vaccination is being part of green and Waldorf school upbringing ("the body needs to establish a "natural" immunisation by infection, not unnatural chemical invasion of the body by the big bad pharma industry"). Now these people a mixing with right leaning ("the state is bad") folks, building quite an explosive mixture.

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I know. The Austrian equivalent of the commision changed that too. I would rather trust the manufacturer than a group that is influenced by politicians though. The German one is more independent than ours I believe however. 

Was about to say, the Stiko is not exactly doing as they are told. Check the discussion for vaccine recommendation for kids, that politics pushed and, and where the Stiko has refused to play ball thus far.

31 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

You do know that a big percentage of the German anti vaxxer are leftist and green leaning folks? Its not so simple as it is  (or it seems to be ) in the US where it seems largely to be republicans. Here the group is very mixed. Traditionally being anti vaccination is being part of green and Waldorf school upbringing ("the body needs to establish a "natural" immunisation by infection, not unnatural chemical invasion of the body by the big bad pharma industry"). Now these people a mixing with right leaning ("the state is bad") folks, building quite an expolosive mixture. 

Anyone who walks with Nazis during protests is either one or an ally. The might pretend otherwise but those people don't mind being with people who are racist, anti-Lgbt and so on. 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Freedumb at all costs at work.

TEXAS GOVERNOR GREG ABBOTT REQUESTS EMERGENCY MEDICAL HELP FROM OTHER STATES WHILE CONTINUING TO BLOCK MEASURES TO SLOW COVID PANDEMIC"

Kind of hard to keep saying that not masking up is a personal choice when you also need to beg the Federal government for aid because the spreading is so bad.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

"I’m legit worried about the level of rage."

Personally, I'm not worried. I actually welcome it. It's long overdue. Responsible and sensible people should've been furious a year ago at the crowds of useless fools who didn't give a damn about covid and helped caused the massive autumn wave. Considering the massive overlap between these jerks and the unvaccinated / anti-covid-vaxx, I can't wait for the mass of people to openly consider them as public threats and enemies of mankind.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Freedumb at all costs at work.

TEXAS GOVERNOR GREG ABBOTT REQUESTS EMERGENCY MEDICAL HELP FROM OTHER STATES WHILE CONTINUING TO BLOCK MEASURES TO SLOW COVID PANDEMIC"

My employer had to send out a notice to everyone to not bully the anti-vax people.  All the vaccinated people I know are seething at this point.  We've gone back to 100% mask wearing, and many of our buildings are old and don't have air conditioning.  

I myself regularly have to do my anger control mantras when I'm in meetings with people whose political views on the subject I know and detest.   And they have the gall to bring up the need for calm and polite political discourse after 4 years of that orange filth running out of their mouths.

2 hours ago, JoannaL said:

You do know that a big percentage of the German anti vaxxer are leftist and green leaning folks? Its not so simple as it is  (or it seems to be ) in the US where it seems largely to be republicans. Here the group is very mixed. Traditionally being anti vaccination is being part of green and Waldorf school upbringing ("the body needs to establish a "natural" immunisation by infection, not unnatural chemical invasion of the body by the big bad pharma industry"). Now these people a mixing with right leaning ("the state is bad") folks, building quite an explosive mixture.

Many of the "anti-vaxxers" in the USA before Covid were also left-wing. I believe there was a poll several years ago on the issue of people who were against vaccinating children because they falsely believed it led to autism, and in the USA there were about equal numbers on the Left and the Right who held such views. I haven't yet seen whether recent events have actually pushed left-wing anti-vaxxers in the USA to be more in favor of vaccination in general since being against the Covid vaccines has become a right-wing trademark. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Many of the "anti-vaxxers" in the USA before Covid were also left-wing. I believe there was a poll several years ago on the issue of people who were against vaccinating children because they falsely believed it led to autism, and in the USA there were about equal numbers on the Left and the Right who held such views. I haven't yet seen whether recent events have actually pushed left-wing anti-vaxxers in the USA to be more in favor of vaccination in general since being against the Covid vaccines has become a right-wing trademark. 

Before COVID, anti-vax was a wierd fringe group that wasn't political.  There's probably still some of those folk on the left, but anti-vax has become a republican platform at this point that they're using as part of their culture war / moral panic strategy.  People who weren't otherwise anti-vax, now are, because fox news/oan/am radio screeches about it endlessly over and over.

Archived