Skin and Hair Care

Mr. Chatywin et al.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, Isis said:

Definitely better to let someone else (a professional!) do it for you. I don't really have the spare cash to get more than one facial per quarter done, but the place I go to now I really like the results, it actually feels/looks like my skin is better after.

I was reading something yesterday about 'gritting' to get rid of blackheads. Something about sandwiching different products together, e.g. clean with an oil cleanser, apply an acid (BHA) leave it on for 20 minutes, then clean off with more oil. It's meant to help dissolve 'bad oil/dirt' etc.

While I'm off work for another few weeks I am going to switch up my skincare routine to fully embrace the ABCSPF thing. This translates to using retinol (A) at night and vitamin C and SPF in the morning. I guess you use niacinamide (B) morning and night if you want. Currently I only use a gentle retinol oil once or twice a week...I'll be switching to a cream twice a week. Watch this space and see if my face falls off I guess.

I'm taking a Retin-A break, and my current nighttime routine is double cleanse, toner, 10% AHA, moisturizer, and eye cream. In the morning, I cleanse with Youth to the People Superfoods, tone, and then apply Vitamin C (without E) and Allies of Skin Prebiotics and Niacinamide Pore Refining Booster. With some exceptions, I switched my skincare to GM Collins, and I am loving their products. I really appreciate the fact they have a Vitamin C without Vitamin E. Most Vitamin C formulations have Vitamin E, and Vitamin E turns my skin into a grease pit. The Allies of Skin product was a great find for me because Niacinamides increase the oil on my face, and this product does the opposite. It does have a weird petrochemical smell even though it is a vegan product. The smell dissipates quickly, though. 

Your proposed skincare routine for your time off sounds perfect. How is it working out so far? Have you ever used an AHA before in place of a retinol or Retin-A?

10 hours ago, Ravenhair said:

I'm taking a Retin-A break, and my current nighttime routine is double cleanse, toner, 10% AHA, moisturizer, and eye cream. In the morning, I cleanse with Youth to the People Superfoods, tone, and then apply Vitamin C (without E) and Allies of Skin Prebiotics and Niacinamide Pore Refining Booster. With some exceptions, I switched my skincare to GM Collins, and I am loving their products. I really appreciate the fact they have a Vitamin C without Vitamin E. Most Vitamin C formulations have Vitamin E, and Vitamin E turns my skin into a grease pit. The Allies of Skin product was a great find for me because Niacinamides increase the oil on my face, and this product does the opposite. It does have a weird petrochemical smell even though it is a vegan product. The smell dissipates quickly, though. 

Your proposed skincare routine for your time off sounds perfect. How is it working out so far? Have you ever used an AHA before in place of a retinol or Retin-A?

It's great that you can get formulations with just one active ingredient in them these days. Skincare is such a huge empire that you can pretty much get whatever thing you want or need if you look in the right place.

My skin does feel a tiny bit drier than it did before I started this. It's not showing any visible signs of reacting badly but it just feels a bit tighter. Saying that, I started using the Niacinamide AND the Retinol at once, which were both new for my skin so perhaps it is low key annoyed about that. I'll persevere with this and hope my skin adjusts, drink plenty of water and stick some nice face oil on before bed every night. I recently got a really nice Gua Sha tool so that's my latest piece of faddy nonsense and I use that to massage my face oil in.

I've used acids on my face for quite a while now and my skin gets on fine with it. I like the Drunk Elephant glycolic night serum, but I only put it on once a week so I can't honestly say it is doing anything special. There is a place for both acids and retinol I think (but not on the same day). 

• 4 months later...

I still want to do things the more natural way.

I found out because I experimented that Clean & Clear Morning Burst, Clean & Clear Astringent, plus Olay Moisturizer, and also Clean & Clear Night Relaxing Cleanser I found out that all these work so well with me. Why should I mess with a good thing. My face is so clear.

I want to sunbathe this summer to get clear skin and because I am sick of being overly pale. This is part of a plan. While using the sunscreen that enhances the tan and enhances the glow, I can get the overall look of my skin in which there are no blemishes. In my mind I believe that sunbathing with these products on will give me smoother skin and also because of the sunrays. And the next thing in this plan is to drink some lemon water and green tea because those boost the beauty of the skin.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:59 AM, Jikm said:

I want to sunbathe this summer to get clear skin and because I am sick of being overly pale. This is part of a plan. 

