Skin and Hair Care

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Got a haircut today. I went in with, I don’t want to lose more length than necessary, so cut only as much as you need to get rid of split ends, please. Okay, she shows me what seems like 1-1.5 inches max that she’s going to cut. This okay? Sure, that’s okay. 

So how did my hair end up 2.5-3 inches shorter than it was? I can’t say I care, not this day, this year, this age. But it’s still magic how they do this. 

On 4/11/2022 at 5:22 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Got a haircut today. I went in with, I don’t want to lose more length than necessary, so cut only as much as you need to get rid of split ends, please. Okay, she shows me what seems like 1-1.5 inches max that she’s going to cut. This okay? Sure, that’s okay. 

So how did my hair end up 2.5-3 inches shorter than it was? I can’t say I care, not this day, this year, this age. But it’s still magic how they do this. 

Did she show when wet?  Because at least my hair bounces when dry….  But I hear you.

I got the ugliest haircut the other day and I have nobody to blame but myself because I asked for this hideous thing. Going to invest in some hot-pink hammer pants and white high-tops because the only way out of this is through. :lol:

21 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I got the ugliest haircut the other day and I have nobody to blame but myself because I asked for this hideous thing. Going to invest in some hot-pink hammer pants and white high-tops because the only way out of this is through. :lol:

Please tell me you have a high-top.  Please.

11 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Please tell me you have a high-top.  Please.

hahaha close -- with enough product I could definitely create something approaching that look, but I'm lazy so instead I look like the 3rd-string catcher for a mid-80s Kansas City Royals farm team. It is, undeniably, a business mullet. 

Edited by Xray the Enforcer

On 4/14/2022 at 10:47 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Has anyone tried micro needling?

I'm going for my first serious facial in ages next week. It has microneedling as an option, I think.

My skin is just low-key annoying me recently. Hopefully a nice facial will rejuvenate it ready for warmer weather. 

On 4/14/2022 at 1:53 AM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Did she show when wet?  Because at least my hair bounces when dry….  But I hear you.

Yes, when wet, but then she dried it 2000s straight, so I’m not sure how much bounce there is. 

On 4/14/2022 at 11:47 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Has anyone tried micro needling?

Only the at-home kind. I paid a fair amount of money for the roller and experienced the same as below. Then again I didn’t use it regularly. It was the same kinda waste of money as the Clarisonic had been back in… whenever that was a thing. 

6 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I do it fairly regularly, supposedly it gets serums and such to penetrate further. I can’t say that I notice much difference but I pretty much resolved my skin issues before trying that.

Do you apply the serums before or after? 

On 4/16/2022 at 9:38 PM, Fury Resurrected said:

@RhaenysBee I do it after

@Isisif you’re looking for improvement in texture, a medium or deep peel is a great option

Went for my 'Ultimate Glow' facial yesterday. I was in there for an hour and 45 minutes (!) and as it was my first appointment the beautician wanted to give me 25% off (but I paid the full price). I had dermablading, microneedling, loads of massage, and some LED mask action. But best of all, she removed an ingrown hair from under my chin, which had annoyed me for ages. Extractions have always been my favourite part of facials.

Anyway, microneedling...sheesh. It felt like getting my face tattooed - and much like that experience it feels different on different parts (forehead was especially horrible in terms of vibrations). It was so physically stressful that it made me sweat profusely. The beautician told me afterwards: "you will look windburnt for an hour afterwards and then you will glow". LOL. This morning (12 hours later) I still look very slightly sunburned - a slight pink rather than red. But then as we had some warm weather in the UK over Easter, lots of people actually got sunburned and look redder than I do! I am curious to see if there are noticeable results to this technique...

• 2 weeks later...

oh wow, that was stressful even reading about it, @Isis My skin would freak TF out.

So I think I may have finally found a replacement for my previous daily SPF -- Biossance zinc sheer suncreen. It's still missing a bit of the mattefying quality of my last one but the texture otherwise is pretty good and it blends easily. 

Also been using Deciem's Sensitive Fix -- a serum that's supposed to help with redness and sensitivity (thanks, retinol). It's been about a month and I'm pretty sure my face is less red than it used to be, so that's good. 

Finally -- decided to get a tinted moisturizer to try to even out my skin tone, since right now it's a bit of a mess. Eventually settled on Colourpop because I didn't want to spend $30 or more on something that I'd hate (also difficult to find them without SPF). Seems good so far. 

My business mullet is growing out into something closer that I had envisioned when I asked for this haircut, so thank god for that. It's still a ridiculous haircut, but I'm enjoying it. 

• 1 month later...

Am I old enough to become my mother by buying the exact same scent she used to wear when I was a child? There’s just something weird about it but I also always liked that scent. I have the same creepy attachment to my late grandmother’s special occasion perfume. Or maybe I shouldn’t buy a perfume and be glad I can still afford food. *insert hide the pain Harold* 

• 3 months later...

