What If? (Spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

6 hours ago, ithanos said:

OK, 5 minutes in and I could tell this was heading for a two-parter and it was going to be bittersweet at the end of this first part.

Is it a two-parter? I thought it just ended with the prospect of a Pepper-Shuri team up, and that’s that.

Pretty good episode, although it really just shuffles stuff we’ve already seen. It was basically ‘Black Panther in 2008’.

Part of me was hoping for a redemption arc for Killmonger and use the multiverse to bring him in as the new Black Panther.  Early on in the episode it said something about redeeming villains.  This was the first episode of the show that really felt incomplete to me.  So while I liked it, I didn't feel like it was as good as the other episodes which came to a real conclusion.

4 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Is it a two-parter? I thought it just ended with the prospect of a Pepper-Shuri team up, and that’s that.

I highly doubt next week will pick up where this ended. It's possibly "To Be Continued...." next season like the Avengers Assasinated and Zombie one were. Also we know from a trailer that:

This version of Killmonger will team up with Captain Carter, Star Lord T'Challa, Supreme Strange and a Thor at some point when the watcher inevitably intervenes.

Killmonger is such a great villain. Both from a 'really smart' perspective of having lots of great plans, and a 'really compelling' character in terms of understanding his motivations, his background, and why he's doing what he is doing. By far their best villain. 

55 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

Killmonger is such a great villain. Both from a 'really smart' perspective of having lots of great plans, and a 'really compelling' character in terms of understanding his motivations, his background, and why he's doing what he is doing. By far their best villain. 

I really hope they use the multiverse as a way to bring back the character into the main MCU.  He's one of the villains they really should have kept alive.

Killing off villains is fine when you are just making a trilogy, but when you're constructing a cinematic universe that spans dozens of movies and now TV series as well, you should really consider leaving a lot of them alive so you can utilize them later.

Just look at the second life Baron Zemo has gotten after being a very forgettable villain in Civil War.  He was the part of that film most people forgot, but now he's become a fan favorite because they kept him alive, brought him back in Falcon/WS, retconned the character a bit, and made him fun.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

I really hope they use the multiverse as a way to bring back the character into the main MCU.  He's one of the villains they really should have kept alive.

Agreed... but only to an extent.  He's really the only villain they killed off that got a great death scene.  Honestly, his request to be buried at sea was as great an exit as could be asked for.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Agreed... but only to an extent.  He's really the only villain they killed off that got a great death scene.  Honestly, his request to be buried at sea was as great an exit as could be asked for.

Fair.

Maybe the plan all along was to bring back another version of him, as I imagine Feige knew the multiverse stuff was coming by the time Black Panther was made.  I just think it was a waste of a great actor to cast him in a one-off performance like that, even if it was a great performance. 

I don't think anyone knew how big Black Panther would be, or how big Killmonger would be. At least not the mainstream folks. Most people were still pretty skeptical about a Black Panther movie anyway, mind you. 

But yeah, they should have changed the ending just from doing the test audiences. I can't imagine that they would have seen this and thought that it was not going to be a big thing. 

8 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Pretty good episode, although it really just shuffles stuff we’ve already seen. It was basically ‘Black Panther in 2008’.

Poor descriptor on my part. I meant in the context that some of these episodes seem destined to have follow up episodes (in the next season).

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

I highly doubt next week will pick up where this ended. It's possibly "To Be Continued...." next season like the Avengers Assasinated and Zombie one were. Also we know from a trailer that:

Reveal hidden contents

This version of Killmonger will team up with Captain Carter, Star Lord T'Challa, Supreme Strange and a Thor at some point when the watcher inevitably intervenes.

Spoiler

Curious about this. Presuming it is the Watcher pulling this team together, and they're successful in their goals, how's he going to handle any disbanding of the team. Strange Supreme, now multiverse aware, will be returned to his solitary verse? That would be an interesting discussion. And Killmonger knowing there are universes where he had failed? 

And it seems with every episode the Watcher is getting into more focus, so real-life (and maybe even normal sized) Watcher (Jeffrey Wright) could be on the cards?

3 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Darth Sideous has some competition in the playing all sides for personal benefit.

I think this is my favorite one thus far.

I disagree, it was just waaaay too easy for him to pull off. Reminds me of House of Cards, trying to make Frank Underwood a genius by portraying everyone else as a moron.

53 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I disagree, it was just waaaay too easy for him to pull off. Reminds me of House of Cards, trying to make Frank Underwood a genius by portraying everyone else as a moron.

The only part that bugged me was Tony deciding to face Killmonger alone, and not telling anyone what he was or having any kind of back up plan. I figured you can chalk that up to old Tony's arrogance, but it was weird!

Almost as weird as everyone calling him KILLMONGER and having that as his name tag. Black Panther handled that much better by saying it only once or twice. 

It's also weird that Tony knew what could be done with Vibranium to generate power, no? Considering his dad thought the best use of it was the shield and then they were out of it. 

For a 30 minute movie, it worked. Especially given what we know about each person he was able to play.

He was able to manipulate Tony, Klaw, Ross, and T'Chaka all through their personality flaws/vulnerabilities. Pride, avarice, desire for power, and grief/regret.

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The only part that bugged me was Tony deciding to face Killmonger alone, and not telling anyone what he was or having any kind of back up plan. I figured you can chalk that up to old Tony's arrogance, but it was weird!

This was stated in the actual show - Tony didn't want to prosecute him - he wanted his own personal justice. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Almost as weird as everyone calling him KILLMONGER and having that as his name tag. Black Panther handled that much better by saying it only once or twice. 

It's also weird that Tony knew what could be done with Vibranium to generate power, no? Considering his dad thought the best use of it was the shield and then they were out of it. 

I thought Tony didn't know. 

2 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

This was stated in the actual show - Tony didn't want to prosecute him - he wanted his own personal justice. 

Yeah I caught that, but you'd think he'd have Happy there at least, or some hired guns. I guess it was because we knew Tony wasn't going to stop him that made it seem so foolish to challenge him alone without ever telling anyone he was evil. 

I thought Tony didn't know. 

The way I remember it Stevens brought up the Vibranium as a power source idea and Tony was like  "Yeah, too bad we can't get our hands on any." 

1 hour ago, sifth said:

This weeks episode was fun. Nothing really to complain about, because the episode really didn’t take itself very seriously. It was just a good time all around.

It’s nice that they remembered that “What If” did the odd purely fun episode.  Was that Vision at the end or Ultron in Vision’s body?

Silly fun was a nice break from death and gloom. I like the mix.

Also, I think this had the most original actors doing the voices. I counted 14 (including Seth Green, who has more lines here than in the MCU films).

ETA: 14. Clancy Brown reprised Surtur. :)

Archived