At some point in the last few months I was discussing makeup techniques with my shrink. I expressed that I've gotten good at it, but I don't actually have a foundation that matches my skin tone. 

At which point she said "Yeah, they don't really make one that's Casper-toned." 

So I've been looking forward to that sun too. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I may have asked this before and never acted on it, but does anyone have opinions on electric razors for close shaves? Been considering getting a nicer one, but I can't tell the difference between any of the ones in the $150-$250 range and some that are a lot cheaper seem to be fairly similar.

• 2 months later...

On hols in Portugal so giving my retinoate a break. Moving into my mid 40s, I may go up to a prescription soonish though. Will probably have to see my GP for the first time in…. A few years… for that thought. 

Enjoying the tatcha brand quite a bit at the moment, for the rice polish cleanser(easy to travel with), indigo night cream, tonic and blotters. 

Still trialling facial spf. Kiehls ultra light aqua gel has been my mainstay for the last few years. Not loving ultra violetette fluid at the moment. I don’t know if I’m putting it on too soon to my moisturiser but it pills. Next will be a coco and eve water gel . I have bought, and diligently wear 2 enormously brimmed hats.

Chats, you use La Mer sometimes don’t you? Any thoughts on the hydrating emulsion or micro peel.

I’m bouncing between the micro peel and some 111skin sheet masks. Have a week to decide as won’t be home before that and since covid deliveries tend to just get left on the doorstep (which I generally don’t mind but not ideal when away).

Just checking, is there really no cure for split ends other than regular salon cuts. I’m terrible at making appointments though I do follow through when made. I bought a sharp scissors for homesnipping but doesn’t seem to make a difference

• 1 month later...

I got asked by my mom today if I was dying my hair. That's pretty funny because one of the things she's proudest of is at 70 she barely has any white hairs. And no I am not. My hair just changes color, like my eyes, and is currently in the weird phase where in one light it looks dirty blond and in another more brownish. The difference is more noticeable though because I decided not to shave for a few months except to clean up the edges. Idk what to even call its color because it's a mix of the two.

Anyways I shaved it to look like a pirate so that's pretty fun. I might not shave again until Halloween (outside of the obvious grooming). It's nice to know I can rock a full beard if needed, but damn do I need to upgrade my grooming gear. 

I got some 0.25 retinol about a year ago (it was over the counter in, uh, I think I was in Uganda?) and have just finished the tube, but I did get some 0.5 in Mexico at some point, so now starting that, a little nervously. My skin seemed really fine with the 0.25 (including eye area, which maybe I should be more careful with) every other night with a few breaks. I think it's helping, and overall I think my skin has definitely chilled the fuck out a bit, but I've also been ok with sunscreen and moisturizer.

What I have, I got from Walmart. There's some Vitamin D Creme and I think this drastically has made my day because I want to try to make up a list of purchases to use them over and over again. The face routine is what I want to concentrate on. But I'm going to stay safe to say that I am going to buy not at Ulta. But some products on Amazon are good and consistent with what I want. As well as Walmart.  Maybe once I am able to pull it together will I see what art was done when this was going on. This is my project as part of "Self-Care Binder". 

Retin-A is da bomb.  I have zero wrinkles.   Stay out of the sun!  It is an evil orb and will scar you in ways you won't even know about until it's too late. 

Any other women shave the peach fuzz off their faces?  It occurred to me that it's a pretty good microdermabrasion and cheaper than going to the aesthetician. 

4 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Retin-A is da bomb.  I have zero wrinkles.   Stay out of the sun!  It is an evil orb and will scar you in ways you won't even know about until it's too late. 

Any other women shave the peach fuzz off their faces?  It occurred to me that it's a pretty good microdermabrasion and cheaper than going to the aesthetician. 

I shaved a few times at some point because I lost my tweezers at some conference in the middle of nowhere* and my skin loved it. Still do it once a week or so instead. Way quicker too.

*OK, I can't complain, it was on a beach in Brazil. But there weren't any useful stores anywhere nearby.

I use a facial razor like this to clean up my face and an electric razor on my armpits and legs when I do shave my body. 

I have never stressed enough how crucial Walmart is. I got some NEXXUS shampoo and conditioner there for about 15 dollars for each bottle which is duplicitous-ly not cheap shit. And it's a good size bottle. I wanted some better stuff for my hair than the shit I was using. 

