Skin and Hair Care

Mr. Chatywin et al.

When I recently tried growing my hair out it was a little longer than what Fez described before I gave up and went back to keeping it short. The one thing I could never figure out is even with two different types of product in it why it looked like I just stood in front of an industrial fan anytime after even a light breeze would come, and yet it seemed like everyone else's hair was barely moving. I get that I have fine hair, but come on!!! 

16 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I have very coarse, curly, aggressive hair, so I totally get your struggle. 

To solve issue #1, you'll need to do 2 things to keep it under control -- first, make sure you're using a conditioner separate from your shampoo. It doesn't need to be fancy or expensive, but opt for something for "dry" hair.

Second thing is to use a light leave-in treatment. I really like this one: https://www.sheamoisture.com/100-virgin-coconut-oil-leave-in-treatment/764302204213.html I spray a bit (maybe 6-7 pumps) into my palm, then distribute in my hair, mostly from mid-shaft to the ends. It keeps everything mellow without it looking like I have any product in it at all. 

To solve issue #2, you will want to talk to your stylist. Tell them that you want to keep your hair slicked back. They will make sure to cut your hair in a way that it'll be less likely to fall to the sides (they'll take out some of the weight while leaving the length). They can also give you pretty clear instructions on how to get the look you want and which products and techniques to use to achieve it. 

If you're really committed, you can always try egg whites or some super-intense hairspray, but I'm guessing you don't actually want an impervious helmet on your head? 

ETA: Larry has a good tip with the hat + gel. You may have a hair dryer/diffuser purchase in your future.

Yeah, a couple months ago I finally upgraded from the 3-in-1 body wash I've used for years to getting separate shampoos, conditioners, and a better body wash. Although I opted for the "repair" kind, although that was mostly a price thing.

I have talked to my stylist at both appointments, and he tried his best. The thing he said at the second appointment was that I have extremely strong, thick hair, and it wants to face forward. But if it grows out a bit more the weight will help keep it back. Maybe it just needs to grow out even more than it already is; but it is at the point now where the hair at the front can reach past the crown of my head. Which seems like it should be enough, but I guess not.

I definitely don't want a helmet on my head. In fact, ideally I wouldn't put anything in my hair and it'd just flow backwards, but I suspect that's not possible unless I grew it so much that I had a ponytail and could simply tie it back. And that's not quite the look I'm going for.

What is a leave-in treatment?

55 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yeah, a couple months ago I finally upgraded from the 3-in-1 body wash I've used for years to getting separate shampoos, conditioners, and a better body wash. Although I opted for the "repair" kind, although that was mostly a price thing.

I have talked to my stylist at both appointments, and he tried his best. The thing he said at the second appointment was that I have extremely strong, thick hair, and it wants to face forward. But if it grows out a bit more the weight will help keep it back. Maybe it just needs to grow out even more than it already is; but it is at the point now where the hair at the front can reach past the crown of my head. Which seems like it should be enough, but I guess not.

I definitely don't want a helmet on my head. In fact, ideally I wouldn't put anything in my hair and it'd just flow backwards, but I suspect that's not possible unless I grew it so much that I had a ponytail and could simply tie it back. And that's not quite the look I'm going for.

There are some conditioners that you put on your hair and do not wash out (you leave them in).  I use this for my very thick, somewhat curly hair (which I routinely heat-damage).  

43 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

There are some conditioners that you put on your hair and do not wash out (you leave them in).  I use this for my very thick, somewhat curly hair (which I routinely heat-damage).  

Interesting. Does it get absorbed or stay on the hair? I run my fingers through my hair a lot these days, and I'd hate if it ended up getting on my fingers and then onto everything.

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

Interesting. Does it get absorbed or stay on the hair? I run my fingers through my hair a lot these days, and I'd hate if it ended up getting on my fingers and then onto everything.

So my hair is extremely porous (and I have the hair coloring debacles to prove it) and also dry (I only wash my hair once every 4-5 days at the most).  (I also use a very light serum from bumble and bumble on my hair to control the frizz and manage the heat).  I have never had that kind of issue.  It's sort of like any product - you have to use the right amount.  If you put in more than the recommended amount that might be an issue?  I'd talk to your stylist regarding what they recommend for your hair type.

5 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Any advice for someone experiencing hair thinning?

Forget about it.

