Favorite Quotes

chrisjordan0282

If people bring so much courage to this world, the world has to kill them to break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave all impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too, but there will be no special hurry.

Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell To Arms

• 3 months later...

I've been thinking about my favorite TV quote a lot recently.

"Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!"  -- Dougal from Father Ted

"I won't change my mind, because I don't have to. Cause I'm an American. I won't change my mind on anything, regardless of the facts that are set out before me. I'm dug in, and I'll never change."

-Ronald McDonald

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

"I won't change my mind, because I don't have to. Cause I'm an American. I won't change my mind on anything, regardless of the facts that are set out before me. I'm dug in, and I'll never change."

-Ronald McDonald

I think this might be misattributed, this has the tone of Colonel Sanders (the Elon Musk of chicken).  I know they shared similar views on labor and animal rights, but most of Ronald’s quotes end with “ *creepy laugh*” or “*children scream*”

4 hours ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

I think this might be misattributed, this has the tone of Colonel Sanders (the Elon Musk of chicken).  I know they shared similar views on labor and animal rights, but most of Ronald’s quotes end with “ *creepy laugh*” or “*children scream*”

Wrong Ronald McDonald.

These ones I'm quite fond of:

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. (Einstein)
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell (Jung)
It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live (Marcus Aurelius)

4 hours ago, 1066 Larry said:

There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

- Talking Heads

We need a worst quotes thread:

"Only time will tell if we stand the test of time"

-Van Halen

“Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, 'love' is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and strangely enough, not many meatbags would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose... against statistically long odds...

HK 47, KOTOR II

Gamer Nostalgia.

As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: you liberate a city by destroying it. Words are to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests.
Gore Vidal

23 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I wish I had a river, I could skate away on

- Joni Mitchell

That is a quote I often think about.

Oh, look, I posted this and now I have a post on my Facebook page from BBC Radio 4, with stories about how people have been affected by the song River. I’ll link it once I get home.

From one of the underrated 90s teen movies:

Grandpa : Superman isn't brave.

Angus : Did you take your pills this morning?

Grandpa : [chuckles]  You don't understand. He's smart, handsome, even decent. But he's not brave. No, listen to me. Superman is indestructible, and you can't be brave if you're indestructible. It's people like you and your mother. People who are different, and can be crushed and know it. Yet they keep on going out there every time.