Edric Storm’s Role

nyser1

7 minutes ago, nyser1 said:

How would you see that coming to fruition?

I haven't actually thought about it in depth. It just seemed to me that that would be his purpose as a recognized son of Robert. Unlike the other bastards whose parentage hasn't been officially recognized, and with Shireen's likely fate, he is the last known Baratheon, if I'm not mistaken. That is, if everything stays the same and the Baratheons keep that seat by the end. I don't think he'll have another role in the intervening story; maybe he'll be chosen to be lord by whoever rules Westeros or the stormlands at the end.

We know he was brought east. maybe he gets captured by Dany's supporters and is convinced to keep him. he's a kid so he's probably innocent of his fathers crime in Dany's eyes (I hope). She is a queen and she can legitimize him if she wishes. he's high born enough to inherit then, and gives her a stromlands claimant. maybe something along those lines.

I've been imagining a scene where Edric Storm, Gendry, Mya Stone, and perhaps a few others are all brought to King's Landing and paraded before the court, as part of a trial to determine the legitimacy (or lack thereof) of Cersei's children.

11 minutes ago, Aebram said:

I've been imagining a scene where Edric Storm, Gendry, Mya Stone, and perhaps a few others are all brought to King's Landing and paraded before the court, as part of a trial to determine the legitimacy (or lack thereof) of Cersei's children.

Cersei's children are going to be murdered.  Their legitimacy (or lack thereof) will have no relevance.

I'm not sure he will have any more significance to the story. He has already been a test of Stannis' character, which was passed with the help of Davos. Shireen is likely to be the next test. I don't really see that Edric Storm needs to have any more impact to justify his inclusion.   

It is a coming of age story. Many of the main characters are within a few years in age of one another. Edric, Tyrion, Gilly, Marwyn, Barristan, Arch, Gerris, and Missandei are in Essos to bring them into Dany's storyline. I'm seriously wishing for Gilly and her babe to meet Dany.  

Their alliance with Dany will bring them to the Light. It will also make them leave old allegiances behind. They make up the leaders of the future. Dany will build a large empire. She will make Aegon's conquest look small. She will have vassals.  Edric will be one of these lordlings.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:41 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

Many of the main characters are within a few years in age of one another. Edric, Tyrion, Gilly, Marwyn, Barristan, Arch, Gerris, and Missandei are in Essos to bring them into Dany's storyline.

Most of them, Yes, but Gilly? 

The last we saw of her, she was staying on the Cinnamon Wind while Sam was getting settled at the Citadel.  Marwyn said he would take that ship to go to Slaver's Bay.  But I doubt that he, or the captain and crew of the ship, would want to take a young mother and her baby on a long voyage to a dangerous place.

11 hours ago, Aebram said:

Most of them, Yes, but Gilly? 

The last we saw of her, she was staying on the Cinnamon Wind while Sam was getting settled at the Citadel.  Marwyn said he would take that ship to go to Slaver's Bay.  But I doubt that he, or the captain and crew of the ship, would want to take a young mother and her baby on a long voyage to a dangerous place.

Marwyn might want kingsblood baby, and until kingsblood baby is ready for the sacrificial pyre or sacrificial knife, Marwyn might need kingsblood baby's nurse.

I have no idea why everyone assumes that Marwyn is on the side of the angels.  I admit there is no proof either way, but if anything, the indications are to the contrary.  He is vaguely associated with Qyburn and Mirri, and was last seen palling around with a Sand Snake and a Faceless Assassin.

52 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I think his role in the story was to serve as a morality test for Davos, Melisandre and Stannis.

I don't think Salador Saan is going to pass his own morality test.  Do you?  He'll hand the boy over for cash to whoever pays cash.   And Loras Tyrell has sorcerers in his family on his mother's side.  And something is going on at Dragonstone that is being withheld from us readers.  

4 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

I don't think Salador Saan is going to pass his own morality test.  Do you?  He'll hand the boy over for cash to whoever pays cash.   And Loras Tyrell has sorcerers in his family on his mother's side.  And something is going on at Dragonstone that is being withheld from us readers.  

According to the Appendix in Dance, he's hiding in Lys. So, yeah. I do. 

As interesting as the Loras/Dragonstone mystery is, I don't see how it's pertinent to this subject.

I have no idea why everyone assumes that Marwyn is on the side of the angels.  I admit there is no proof either way, but if anything, the indications are to the contrary.  He is vaguely associated with Qyburn and Mirri, and was last seen palling around with a Sand Snake and a Faceless Assassin.

It's true that there's no proof either way, and I think you're judging Marwyn too harshly. His associations with those four characters are so vague, they don't tell us anything about his character. We know he also keeps company with "whores and hedge wizards," people from all walks of life, of many races, speaking their languages and honoring their religions. We know that he's traveled the world in search of knowledge, and written at least one book about what he learned.  To me, this just doesn't seem like the profile of a bad guy.

(Sorry for going off-topic.  Should we start a separate thread for this?)

8 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I think his role in the story was to serve as a morality test for Davos, Melisandre and Stannis.

If this were the case, his role is done.  All that needs to happen is for the Magister and his sellswords to find him and turn him over to the Sand Snakes.  

His Baratheon side of the family owe their noble status to the Targaryens.  He should pledge his life and swear his loyalty to Daenerys.  Like Orys the bastard during the conquest, Edric may prove his worth to a Targaryen monarch, Daenerys Targaryen.  She may give him legitimate status in return.  

On 8/16/2021 at 9:41 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

It is a coming of age story. Many of the main characters are within a few years in age of one another. Edric, Tyrion, Gilly, Marwyn, Barristan, Arch, Gerris, and Missandei are in Essos to bring them into Dany's storyline. I'm seriously wishing for Gilly and her babe to meet Dany.  

Their alliance with Dany will bring them to the Light. It will also make them leave old allegiances behind. They make up the leaders of the future. Dany will build a large empire. She will make Aegon's conquest look small. She will have vassals.  Edric will be one of these lordlings.

Edric Storm has been shrink-wrapped and placed on a shelf off-stage.  He'll be taken off the shelf when it is appropriate to do so.  Most likely, he will be the last known and acknowledged descendant of Steffon Baratheon, in which case he will probably become Lord of Storms End.  Having grown up in Renly's household, he has the necessary training and experience, and is a known quantity to the lords of the region.

13 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

According to the Appendix in Dance, he's hiding in Lys. So, yeah. I do. 

Sallador is a Lysene Pirate.  Lys is his base.  If Edric was hiding in Lys, then Edric was likely still in Sallador's custody and power.  Also, the Appendix reflects the status at the beginning of the book.  We don't know where he is now.  Sallador may already have sold him out for cash. 

13 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

As interesting as the Loras/Dragonstone mystery is, I don't see how it's pertinent to this subject.

Dragonstone is where the Stone Dragons are -- you know those mysterious statues of unknown origin that are too lifelike to be real statutes.  It is the obvious place to go if a blood sorcerer wants to use kings blood to wake stone dragons.

Loras has a silver-haired mother, which potentially could mean he has enough Targaryen/Valyrian blood to ride a dragon.

Loras has sorcerers on his mother's side of the family, which means he could potentially have access to sorcerous knowledge.

Archived