Skin and Hair Care

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Anyone ever tried henna on their hair?

I tried twice - once leaving it for about 90 minutes, once for four hours - with no visible effect either time. I'm somewhat ginger anyway, but I wanted to go a few shades redder for a not-too-dramatic change. But I'm failing. (Curl definition for days though.)

4 hours ago, Datepalm said:

I tried twice - once leaving it for about 90 minutes, once for four hours - with no visible effect either time. I'm somewhat ginger anyway, but I wanted to go a few shades redder for a not-too-dramatic change. But I'm failing. (Curl definition for days though.)

I have been using henna for years with (I think!) good results. I am covering quite a lot of grey these days as well, and it works on that too. The key is having a good henna and using the right process for dye release.

The henna powder needs to be fresh or frozen while fresh. Dye release is okay-ish with just water (cold, not warm) left for 12-24 hours depending on climate. Something acidic in the liquid is better, I usually use some apple cider vinegar. Lemon works too but can be harsher on the hair and scalp. With good dye release, having it on for 2-3 hours is usually about right.

This site is a very good resource for everything to do with henna and how to dye your hair with it: http://www.hennaforhair.com/

On 1/22/2022 at 12:52 AM, Linda said:

I have been using henna for years with (I think!) good results. I am covering quite a lot of grey these days as well, and it works on that too. The key is having a good henna and using the right process for dye release.

The henna powder needs to be fresh or frozen while fresh. Dye release is okay-ish with just water (cold, not warm) left for 12-24 hours depending on climate. Something acidic in the liquid is better, I usually use some apple cider vinegar. Lemon works too but can be harsher on the hair and scalp. With good dye release, having it on for 2-3 hours is usually about right.

This site is a very good resource for everything to do with henna and how to dye your hair with it: http://www.hennaforhair.com/

ooh, thanks! I think I skipped the letting-it-stand stage too much. Will try again.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:36 PM, Datepalm said:

So I've tried this stuff called Surya Brasil Henna cream in the Silver Fox color, because I'm a ginger with a lot of grey coming in, and thought it would make me look like the silver fox IG model who was shilling it.  Epic fail.  I couldn't tell it had done anything on my hair.  It did smell nice, though.  I felt very cheated because you're supposed to leave it on for at least an hour and that's an hour of my life I won't get back.  

Never tried henna -- if I'm going to change my hair color, it's gonna be, like, green or some shit -- but my friends who use it, love it. 

@Elder Sister I cannot wait for us to have very big silver hair (although right now I actually have very short hair, so I will need a couple of years to catch up). 

To follow up on something I posted about back in...October? I started with a very low-key retinoid and my skin handled it OK. But I wasn't sure it was handling my issue as much as I wanted it to, so I just switched to a slightly more aggressive retinoid. It's been about 2 weeks of using it once every 2 or 3 days, and yeah. I am going to be really careful with this stuff because I can tell my skin is starting to dry out a little.  

6 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

@Elder Sister I cannot wait for us to have very big silver hair (although right now I actually have very short hair, so I will need a couple of years to catch up). 

My grey hair is even more insane/uncontrollable than the rest of my hairs.  I will eventually look like Ursula from Little Mermaid if it keeps it up, but I kind of dig her, so it's fine.  :D

I do retinol from Kiehl's and I like the effect, but I have to be careful with it.  I get a similar result using an AHA/BHA cleanser by One Love called Botanical A - I love love love it.  And I love this line...they make good stuff.

15 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Never tried henna -- if I'm going to change my hair color, it's gonna be, like, green or some shit -- but my friends who use it, love it. 

To follow up on something I posted about back in...October? I started with a very low-key retinoid and my skin handled it OK. But I wasn't sure it was handling my issue as much as I wanted it to, so I just switched to a slightly more aggressive retinoid. It's been about 2 weeks of using it once every 2 or 3 days, and yeah. I am going to be really careful with this stuff because I can tell my skin is starting to dry out a little.  

I had that both when I started Retin A .05% and when I upgraded to 1%. It took a couple months for my skin to adjust but after that it was good

On 1/25/2022 at 10:52 PM, Elder Sister said:

So I've tried this stuff called Surya Brasil Henna cream in the Silver Fox color, because I'm a ginger with a lot of grey coming in, and thought it would make me look like the silver fox IG model who was shilling it.  

The main thing to know about henna is that real henna gives some shade of orange/red and nothing else. You can mix with some other plant powders to push it towards shades of brown, even getting it to a quite dark brown with indigo, but the henna itself only contains reddish colour. 

On 1/27/2022 at 11:35 AM, Linda said:

The main thing to know about henna is that real henna gives some shade of orange/red and nothing else. You can mix with some other plant powders to push it towards shades of brown, even getting it to a quite dark brown with indigo, but the henna itself only contains reddish colour. 

Third time's the  charm! I think.

• 1 month later...

So I've continued to grow out my hair, because it's something to do. And it's getting to the point where leave-in conditioner doesn't seem to be helping much anymore in keeping my hair from getting wavy/frizzy. The problem is that's shoulder-length now, at least in the back, so I can't just keep the hair patted down on my scalp with the conditioner.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can have my hair look more like this:

https://www.hairdohairstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/13-Long-hairstyles-for-Men-with-Straight-Hair.jpg

and less like this

https://coolmenshair.com/wp-content/uploads/3-10.jpg

?

Ignoring the fact that Pitt probably sees a stylist at least weekly.

4 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

The only thing I can think of is heat styling - Ie, blow dry with a round brush (this takes practice or you can look really floofy) or alternately a flat iron.

My son uses a flat iron on his shoulder-length hair to get it to behave the way he wants. Flat irons don’t have to be used only to get hair stick-straight. A lower heat setting or use only on troublesome parts will do the job if you still want some waviness.

So my hair is basically the texture in the second picture and is very thick.  I am a big fan of the flat iron. You do need to invest in a good one and in good heat shielding products for your hair.  I use a narrow flat iron because I’m not trying to get stick straight.  I do use a lot of product - bumble has several good ones, but I would ask your hair dresser.  Another trick of mine in the summer is to use a salt spray mousse - really helps to hold body and wave without frizz.

Meanwhile I'm on the other side as my early thirties come roaring to an end here soon and I'm seeing some thinning on the crown of my head. Not that I can see it looking in a mirror, I otherwise have a full head of lettuce with a hairline close to when I was 18, but under the worst lighting from behind the sad reality is it's probably coming sooner than later. Doesn't help that I have an otherwise thick head of fine yet curly hair that clumps no matter how I comb or style it. Safe to say I never got to rock a cool haircut when that would have mattered to me growing up. 

Oh well, such is life. 

I thought I'd heard once that flat irons were bad long-term for your hair, causing damage to them. Is that not the case?

At some point I'll go back to my hair stylist, the last time I think was September. I figured the longer I wait, the more my hair will grow it, and the more he'll have to work with/give an opinion on.

The more heat you use on your hair, the more damage it will cause, yes. You can mitigate that damage by using heat protectant, using a low heat setting, and not heat styling every day. Damage doesn't have to mean your hair is going to be a fried mess, just needs some extra pampering.

5 hours ago, Starkess said:

The more heat you use on your hair, the more damage it will cause, yes. You can mitigate that damage by using heat protectant, using a low heat setting, and not heat styling every day. Damage doesn't have to mean your hair is going to be a fried mess, just needs some extra pampering.

Exactly.  I wash/blow dry/straighten once a week.  I’ll touch up here and there (hair has a mind of its own), but I’m not subjecting it to the full heat barrage every day.