How should Rhaegar have handled things differently?

nyser1

On 8/10/2021 at 4:37 PM, nyser1 said:

Hypothetically, you are Rhaegar or a confidant of his present when Lyanna goes missing with him. Without the gift of foresight, what might you have done differently here? 

He has options but another one to consider is simply to leave for Essos. Take enough gold and live free in the Free cities.  His wife and children will be provided for. Task Arthur with the duty. King Aerys and Rhaella have Viserys to inherit Westerns. 

39 minutes ago, Kinola said:

Shouldn't Rhaegar have offered Aegon and Rhaenys up for marriage pact with the North? There was a marriage pact between Daeron II and Daenerys with House Martell. Why couldn't he have done the same, besides the words of whatever prophecy got him enthralled?

Was there anybody at that point who was of a proper age to marry Aegon and Rhaenys to? I think not.

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

Was there anybody at that point who was of a proper age to marry Aegon and Rhaenys to? I think not.

Well, not at that time, but perhaps if they'd given it a year or two then a Stark could've produced a bride for Aegon and/or a groom for Rhaenys.

12 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, that mistake's on Ned's head; he knew that Robert would disrespect Lyanna with his philandering behavior, yet still brought the suit to his father.

Rickard was the head of the house though. Any and all decisions would have gone through him.

10 hours ago, Kinola said:

Shouldn't Rhaegar have offered Aegon and Rhaenys up for marriage pact with the North? There was a marriage pact between Daeron II and Daenerys with House Martell. Why couldn't he have done the same, besides the words of whatever prophecy got him enthralled?

I think a second marriage could have been a big boon (if he took Lyanna as a wife and their children legitimate). Two children would have been excessive imo, and then you also have the Targaryen bloodlines that they love diversifying. Perhaps he offers his brother or his sister (not knowing the sex yet since unborn).

5 hours ago, nyser1 said:

Rickard was the head of the house though. Any and all decisions would have gone through him.

I think a second marriage could have been a big boon (if he took Lyanna as a wife and their children legitimate). Two children would have been excessive imo, and then you also have the Targaryen bloodlines that they love diversifying. Perhaps he offers his brother or his sister (not knowing the sex yet since unborn).

Second marriages are not a thing in Westeros, I'm lying, it's not a thing in the Greenlands. The Iron born still practice it.

It's not something the Greenlanders (North included) even care to consider anyway. A second marriage, besides being unlawful, only serves to open a rift with the church and the fanatics.

I don't know why fans consider an option that is never given for political disputes in Westeros, the ultimate panacea.

6 minutes ago, frenin said:

Second marriages are not a thing in Westeros, I'm lying, it's not a thing in the Greenlands. The Iron born still practice it.

It's not something the Greenlanders (North included) even care to consider anyway. A second marriage, besides being unlawful, only serves to open a rift with the church and the fanatics.

I don't know why fans consider an option that is never given for political disputes in Westeros, the ultimate panacea.

Basing it exclusively on Aegon’s precedent for Rhaegar. Hard of a sell as it may be.

On 8/15/2021 at 8:25 PM, Universal Sword Donor said:

Right?! If anyone is gonna fuck his sister, it's gonna be Ned. No one even liked Brandon

Not that I subscribe to B+L but... Brandon doesn't seem like he'd be overly concerned about things like consent if he wanted someone.

23 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Not that I subscribe to B+L but... Brandon doesn't seem like he'd be overly concerned about things like consent if he wanted someone.

I don't understand why people see Brandon as a rapist, the few interactions we have on him (feel free to correct me) are

1- He and Ned pissed at Rhaegar for giving Lyanna the queen of beauty

2- His duel with LF where he was more than honorable, taking of his armor to match his oponent and sparing the boy.

3- His romance with Barbrey that as far as we know was consensual

4- He helped Ned into dancing with Ashara

5- His stupidity on the whole Rhaegar come out and die

6- His dispair in strangling himself trying to save his father

Did I miss something?

52 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

I don't understand why people see Brandon as a rapist, the few interactions we have on him (feel free to correct me) are

1- He and Ned pissed at Rhaegar for giving Lyanna the queen of beauty

2- His duel with LF where he was more than honorable, taking of his armor to match his oponent and sparing the boy.

3- His romance with Barbrey that as far as we know was consensual

4- He helped Ned into dancing with Ashara

5- His stupidity on the whole Rhaegar come out and die

6- His dispair in strangling himself trying to save his father

Did I miss something?

The line from Lady Dustin that Brandon wasn't shy about taking what he wanted, I presume.

The rats were playing the game. Of that, I have no doubt. But I don’t think they were trying to murder every Targaryen. They were keeping the number of potential heirs low to avoid future rebellion. Aegon IV was just too prolific for them to keep the number of his bastards in check. There was a religious side to their motivations.  They support the seven. Any future ruler who supported the OG, R’hllor, DG, would threaten the seven’s hold on the monarchy. 

Archived