Favorite Quotes

chrisjordan0282

As a teacher, my favorite quote is "I teach therefore I drink."

The 3 quotes in my signature are also important to me for various reasons:

"The soldier and the hunchback.  The exclamation and the question mark.  Keep asking questions until the pattern becomes clear.  Until the hunchback becomes the soldier."  -- from Pax Americana by Grant Morrison

"But even if you've got a machine gun and they've got rocks, if you don't have enough bullets for all of them, your ass is gonna get stoned."  -- EHK 

"They had a sign saying 'Dolly for President,' and I said, 'No thank you.' We've had enough boobs in the White House."  -- Dolly Parton

I used to have this Lewis Black quote in my signature, but it stopped being pertinent in 2016:  "Our (USA's) two-party system is a bowl of shit looking in the mirror at itself."

Edited by Teng Ai Hui

Where to start? 

All my life I have rebelled against authority. For my punishment I have become one.  Albert Einstein 

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.  Schiller

Of course my signature quote also. 

Morality like art means drawing a line someplace. (Oscar Wilde)

Nice reminder of the relativity of morals. Also goes hand in hand with my sig.

Close runner up:

I am just a musical prostitute, my dear. (Freddie Mercury)

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Morality like art means drawing a line someplace. (Oscar Wilde)

<pedant mode>

Wasn't it G. K. Chesterton? Certainly I am sure that Oscar Wilde himself would have shuddered at the word "someplace". :)

</pedant mode>

4 hours ago, A wilding said:

<pedant mode>

Wasn't it G. K. Chesterton? Certainly I am sure that Oscar Wilde himself would have shuddered at the word "someplace". :)

</pedant mode>

I think it's Wilde.

Probably one of those aphorisms that get attributed to different people.

Like many others have said of quotes in their sig - I've always liked the Schopenhauer quote below.  It seems pretty straight forward.  But I love the little, subtle shift in that last part where it leaps right over simple acceptance to "is accepted as self-evident" that I think sums humanity up pretty well (at least in that sense). 

Edited by Prince of the North

23 hours ago, maarsen said:

"He's from the shallow end of the gene pool." 

A supervisor I knew explaining the difference between two brothers. 

You know that is almost a quote from Lion King? 

Scar (talking to his brother):  Well, as far as brains go, I got the lion's share. But when it comes to brute strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool.

I'm no Christian, but I'm obsessed with Lucifer (Illuminati Lightbringing themes and all...)

The Fall of Lucifer

12 “How you are fallen from heaven,
O [a]Lucifer, son of the morning!
How you are cut down to the ground,
You who weakened the nations!
13 For you have said in your heart:
‘I will ascend into heaven,
I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
I will also sit on the mount of the congregation
On the farthest sides of the north;
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
I will be like the Most High.’
15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol,
To the [b]lowest depths of the Pit.

16 “Those who see you will gaze at you,
And consider you, saying:
Is this the man who made the earth tremble,
Who shook kingdoms,
17 Who made the world as a wilderness
And destroyed its cities,
Who [c]did not open the house of his prisoners?’

And of course....SJ's Ezekiel 25:17, no links embeds needed

So many words of wisdom from our indigenous peoples-

"It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand."
- Apache Tribe

When the white man discovered this country, Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, women did all the work.  White man thought he could improve on a system like this. – Cherokee

Before our white brothers arrived to make us civilized men,we didn't have any kind of prison. Because of this, we had no delinquents. We had no locks nor keys and therefore among us there were no thieves. When someone was so poor that he couldn't afford a horse, a tent or a blanket, he would, in that case, receive it all as a gift. We were too uncivilized to give great importance to private property. We didn't know any kind of money and consequently, the value of a human being was not determined by his wealth. We had no written laws laid down, no lawyers, no politicians, therefore we were not able to cheat and swindle one another. We were really in bad shape before the white men arrived and I don't know how to explain how we were able to manage without these fundamental things that (so they tell us) are so necessary for a civilized society.
Lame Deer