Shave it. Short, or completely to the skin. Grow a beard. You might be surprised by how good you look.

The alternative is spending the foreseeable future vainly trying to conceal your widows peak and/or bald patch using a series of increasingly complicated combing techniques. However, you won't be fooling anyone, and will likely just end up looking a bit of a tit.

Or you could get a transplant. The technology has come on quite a bit since Wayne Rooney went to Istanbul and transferred a whole bunch of hair from his arse-crack to his spam.

5 hours ago, Fez said:

I touch my hair a lot and never had problems with the one I linked. But Zabz is correct that it'll probably depend on the product and your hair. 

On 10/4/2021 at 10:30 AM, Fez said:

2. The gel I am using (a "firm hold") only seems to last a few hours. I'm trying to keep my hair slicked back, but it doesn't take long to fall to the sides and give me an extremely '90s middle part.

If it makes you any feel better, those middle parts are extremely in now ;) 

On 10/5/2021 at 11:26 AM, Fez said:

I use a leave-in conditioner by Aveda that I really like.  I'll look it up and add it here.

I have yours and X-Ray's type of hair...it was perfect in the 80s.  It's coarse, curly, and will reach the heavens if I so choose.  

Unfortunately, it's a wee bit dated, and I live in one of the most humid locales on the planet. So it's frizzy.  And out of control.  I struggle with my hair constantly.  I'm starting to embrace it, though, and in spite of filling up the square on video calls, I'm wearing it large and enjoying it more than I used to.  Large hair might not be an option for you, though.  My brother has the same exact hair and keeps his cropped fairly close to his scalp.  It looks very polished and professional.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

All other dismissive posters aside, some people are not meant to shave their heads. This would include me, if I decided to go Britney circa 2006 or Sinead O’Connor.

I can absolutely recommend considering Rogaine. Though don’t do Propecia, that’s ED in a pill, right there. Rogaine is a topical solution and will only give you thicker hair while it is effective (ie, while you are using it.)

You might also consider “extensions” to add volume. Talk to your hairdresser.

I can't shave with a razor, I end up getting crazy folliculitis and ingrown hairs.  Saw a dermatologist about it a few years ago and they gave me a couple products to try to minimize the irritation, but to no avail. 

I use an electric beard trimmer on my face but anything setting shorter than a 5 o'clock shadow is going to cause problems for me.  I imagine if I shaved my head I'd have the same issues.  

1 minute ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I have embarked on a journey with retinol. I am being extremely cautious with it, given my history of reacting to stuff that doesn't bother others. But we'll see if it addresses what I want it to address!

Give it some time even if it does irritate- for almost everyone there is an adjustment period with it for your skin. When I first started using it my skin was MAD but it has chilled out and is very nice now

So I got a leave-in conditioner, and it, by itself, is doing a better job keeping my hair the way I want it then the gel I was using. So thanks all for that advice!

I also ordered a hair wax and I'll see if that's what I need to finish the job. Even after doing some reading, I'm still kinda confused about the differences between gel vs wax vs glue vs. pomade vs clay vs paste (some of these may even be synonyms of each other). I might end up slowly cycling through them all until I strike gold.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:59 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

I have embarked on a journey with retinol. I am being extremely cautious with it, given my history of reacting to stuff that doesn't bother others. But we'll see if it addresses what I want it to address!

There are so many different formulations of it now too. So you should be able to begin gently. Although I do suspect that the more gentle products might not show any dramatic results. 

I have a retinol eye cream I use at night and I also use Sunday Riley's Luna, a night oil with retinol, which looks blue in the bottle but goes a dark green when you rub it in and I really enjoy feeling like Elphaba when I apply it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have good advice on combs for men?

By using a combo of leave-in conditioner and hair wax I can mostly get my hair the way I want it finally. The problem is, if I don't massage it deep enough into all the underlayers of my hair/I don't press down on my hair long enough when putting it in then it starts poofing out anyways as it dries. If I then comb it out, it stays down for good.

The problem is, the only comb I have is one of those super cheap black combs that is a short plastic piece and has the tines very close together. And when I use it, it does push my hair down like I want, but it bunches my hairs together into tight rows and I look like a Sopranos extra. Which isn't what I want at all. I want a more natural look to my hair being swept back. Should I be looking for a comb with the tines spaced out more or some other type of comb entirely?

I know very little about hair.