Skin and Hair Care

Mr. Chatywin et al.

On 10/20/2021 at 12:46 PM, Fez said:

Does anyone have good advice on combs for men?

By using a combo of leave-in conditioner and hair wax I can mostly get my hair the way I want it finally. The problem is, if I don't massage it deep enough into all the underlayers of my hair/I don't press down on my hair long enough when putting it in then it starts poofing out anyways as it dries. If I then comb it out, it stays down for good.

The problem is, the only comb I have is one of those super cheap black combs that is a short plastic piece and has the tines very close together. And when I use it, it does push my hair down like I want, but it bunches my hairs together into tight rows and I look like a Sopranos extra. Which isn't what I want at all. I want a more natural look to my hair being swept back. Should I be looking for a comb with the tines spaced out more or some other type of comb entirely?

I know very little about hair.

Wider comb definitely helped me, as well as experimenting with different ways to physically hold the hair in place while it dried.  Bandanas, hats, an t-shirt wrapped around the ol' noggin.  The bandana was nice because it's thin enough that your hair still dries pretty quickly and the tension can be dialed in so you don't get the hat helmet look.

Edited by 1066 Larry

Hmm... my hair has never been short enough for a comb to get through, unless it was an extremely wide comb. But is there some unwritten law that it's unmanly to use a hairbrush? I've never had a problem with hair being bunched together in rows by a hairbrush. Maybe you could try one? It's also a nice massage for the scalp if you get a high-quality hairbrush (not one of the unflexible full-plastic ones).

eta: Darn, I left in the hairdye for too long and now it's too dark. But I hope it will wash out somewhat as it's herbal hairdye (henna/indigo etc).

Edited by Prue
adding

Hairbrushes + wavy/curly hair = bad. My hair is wavy and it gets combed with a wide-tooth comb when wet, right after I apply hair serum. Then it doesn't get combed again until the next time it is washed. 

Brushing/combing it when dry makes it go frizzy and look terrible.

Literally just search for 'wide tooth comb' and then buy one of those.

6 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

You guys….

I have to pimp The Perfect Peel, here. I’m on my third year of “four peels, four weeks apart” (and the first peel of that third series) and seriously, my skin looks better than it did when I was 20.

And I’m 46.

Sure, there have been a lot of lasers and facials, too. But, The Perfect Peel has really done it. All you have to do is be prepared to look like a lizard for a week.

Chats got me on peels and while my derm does a different brand I can attest that my skin is also way better than my twenties and it is the only thing that fixed my hyperpigmentation and pore congestion.

• 1 month later...

coming back to report the results of finally getting microblading.

• I HAVE EYEBROWS.  This is game changing, as mine had totally fallen out, and were never going to really come all the way back without constant cortisone injections, and even then, given the scarring, there were going to be major gaps.
  • I'm still in the healing phase.  They are a little dark right now, and I am a little itchy, but this too shall pass.
  • I'm really glad that someone here gave me such a great recommendation - it was really hard to find a place that I trusted.  But they did a fantastic job.  So thank you!  (You know who you are!)

For my routine, I really only use three products! I am very simplistic when it comes to skincare, and to be completely honest I've always been a bit lazy. So it took me a while to find products that are easy for me to use and to remember to use. In the morning I use neutrogena naturals cleanser, toner, and then moisturizer for sensitive skin. Sometimes i use aeno acne patches for small pimples. Actually, they always work quickly and help me remove pimples before they will act on whole power

Edited by Poppytint

a couple of months late to the conversation but my current routine for wavy/curly hair: shampoo, condition (power from Lush with sweet potato and maple syrup), towel dry, and then either: leave in conditioner (f something generic from L’oréal) and Curl Power from Lush or curl activator from Cantu, then brush with a wooden brush (I don’t like combs so disagree with Isis there ;) ), crunch up with my fingers and leave to dry. Agree on no brushing until the next wash.

Both Lush and Cantu are designed for Afro hair but work wonders on my (white person, thin) hair provided I don’t use too much.

Edited by Filippa Eilhart

On 10/26/2021 at 5:45 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

You guys….

I have to pimp The Perfect Peel, here. I’m on my third year of “four peels, four weeks apart” (and the first peel of that third series) and seriously, my skin looks better than it did when I was 20.

And I’m 46.

Sure, there have been a lot of lasers and facials, too. But, The Perfect Peel has really done it. All you have to do is be prepared to look like a lizard for a week.

Is that a brand name or does it get done in a salon?

I got ID'd buying alcohol in a supermarket on NYE (challenge 25 I guess - in the UK anyone who does NOT look over 25 can be asked for ID) so I was pleased about that. Masks make it harder to guess a person's age but I like to think my skincare routine has knocked a few years off my forehead and eyes lol. 

That Beauty Pie Wonderfilter is magical stuff too.

I have scarring on my body that I'd like to conceal or reduce the visibility of as much as possible. I've got scars in various place but most problematic for me is my arms. Anyone got any recommendations for products that might be good for this? I really don't know where to start, looking at skin care or body make up so please treat me as the beginner I am here

19 minutes ago, Isis said:

I got ID'd buying alcohol in a supermarket on NYE (challenge 25 I guess - in the UK anyone who does NOT look over 25 can be asked for ID) so I was pleased about that. Masks make it harder to guess a person's age but I like to think my skincare routine has knocked a few years off my forehead and eyes lol. 

That Beauty Pie Wonderfilter is magical stuff too.

Wife got id'd buying chocolates with liquer in them. 

I haven't been id'd since I was 14, it's not even like I was doing shift work then as an excuse.  

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I have scarring on my body that I'd like to conceal or reduce the visibility of as much as possible. I've got scars in various place but most problematic for me is my arms. Anyone got any recommendations for products that might be good for this? I really don't know where to start, looking at skin care or body make up so please treat me as the beginner I am here

What I’ve told clients who want to cover scars with tattoos is to start moisturizing as deeply as you can (emu oil smells like belly button but it penetrates deeply) and massaging really hard like pinching and rolling to soften the tissue. You could also try a micro needling roller. Scar tissue is usually denser than regular tissue and this can help soften the texture. As for the hyperpigmentation that’s just time and hope usually but scars tend to stop changing after 3-5 years

18 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Wife got id'd buying chocolates with liquer in them. 

I haven't been id'd since I was 14, it's not even like I was doing shift work then as an excuse.  

Your wife is about 10 years younger than me though. Report back in 2032!

I’m having some terrible skin weeks. Which is only expected with the roller coaster of functioning hormones, an abundance of holiday desserts and stress. But boy, it’s awful.

I should also look into getting a humidifier or some similar construction because the air quality in my flat (and city) is vile. I spend three days in the countryside and I look 5 years younger. All my fine lines smooth out, my pores clear up and it’s only my hands that want to fall off from dryness. I come back to the city and in one day I look like  I’m in my late thirties. So maybe the country makes me 10 years younger? Church-goer old ladies certainly mistake me for my sister so it’s at least 8. 

Does anybody have any experience with this? Getting a humidifier and seeing an improvement in skin texture and hydration level? Or I maybe should just move to the country. 

Edited by RhaenysBee