Oops I Drank it Again!

mcbigski

On 8/14/2021 at 11:33 AM, Prince of the North said:

Hey, the phrase "It's five o'clock somewhere!" makes no reference to AM or PM.

But that’s not the saying that started the idea. That’s “the sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world”, and the sun over the yardarm is about 11:00 am in the northern hemisphere, when the British navy said it was time for the first drink!

On 8/12/2021 at 8:00 PM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

What is the Breton national drink anyhow?

Cider. Also, Chouchen, also known as Hydromel, which is a type of mead (i.e. made from honey, and really isn't as good as it sounds). Also, Pommeau, which is a mix of strong "apple brandy" (Lambig in Brittany, Calvados in Normandy) and apple juice, and which I happen to have had a couple of glasses of tonight.
Of course, it's perfectly possible to drink Lambig or Calvados on its own, if you're into strong stuff and/or want to get wasted.

People from Brittany are such hardcore drinkers that they'll tend to binge drink withstrong stuff like vodka. Which probably explains why they're making whisky now (Breton whisky is decent, though I'll still favor Scottish, Japanese, or Irish anyday).

Btw I'm saying "they" because I've grown old. In my partying days in Rennes, we'd start with 4-5 pints of strong local beer, before moving to the serious stuff, i.e. shots of vodka and/or whisky for the rest of the night.

7 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Cider. Also, Chouchen, also known as Hydromel, which is a type of mead (i.e. made from honey, and really isn't as good as it sounds). Also, Pommeau, which is a mix of strong "apple brandy" (Lambig in Brittany, Calvados in Normandy) and apple juice, and which I happen to have had a couple of glasses of tonight.
Of course, it's perfectly possible to drink Lambig or Calvados on its own, if you're into strong stuff and/or want to get wasted.

People from Brittany are such hardcore drinkers that they'll tend to binge drink withstrong stuff like vodka. Which probably explains why they're making whisky now (Breton whisky is decent, though I'll still favor Scottish, Japanese, or Irish anyday).

Btw I'm saying "they" because I've grown old. In my partying days in Rennes, we'd start with 4-5 pints of strong local beer, before moving to the serious stuff, i.e. shots of vodka and/or whisky for the rest of the night.

I feel like if I ever fall off the wagon that would be a good way to go.  I did a study abroad in France many, many moons ago.   Our sponsoring professor was Breton.  Our group had A LOT of fun. This explains it.  

12 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

But which goes with what weed?!?

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I did a study abroad in France many, many moons ago.   Our sponsoring professor was Breton.  Our group had A LOT of fun. This explains it.  

It probably does. Bretons pride themselves on being serious drinkers, and students will often challenge people from other regions (or countries) to drinking games.
My personal favorite for many years was the "three man." Good times. A buddy of mine got an entire foreign team drunk in a wargaming tournament that way and became kind of an international legend among super-geeks.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

But which goes with what weed?!?

I wish I knew, but in all honesty mixing booze and weed fucked me up so badly that I certainly wasn't able to tell what it was I was smoking.
Not that my palate is great to begin with. I have genuine respect for people who manage to pair drink with food or smoke, because I can't. 

16 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I have genuine respect for people who manage to pair drink with food or smoke, because I can't. 

Nah you shouldn't have respect for that shit, I was just fucking around.  I guess with food it's fine.

Edited by DMC

14 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I have genuine respect for people who manage to pair drink with food or smoke, because I can't. 

As I've grown older, I am no longer capable of drinking on an empty stomach. I need to have food with it, and not just any food. In Balkans, we even have foods that are specifically intended to accompany certain types of drinks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meze#Alcoholic_accompaniment

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Nah you shouldn't have respect for that shit, I was just fucking around.

Eh, I dunno, some people seem able to pull it off.

9 hours ago, Gorn said:

In Balkans, we even have foods that are specifically intended to accompany certain types of drinks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meze#Alcoholic_accompaniment

Now that, that, is what I call civilisation.

9 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Eh, I dunno, some people seem able to pull it off.

Oh yes, it's definitely a thing certain people can pull off.  Just saying I don't think it should be respected -- and certainly not recommended!

On 8/17/2021 at 9:25 PM, Rippounet said:

Cider. Also, Chouchen, also known as Hydromel, which is a type of mead (i.e. made from honey, and really isn't as good as it sounds).

Yeah that's been my experience with mead.  It's Ok, but usually too sweet for my taste. and sometimes too floral.

Also, we definitely played a lot of Three Man in the wilds of Storrs CT back in my college days (1993 plus or minus).  Not sure who appropriated who there, but running with a better idea is almost always a win/win.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:17 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Me, either. Sweet wines are disgusting to me. YMMV; apparently, Rombauer Chardonnay is a top seller. To each her own hangover, I suppose :p

Honestly, I don’t like sweet anything. 

Birthdays are always a trial. People buy a cake to be nice, and I have to pretend to like it.

Dang traditions. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For the record, this is not the Dating thread also referencing the recently freed Britney Spears.  PBUH ;).

Met up with a few of the people from my networking group for happy hour.  Stopped at my local after.  New bartender, a 40+ sox fan named Tessie, so that was bit of a wiki rabbit hole.

(Ir)regardless I am home and well and truly drunk.  Gin martini with orange peels and orange bitters FTW!  Standard house drink.  

• 3 months later...

So, as part of my get back to my 18 months ago waist, I walked 30 holes of golf today.  3 beers at the club starting on hole 28, and a bottle of Joel Gott Cab at home.  Light work after 3 nights in Nashville.

• 3 months later...

Ah gin.  Special Lady Friend brought two oranges over on Wednesday so we could have martinis.  Though we ended up at the neighborhood joint first and I was carless.  (Happily my new car was delivered as promised on Thursday, but only tangentially related to this.)  So I was intoxicated enough that my general big soul energy got her to match martinis with me once we got home and we were working on catching up with The Boys.  

Anyway, the sad looking not quite ripe orange skin from Wednesday looked just maybe just slightly not fully ripe tonight, but I was a teen ager when Winger was a thing and that orange was old enough for me.