How are names represented in translation?

Anthony Appleyard

On 8/13/2021 at 11:55 PM, Pink Fat Rast said:

Idk that, however what I do know is that the German translation & dub are utter Scheissa and need to be avoided;

the French translation has been severely criticized for being "overtranslated" (like Blackfyre translated to “Feunoyr”); as a matter of fact even when names/places are perfectly translated, the english version always sounds better.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:23 AM, Nowy Tends said:

the French translation has been severely criticized for being "overtranslated" (like Blackfyre translated to “Feunoyr”); as a matter of fact even when names/places are perfectly translated, the english version always sounds better.

Yeah, "Jon Schnee" just isn't working either - even if you pronounce it as "Yon" (not sure how the show did it).

"Königslandung" or maybe fancier and medieval-er "des Königs Landung" or sth like that, would've worked really well - however 4 some reason those hacks went with "Königsmund" instead - I'm guessing old-timey for "Mündung" i.e. river mouth? But why lol, dude literally landed there on a dragon...

"Der Bluthund" is pretty cool though - "Hund" has a more "dog" vibe to it, so they solved that one well.

Can't think of any others atm, but yeah it generally has a reputation of being quite shite overall.

On 8/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, Pink Fat Rast said:

"Der Bluthund" is pretty cool though - "Hund" has a more "dog" vibe to it, so they solved that one well.

In French The Hound is "le limier", (= bloodhound but the word is generally used for "detective", rarely for dogs) which is stupid when we have "le molosse", a big, scary dog, the word sounds great in French and really fits Sandor Clegane.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 5:18 PM, Nowy Tends said:

In French The Hound is "le limier", (= bloodhound but the word is generally used for "detective", rarely for dogs) which is stupid when we have "le molosse", a big, scary dog, the word sounds great in French and really fits Sandor Clegane.

Oh so https://m.y outube.com/watch?v=XlaZTPYPFEA&3m49s then lol

Yeah, weird choice then, in that case.

Btw just remembered, "Graufreud" i.e. Greyjoy would be another successful example - sounds nice and middle agey kind of.

Some silver linings here and there, but the bad ones are just way too bad to handle.

• 9 months later...

This article from the wiki shows the translations of the House names (and their seats) into a few languages.

Most translators choose to translate the place names and maintain the family names unaltered, which render some weird results. (Yronwood de Paloferro, Blacktyde de Marea Negra, Hightower de Torralta, Banefort de Forte Desgraça...)

Archived