The Winds of Winter

Ampelisca

Oftentimes we hear the phrase "words are wind" I usually take that to mean something like seeing is believing or even words are lies until proven otherwise.

My question is- Could the title of the next book be interpreted as "the lies of winter" or even that we are in for a false winter like the year of the false spring?

4 minutes ago, Ampelisca said:

Oftentimes we hear the phrase "words are wind" I usually take that to mean something like seeing is believing or even words are lies until proven otherwise.

My question is- Could the title of the next book be interpreted as "the lies of winter" or even that we are in for a false winter like the year of the false spring?

Huh, that's actually a pretty cool sounding theory. I think it is winter, but another way of intermitting the "lies of winter" are the lies told during winter. summer friends come and go, but winter friends are forever. we still have the game of thrones going on despite the dangers of winter and the summer friends will start to melt away. we can probably expect some serious betrayals anyways but still, I like it.

20 minutes ago, Ampelisca said:

I don't see that connection.  But, on the other hand, I do anticipate that some of the apocalyptic prophesies in this story might be lies or Satanic manipulations.  Compare GRRM's novel "The Armageddon Rag", where the apocalypse sort-of dissolves in a puff of smoke merely because the protagonist refuses to believe in it or act on it or be manipulated by it.   I won't mind seeing similar themes here, as long as it is handled in a less anticlimactic way.

I don't think so. Winter in the story has often been associated with honesty, realness and yea, starkness. Meanwhile summer has been associated with pleasantries and sometimes falseness and things that will not last:

"My old grandmother always used to say, Summer friends will melt away like summer snows, but winter friends are friends forever."

Also this winter is going to be real, GRRM will not dissapoint.

14 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

I don't see that connection.  But, on the other hand, I do anticipate that some of the apocalyptic prophesies in this story might be lies or Satanic manipulations.  Compare GRRM's novel "The Armageddon Rag", where the apocalypse sort-of dissolves in a puff of smoke merely because the protagonist refuses to believe in it or act on it or be manipulated by it.   I won't mind seeing similar themes here, as long as it is handled in a less anticlimactic way.

I love you

• 3 months later...
On 8/12/2021 at 3:10 AM, Ampelisca said:

I always interpret the phrase "words are wind" more like words are empty or meaningless, rather than lies. So it would be more like the emptiness of winter..

I like your theory though and it makes me think that "winds" might be replaced with "words", which would make the title: "the words of winter", which lines up quite well with the stark words, winter is coming. The possible 'words' of the SOIAF and also the repeated mentions of 'the North remembers'. Perhaps we might encounter a significant set of words in TWOW, that tie all those things together, or find out a deeper meaning to the stark words..

Archived