What If? (Spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

6 minutes ago, mormont said:

He's of noble birth, he's exploring the stars... probably makes more sense for T'Challa than for Quill, tbqh. 

Yea, but T'Challa is a prince not a lord. Those are two very different things. This honestly feels like a member berry to me.

3 hours ago, sifth said:

Yea, but T'Challa is a prince not a lord. Those are two very different things. This honestly feels like a member berry to me.

But Star Lord sounds a lot cooler than Star Prince.

On 8/18/2021 at 8:32 AM, Myrddin said:

Much better episode, IMO. Yes, bittersweet too with Boseman's last performance, but a lot more What If's explored and fun matchups. Especially

Reveal hidden contents

Reformed Thanos was more fun than it had a right to be.

It really was a much better episode.

16 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It really was a much better episode.

Agreed and it gives me hope for the series being completely different and potentially pretty dark. 

Turn Left in Doctor Who is a great example of one tiny difference having terrible consequences and im really hoping for something like that to happen. Eg what if nick fury's parents never met so he was never born and nobody was alive to put a team together to fight Loki in Avengers 1 and Loki wins.

8 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Agreed and it gives me hope for the series being completely different and potentially pretty dark. 

Turn Left in Doctor Who is a great example of one tiny difference having terrible consequences and im really hoping for something like that to happen. Eg what if nick fury's parents never met so he was never born and nobody was alive to put a team together to fight Loki in Avengers 1 and Loki wins.

It would likely have been Pierce or Ross putting them together, and having an entirely different agenda

It seems someone posted synopsises of all the episodes that seem accurate. 

Avengers Assassinated: During the timeframe dubbed as “Fury’s Big Week” (where TIH-IM2-Thor overlap) the potential recruits of the Avengers Initiative as systematically killed off, leaving Natasha Romanoff as the main suspect. When Thor himself is killed, Loki leads an army of Asgardians (Sif and The Warrior’s Three included) to Earth in order to get “justice”. With the true killer remaining at large, Fury needs to recruit a new team of Avengers if they want to have any chance at saving Earth from the Asgardian forces

Doctor Strange joins Dormammu: Stephen Strange firmly commits and falls in love with Christine Palmer only to lose her in a tragic car crash. Seeking a way to restore his hands and the love of his life, he is contacted by Dormammu, posing as a mirrored villain of the hero (in reference to Benedict playing both roles in the film). With the guidance of The Ancient One and Wong, Strange tries to repel the dark magic of Dormammu, facing off against himself. But is Strange’s heart in the right place, or is this just a further quest for power?

Party Thor: Thor, never having a brother in Loki, is an even more bullheaded version of the character. After committing a full act of war against the Frost Giants, Odin banishes Thor to Earth. Thor retains his Asgardian strength, but he doesn’t regain his worthiness. This leads to Thor becoming a party animal, and makes it mission to Thor the biggest rager Midgard has ever seen. But his actions have dire consequences for the universe, and he must regain his worthiness before it is too late.

Killmonger Saves Tony Stark: When Killmonger and his unit are sent to protect Tony Stark while overseas, he prevents Stark from ever gaining the arc reactor and becoming Iron Man. Tony, still receiving a slightly new perspective on life, befriends Killmonger, who eventually vents his frustrations to Tony about Wakanda. With Tony’s help, Killmonger returns to Wakanda and challenges T’Chaka for the throne, easily besting him. Killmonger makes plans for changes to Wakanda’s role in the world, opening itself up and proving relief for his people across the globe. After Stark reveals the secrets of Wakanda to Obadiah Stane he sees this as an opportunity to invade the country for its Vibranium, and kills Tony. Pepper is kept safe in Wakanda, and the nation bans together to keep Obadiah’s Iron Legion out of Wakanda.

Marvel Zombies: Opening in Lagos, we are shown quick bits of the opening of Civil War. Captain America’s team of Avengers (Steve, Wanda, Nat, and Sam) fail in preventing Crossbones from stealing a biological weapon, instead it gets released. Crossbones isn’t affected, but quickly is torn to pieces by Captain America. Flashing forward a couple years, and seeing many battles inbetween, only a ragtag group of survivors is left. The team consists of Winter Soldier, Spider-Man (with Strange’s cloak), Scott Lang (now just a head in a jar), Hope, Shuri, and Zemo. But when zombie Wanda and the Black Order threaten all of their existence, they make their final stand against their former friends.

