What If? (Spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

Ok. I'm I'm Hope (or any of the others), the last thing I'd want is a giANT-Woman running around as a zombie. I think I'd shrink and get out of the suit or get rid of any Pym Particles to keep another super powered zombie off the playing field.

And I wonder how Michonne Okoye felt about doing another zombie story. :lol:

Who knew Strange’s cape is one of the mightiest avengers? The Ant Men gang continue to be pretty badass, they can take on anyone by going small or going big or going small then going big. The Hulk is pretty picky about what world ending threat he’s going to come back to deal with.

Okoye’s wakanda forever moment was cool and bodiless Scott’s descent into punning insanity was the darkest thing they’ve touched on in the whole show.

7 minutes ago, ithanos said:

A lot fun. Out of all the episodes so far, this is the one I want to see follow up episode to - right now! Did Thor still turn up in Wakanda seeking Thanos? How'd big purple get the time stone?

The real question is what will happen if zombie Thanos does the snap.  Will he just ask for lots of brains?

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

The real question is what will happen if zombie Thanos does the snap.  Will he just ask for lots of brains?

I still don’t understand how Thanos ended up a zombie if he already had that many stones.  I, conversely, don’t understand how Thanos, as a zombie could have assembled that much of the infinity gauntlet.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I still don’t understand how Thanos ended up a zombie if he already had that many stones.  I, conversely, don’t understand how Thanos, as a zombie could have assembled that much of the infinity gauntlet.

Doesn’t seem as outlandish as zombie Strange and Wong still performing difficult magic while zombies. I mean zombie Tony and Strange performed a collaborative ‘shoot through portal’ manoeuvre right off the bat. These are obviously zombies who can access any and all abilities of their host. 

I wasn’t sure what the implication was if the Watcher’s line “…even if it means the end of the Universe” or something. Is zombie Thanos gonna snap the whole universe away?

So far my ranking is 3, 5, 4, 2, 1.

7 hours ago, briantw said:

I couldn't find Ja Rule, to make sense of all this - but Eric Voss at New Rockstars (timestamp 10:40-14:00) has the theory this quantum virus could have been engineered specifically to reach Thanos when he is acquiring all six infinity stones. One architect possibly could be Kang, who may have a citadel in the quantum realm.  

I like Voss' explanation that this quantum virus still allows the infected to still use their tech (Falcon, Iron Man, Pym-tech) and their magics (Wong, Strange, Wanda, Ebony Maw), so Thanos still being able to wield the infinity gauntlet is plausible in this light.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Presumably, Thanos - once infected - could use the time stone to reverse to before the bite, or some such fix, but zombie Thanos doesn't want to. The zombie virus affects the mind, after all, and it seems to make them quite content as zombies!

Overall this is a better (though very different) attempt to do a 'dark' story than last week. Still not a favourite - it's squarely in the middle for me - but it had some nice moments. I'd have preferred more focus on the Vision/Scarlet Witch elements and on Spidey as the emotional heart of the story. I felt Kurt was a bit too obscure a character to have the amount of screen time he did (I assume because Dastmalchian is a bit higher profile than he was? But Kurt is clearly not the Ant-Man sidekick most viewers would've preferred to see). We could have lost him without hurting anything and had more screen time to play with. 

Chadwick Boseman waxing philosophical about death again was affecting, if not in the way originally intended. 

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Chadwick Boseman waxing philosophical about death again was affecting, if not in the way originally intended. 

You say that… but while the writers didn’t know; Boseman certainly did as he recorded it.

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Doesn’t seem as outlandish as zombie Strange and Wong still performing difficult magic while zombies. I mean zombie Tony and Strange performed a collaborative ‘shoot through portal’ manoeuvre right off the bat. These are obviously zombies who can access any and all abilities of their host. 

I wasn’t sure what the implication was if the Watcher’s line “…even if it means the end of the Universe” or something. Is zombie Thanos gonna snap the whole universe away?

So far my ranking is 3, 5, 4, 2, 1.

Yes.  The ability of zombies to use the abilities and tech of those turned seems really far fetched.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes.  The ability of zombies to use the abilities and tech of those turned seems really far fetched.

A quantum virus that reanimates the dead is brought from a subatomic world where time works in bizarre ways to a world where people can throw magic around, build suits that allow them to lift trucks and project plasma, and where a green monster just crashed to earth after losing a fight to a large purple alien aboard a spaceship full of Norse gods.

This is where your suspension of disbelief ends?

Not sure how I feel about this weeks episode. It was alright, but nearly everything I saw done in this episode, I saw done better somewhere else. As said above the Vision and Wanda stuff was the best part and I wish we got more of it. Spider Man really took me out of this episode, with his overly happy personality; it wasn’t bad, but I found it distracting. Scott’s head in a jar was basically right out of Futurama, part of me is shocked they didn’t make a joke about it. 

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Far fetched based on what you previously know of zombies, but ultimately it’s a quantum virus with whatever rules the writers want it to have.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

A quantum virus that reanimates the dead is brought from a subatomic world where time works in bizarre ways to a world where people can throw magic around, build suits that allow them to lift trucks and project plasma, and where a green monster just crashed to earth after losing a fight to a large purple alien aboard a spaceship full of Norse gods.

This is where your suspension of disbelief ends?

Yup.  It seems inconsistent.  

31 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Far fetched based on what you previously know of zombies, but ultimately it’s a quantum virus with whatever rules the writers want it to have.

But I hate that.  Its a variation on deus ex machina.  Diaboli ex machina?  I’d much rather see an internally consistent universe.  This seems random.

The Patheos of the episode was real and well done.  I just didn’t like the villian.  Then again I’ve never been really fond of zombie stories.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

But I hate that.  Its a variation on deus ex machina.  Diaboli ex machina?  I’d much rather see an internally consistent universe.  This seems random.

I don’t see how…? What’s internally inconsistent? It’s inconsistent with other iterations of zombies which it has no obligation to adhere to, not to itself. Remove the word ‘zombies’ from the equation and it’s a virus which manipulates the host into attacking others, but without removing their memory or knowledge. 

The zombies retaining instincts and powers doesn't bother me here. It's just a different flavor of zombie. With their tanks. And their guns. And their guns (or their drones). It's in your head, man. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yup.  It seems inconsistent.  

Inconsistent with what?

Various zombie films have zombies that can or can't run, can or can't climb, can or can't use tools and weapons. Even within the same series, these aren't consistent rules. In this world, zombies can use superpowers.

A Marvel zombie story in which zombies couldn't use superpowers would be pretty pointless, tbh. First, it wouldn't do anything much that other zombie stories haven't done. Second, the living heroes would defeat the threat fairly easily.

Archived