What If? (Spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I don’t see how…? What’s internally inconsistent? It’s inconsistent with other iterations of zombies which it has no obligation to adhere to, not to itself. Remove the word ‘zombies’ from the equation and it’s a virus which manipulates the host into attacking others, but without removing their memory or knowledge. 

If they have the higher level brain function for things like magic, operating Iron Man suits, assembling and control the infinity stones… how are they then “zombies”?  Why have enough cognition to do things that require abstract thought but not enough to remember who they are?  It’s contradictory.

33 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

The zombies retaining instincts and powers doesn't bother me here. It's just a different flavor of zombie. With their tanks. And their guns. And their guns (or their drones). It's in your head, man. 

Nothing compares to MCU.

23 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If they have the higher level brain function for things like magic, operating Iron Man suits, assembling and control the infinity stones… how are they then “zombies”?  Why have enough cognition to do things that require abstract thought but not enough to remember who they are?  It’s contradictory.

Who says they don’t remember who they are? Again, I don’t see any problem if you just leave all previous zombie knowledge at the door. It’s a virus that wastes away the flesh, gives an overwhelming desire to bite others to the host, and I guess unable to speak. That’s it. 

45 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They're zombies because they don't care about things more than, say, eating flesh. 
ETA: and given ZombieWanda's reaction to Vision dying, it's pretty clear they do remember things.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It's funny to imagine Zombie Tony and Sam (and presumably Rhodey though I don't think we saw him) going home and plugging in their equipment to charge it up.

I guess F.R.I.D.A.Y. is just cool with Tony being a Zombie too.

That may have been my favorite episode so far, but man it really didn't make a lot of sense.

11 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm with you on this episode.  My least favorite by far.  For the folks saying they don't have to adhere to other zombie tropes...but they are - the mindless shambling around in hordes, just sort of groaning and looking to eat flesh.  Really doesn't seem compatible with being able to use their powers and tech.  And then the juxtaposition of zombie horror story and corny jokes seemingly every other line, and Peter's incredulous optimism.  Yeah...didn't work for me.  Not to mention...boy these zombies decay really fast....

12 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Then why do they want to kill everyone else?

Because that's what the virus does - it gives them an overwhelming desire to bite the uninfected that swamps any other motivations or interests that they may have had previously. If there's nobody around to bite, they wander aimlessly because nothing else matters to them any more. Wanda's feelings for Vision were strong enough to distract her briefly, but only because he wasn't biteable.

Episode 1 was the weakest for me, but I loved Captain Carter. Coming in as an already badass agent, Peggy was clearly more proficient and badass as a super soldier than Steve was at the same stage. Steve did hit his straps by the time CA2 & CA3 came around, but Peggy just hit the ground running.

7 hours ago, felice said:

Because that's what the virus does - it gives them an overwhelming desire to bite the uninfected that swamps any other motivations or interests that they may have had previously. If there's nobody around to bite, they wander aimlessly because nothing else matters to them any more. Wanda's feelings for Vision were strong enough to distract her briefly, but only because he wasn't biteable.

I still think it is weirdly specific to make people rot and want to eat human flesh while leaving higher brain function intact and it works identically across multiple species.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I still think it is weirdly specific to make people rot and want to eat human flesh while leaving higher brain function intact and it works identically across multiple species.

Presumably the virus needs functioning brains to thrive, and the brains of intelligent life work sufficiently similarly for the virus regardless of species. Getting the host to bite other intelligent beings is how the virus spreads; it's not really about feeding, since the victims become new zombies pretty quickly. We don't see any animal zombies, do we?

31 minutes ago, felice said:

Presumably the virus needs functioning brains to thrive, and the brains of intelligent life work sufficiently similarly for the virus regardless of species. Getting the host to bite other intelligent beings is how the virus spreads; it's not really about feeding, since the victims become new zombies pretty quickly. We don't see any animal zombies, do we?

That presumes all intellgent life is identical.  Why would that be the case?

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That presumes all intellgent life is identical.  Why would that be the case?

This is the marvel universe. Every form of intelligent life can fuck every other form, and mostly has their genitals all in the same place. Don't overthink this. 

Let's be real, everything about zombies doesn't make sense. You really just need to roll with the fact that your story will not completely make sense, if you put zombies in it, because they themselves are a walking contradiction to the way death works as we know it. I mean if we're going to get real technical, the human body starts to decay after only a few days, once you're dead. Heck our dead bodies are paste after about a months time, so it would be very easy to simply wait out a zombie apocalypse in a safe shelter. Also don't even get me started when it comes to gasoline in a zombie film/tv show. In the real world gasoline only has a shelf life of 3 to 6 months; diesel might be able to last a year. Yet on so many shows/movies that take place years after zombies have taken over the world, you still have people driving cars and getting gas.

18 hours ago, Kaligator said:

This is the marvel universe. Every form of intelligent life can fuck every other form, and mostly has their genitals all in the same place. Don't overthink this. 

They went with the Star Trek route of "every alien is just a human who spent an hour in make-up."

55 minutes ago, briantw said:

They went with the Star Trek route of "every alien is just a human who spent an hour in make-up."

At least Star Trek had forehead ridges and pointy ears. It seems like 60% of the MCU aliens could pass for human, and then another 20% are humans with unusually colored skin. Then some of them looks like cats for some reason. 

Star Trek did eventually provide an in-universe excuse, and the MCU could easily do the same. Maybe the Celestials just really that shape for some reason. 

Unrelated, but it just occurred to me how odd it is that Ben Mendelson played both Talos and Fury's boss who Talos impersonates in Captain Marvel. 

Man this episode really made me feel down. The way Chadwick Boseman sounded seemed a bit off to me; almost like he was in pain the entire time, which is probably was. I wonder just how close it was recorded to his passing. It sort of reminded me of Kirby Morrow, who returned to work on the Inuyasha sequel, but sadly was only able to record one episode before his passing; he too sounded very different.

OK, 5 minutes in and I could tell this was heading for a two-parter and it was going to be bittersweet at the end of this first part. Sure was, but i couldn't stop watching. Killmonger's vengeance is as compelling to see realized as it was uncomfortable to watch. To my mind only Dr Doom or Kang could out do him.

Archived