Favorite Quotes

chrisjordan0282

"Plata O Plomo?"

-Pablo Escobar

Plata o plomo is a Colombian Spanish slang phrase that translates to “silver or lead.” A person saying the phrase is telling the listener to either accept a bribe (plata, meaning “silver,” a common slang term for money in Colombia) or lose their life (plomo, a metonym for “lead bullet”).

Overhead at a Zoom meeting between a music engineer and music editor:

"AI has come along at just the right time to save these tracks!"

They were talking about the messes that some boom tracks are, those recorded not by the video camera's own mic,  but outside that, and how to get the sound right on the video edits, for doing which an AI gadget has just come along that can separate and pull out one voice out of a group of voices, among other things, and then restore what that voice would be sounding like in person, for voicing on the video, where it may have lost in the mix otherwise, i.e. not heard.

• 3 weeks later...

"I can lose my hands, and still live. I can lose my legs and still live. I can lose my eyes and still live. I can lose my hair, eyebrows, nose, arms, and many other things and still live. But if I lose the air I die. If I lose the Sun I die. If I lose the Earth I die. If I lose the water I die. If I lose the plants and animals I die. All of these things are more a part of me, more essential to my every breath, than is my so-called body. What is my real body?” – Jack Forbes

• 6 months later...

"Find what you love and let it kill you."

"If you're going to try, go all the way."

-- Charles Bukowski

That's some phenomenol writing. Sounds like he was kinda horrible as a person, but what an insightful man with such applicable words. If you love gaming -- play -- and go all the way. If you love warfare -- fight -- and go all the way. If you love money -- hustle -- and go all the way. If you love family -- reproduce -- and go all the way.

On 12/25/2021 at 1:05 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

"Plata O Plomo?"

-Pablo Escobar

Plata o plomo is a Colombian Spanish slang phrase that translates to “silver or lead.” A person saying the phrase is telling the listener to either accept a bribe (plata, meaning “silver,” a common slang term for money in Colombia) or lose their life (plomo, a metonym for “lead bullet”).

A few more...

"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened" - Terry Pratchett (Boy do I feel that way!)

“Cats were the gangsters of the animal world, living outside the law and often dying there. There were a great many of them who never grew old by the fire.” -Stephen King (we adopted two kittens last year when we found a litter under our shed. The other 3 have been safely adopted)

My below quote was my mantra while going through a divorce years ago.

ON MONEY.

"Money is the wise man's religion."

-- Euripides

"Fortune favors the brave."

-- Virgil, et al.

"Play the game."

-- God Emperor

"I'm living in America. And in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now fucking pay me."

-- Brad Pitt

I have a new favourite, from Dune:

What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

In the film, I think it was shortened to “judge a man by what he hates” or something like that.

The more I think about it, the more I realise how true it is. What do you hate? Racism? Imperialism? Slavery? Gays? Libtards? It really does tell you loads about a person.

1 hour ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

I have a new favourite, from Dune:

In the film, I think it was shortened to “judge a man by what he hates” or something like that.

The more I think about it, the more I realise how true it is. What do you hate? Racism? Imperialism? Slavery? Gays? Libtards? It really does tell you loads about a person.

Erik of Hazelfield — not knowing the context, it sounds like a warning from an instructor; a lesson on concealing what you despise, to avoid an opponent targeting it as a vulnerability.

For example, if I’m known to despise close quarters combat, my enemy will judge me as someone to close the distance with before attacking, gaining advantage.