The Contest of Champions: The Battle of New York. The Avengers are assembled and taking on the Chitauri army. Iron Man flies the Nuke through the portal, but it shuts before he makes it back through. Skyrocketed through space, he lands on Sakaar where he is found by Valkyrie. Thanos here was commanding his army directly from the ship, and was killed by the nuke. His daughter, Gamora, takes on the mantle of Mad Titan and makes it her duty to avenge her father and complete his mission, but after hunting down and killing Stark. On Sakaar, Tony is introduced to the Grandmaster and they hit it off, but he is still in search of a new champion. Tony is given access to all the the alien scraps he could dream of, and builds a new Sakkaran Armor which he uses to become Grandmaster’s new champion, defeating the likes of Man-Thing. When Gamora finds Stark on Sakaar all out war breaks out between the Tony, Valkyrie, and the Grandmaster’s forces against Gamora and her new army.

Ultron’s Victory in Sokovia: Ultron succeeds in merging himself with Vision’s body, and kills Bruce Banner before he can free Natasha. Ultron wipes out the rest of the Avengers, and with the full power of the mind stone realizes he can become even more powerful and sets his sights on the rest. Natasha is left on this world run by Ultron bots, and goes to an old Red Room bunker where she finds Alexei’s corpse and takes his shield in his memory. Across the universe Ultron has now gathered all the stones, and he becomes aware of The Watcher’s presence and the greater multiverse. He is forced to intervene for the first time, and Utau recruits Captain Carter, T’Challa Star Lord, Supreme Doctor Strange, King Killmonger, Mad Titan Gamora, and Party Thor to assist Black Widow in saving the multiverse.

[/spoliler]

So no more "what if this character had that characters super hero identity."

I could have sworn I read something about an episode where Steve Rogers became spider-man, but maybe that's for next season.

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/p699xf/spoilers_plots_for_every_episode_of_marvels_what/

Now that episode is more in line with the What If?'s I remember from yesteryear - often bittersweet. I'm guessing early reviewers may have been too emotionally tied to their favourite characters to buy into the concept that What If? presents. I thought it was pretty good. 

Featuring one of the most annoying techniques in film/tv where the about to be killed protagonist gives a difficult to decipher clue 

Spoiler

It’s all about hope rather than just shouting it’s Pym it’s fucking Pym

Also who knew Loki was such a badass at fighting an opponent that can take out all the avengers. He didn’t demonstrate it in his own show.

43 minutes ago, john said:

Featuring one of the most annoying techniques in film/tv where the about to be killed protagonist gives a difficult to decipher clue 

Hide contents

It’s all about hope rather than just shouting it’s Pym it’s fucking Pym

Also who knew Loki was such a badass at fighting an opponent that can take out all the avengers. He didn’t demonstrate it in his own show.

I know this is funny coming from me, but if you nitpick every little detail, I'm sure you could find a hundred and a half plot holes. Cinemasins makes a living doing this, though most of them are just brought up for comedy. I'm just going to say Loki caught Hank off guard and leave it at that, lol

I got nothing for the Natasha point you brought up, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I'd love to see a sequel to that one next season where they form a resistance and free earth. Though Odin should wake up from his nap soon anyway. 

Also uuh, it seems pretty much anyone can pop on the Iron Man suit and kick ass. Plus didn't Rhodey steal one the night before Tony dies? 

Another blow to AoS, in which Fury had a system in place to bring dead avengers back to life.

3 hours ago, sifth said:

I'm just going to say Loki caught Hank off guard and leave it at that, lol

Hell, the other extreme I'd say. Hank only killed them coz they were off guard.

Thor, Hulk and Iron Man would all spank him if they knew they were fighting.

The idea of an assassin Ant-Man is pretty great though.

Easily the best episode so far. It really works having a different timeline break off in a week where we already knew three films worth of stuff happened. Although, I guess the point of divergence here would’ve been Hope being hired by SHIELD? Really cool though seeing the beeper and the Pyms retroactively added to older MCU stuff. I wanted it to carry on, I wanna see Captains v Loki v Whoever Thanos got to invade Earth instead of Loki in Avengers.

I didn’t spoiler tag but I’m thinking ‘spoilers’ in the title applies to the most recent episode? 

Archived