Necromancing this thread because skin care is an ongoing endeavor! 

So I learned something over the last six or so months: My skin has changed so much that mineral-based sunscreens are now too drying for me to use. I've tried 15 or 20 of them at this point and none of them are suitable for long-term use. So I went back to the drawing board and have now landed on using a moisturizer with chemical sunscreens and I found one that works with whatever the hell is going on with my skin these days and LOL it's not even that expensive: La Roche Posay Tolerain 30SPF. My skin is stupid as hell. 

I think sometimes I want to do natural beauty more.  I want to try to use only my skincare routine to abolish the imperfections and no makeup. When I was trying to assemble my "For Life" list of beauty products, I wanted to be a Simple Kind of Man. I'm picturing Suave Ocean Breeze Shampoo and Conditioner and Maui Moisture Coconut Oil. It's really minimal. My mind thinks it's a rather odd way I have in life but it's the way I want it.

I had my first ever facial today. Getting my eyebrows threaded was the main impetus for booking a salon appointment and I figured to make the half hour train ride worth it.

I got off to an awkward start when I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to wear the terry wrap that looks like a skirt - I'm having a facial done so what level of undress is needed? After a few questions it was sorted and I was on my way to steamy bliss. Extractions aside (ow) it was super relaxing and enjoyable. My skin is excellent I'm told, though a little dehydrated with some sensitivity and redness. I went home with a reasonably priced calming serum from Skinceuticals. Overall, me likey. I'll look to book another appointment in 8 weeks. 

I also have been using a La Roche Posay sunscreen for my face this summer, I've been layering their Anthelios over my moisturizer. It works pretty well and applies easily, but I still feel like it makes my skin a bit sticky. I've never found a sunscreen that I'm 100% happy with, so I guess this may be as good as it gets for me!

Lately I've been being a bit more intentional with my nighttime routine and went from just using moisturizer and maybe 1x a week retinol if I remember to having a whole "skin cycling" thing set up. 1 night chemical exfoliant, 1 night retinol, 2 nights just moisturizer, repeat. I think it's working pretty well, though I still struggle with comedones, especially on my lower cheek/jaw. And some of my freckles are merging into larger sunspots. So it goes!

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone was skin cycling. I tend to be on a longer cycle of chemical exfoliation once a week, charcoal mask once a week, then pretty mostly the same routine on the five nights in between. I use a gentle retinol most nights (Sunday Riley Luna). 

My skin is alright. But for the amount of skincare product I put on it, it isn't really glowing. Maybe I need to switch to the four day skin cycle? I'm going to be at home for a month post surgery so that might be a good time to try it. 

@kairparavel extraction is my favourite part of a facial. So satisfying. Getting an ingrown hair removed from under my chin was so good!

• 2 weeks later...

I've never done a facial but maybe I should, physical extraction is the only thing that tends to work well on my comedones and it's a pain doing it at home and I'm probably never quite as good about sterilizing everything as I should be. 

Definitely better to let someone else (a professional!) do it for you. I don't really have the spare cash to get more than one facial per quarter done, but the place I go to now I really like the results, it actually feels/looks like my skin is better after.

I was reading something yesterday about 'gritting' to get rid of blackheads. Something about sandwiching different products together, e.g. clean with an oil cleanser, apply an acid (BHA) leave it on for 20 minutes, then clean off with more oil. It's meant to help dissolve 'bad oil/dirt' etc.

While I'm off work for another few weeks I am going to switch up my skincare routine to fully embrace the ABCSPF thing. This translates to using retinol (A) at night and vitamin C and SPF in the morning. I guess you use niacinamide (B) morning and night if you want. Currently I only use a gentle retinol oil once or twice a week...I'll be switching to a cream twice a week. Watch this space and see if my face falls off I guess.

For hair I like to just use a curl cream after I shower to enhance my naturally beautiful curls. Right now, I'm using Maui Moisture Coconut Oil and also Garnier Fructis Curl Refresher. The Curl Refresher, I use if I have not showered and need the hair to pick up some volume instead of it being limp and frizzy. I know that it isn't anything fancy, but I only shop with my Mom. This is what the places we go got! I do enjoy this Suave Ocean Breeze shampoo and conditioner. I have a pixie cut right now, so I do not feel the need to have anything more than this since Suave is pretty simplistic.

Does anyone know the cause of acne at thirty years old? I look so bad still. Especially since I want to do some really simplistic makeup - simplistic and minimal. I cannot seem to find a really good combination of cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. I am on medication for psych reasons. And it could be my diet. I just want to eliminate the acne since I want to use less to none of the makeup that I usually do. (For when I lounge around and even do a quick stop somewhere).

Anyway, I am trying this stuff for my face: Vitamin D Creme from Big Lots, Olay Witch Hazel Toner, and OXY Acne Cleanser, and Clean & Clear Acne Exfoliating Scrub. It's not much but I buy my beauty products when my Mom and I shop together.