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't cut my hair in around five months. This is pretty close to the longest it's ever been. It's tough deciding if I want to cut it for the holidays or not, but if I don't I really need to do some more research on haircare. I'm close to Mark Hamill in A New Hope at this point. 

• 1 month later...

I'm having issues with my skin, which seems to have become super sensitive lately. I've got angry red patches all over that get very hot and itchy, and I've also got patches of dry and scaly skin, particularly around the forehead and creeping back to the scalp/into the hairline . I'm moisturising with a fragrance free "Vaseline Instant Dry Skin Rescue" which at least doesn't set off the red patches but it also doesn't do much for my skin as its dry and flaky/scaly again within a few hours. I'm anxious to use anything more heavy duty because of these red patches. I've also got areas of sensitivity under my arms, on my hands and my inner thighs.

I'm currently looking for something I can use that is gentle but I can use daily for washing/showering. Recommendations for a shampoo and/or care routines would be handy too given the dryness creeping onto the scalp too. I've cut out all of my previous body washes, shampoos etc. and I'm currently using Dove hypoallergenic which isn't awful but still stings and inflames these red patches a little.

Any recommendations would be nice. 

Context, in case helpful: No recent dietary changes. This has been going on and getting steadily worse for about a month now. I hadn't introduced any new products which is why I'm struggling to see what caused it. I'm on hormones, but have been for some time without this particular issue so I don't think its them. No pets in the home for it to be allergies.

This topic is very important to me as a person who has been struggling with different skin problems for years. I have a good routine now, and my skin is almost perfect, but because of some stress, a lot of tasks to do, and stuff in my personal life, I have some withdrawal. And, of course, it makes me sad. I'm going to try a new cream with retinol, and I'm slightly afraid. I know that retinol can cause a purge, and it's what I'm afraid of. Has someone had it? Was it bad? I know that it's individual, but I'd still appreciate someone sharing their experience.

Never posted my curly girl method side quest. So my hair is naturally wavy-curly-ish. Somewhere on the murky border between 2C and 3A. I have been straightening or blow drying it for 15ish years (or hair wash days, never in between, so say every 4-5ish days). Also dying my hair (its natural color) for 10ish years. So it’s definitely dry but I wouldn’t say it’s overly damaged, I have always conditioned, deep hydrated it, used heat protection, etc.

anyway, my consoling thought for potential chemo treatment was always, hey at least I can grow out my hair curly and dye it silly colors, so I’ve been toying with this natural curls idea for some time. Then I didn’t have to get chemo, so I wanted to enjoy my looooong bouncy blowout/flat iron waves. Then one day didn’t want to bother with the flat iron and thought to myself well why not try having natural curls now. First time was kind of a disaster but then I got curly products and found the right method. Curly cream and air dry was not a good combo for me, but curly gel and diffuse dry or curly gel and air dry do work.

Never got so many compliments on my hair, a colleague even told me I look like a Disney princess. Apparently people like when you don’t look like everybody else and do not conform to hair trends. I don’t like it. Maybe it’s the cut, because I have long layers and curtain bangs which are suited for barely there waves and blowout rather than curls, but it looks kinda alien to me and brings back feelings of puberty struggles with my unruly hair and not having the right products, tools and knowledge to manage it and feeling like an ugly duckling.

I don’t want to commit to a curly cut because, I’m attached to my hair length. Oh and the reason this is an issue is that my flat iron is living out its last days and getting a new one is either €200 expense or worse quality and result than my 15 year old flat iron. So basically the conundrum comes down to, do I chop off 15cms of my mid back length hair to see if I like the way curls look on me better or stick with the hair trends and pay up for a proper flat iron. (I did attempt to get a new flat iron at €70ish, it’s utter garbage) 

I've realize how important Keratin products are! This chemical helps to de-frizz hair and make it straighter. I'm really glad I bought this shit on Amazon because it even produces accelerated growth! I used to get a buzzcut and it hasn't lengthened out yet. This way I can grow my hair sooo much faster. For hair, I've continued to use just Walmart and Amazon products and it works out! For skincare, I'm just going through Walmart. I don't know how rudimentary this is....

• 3 weeks later...

Still going strong on not cutting my hair (outside of minor clean ups which I mainly do myself). It's been over seven months now and even then I didn't have much taken off. I'm finally able to style it to some extent, but it needs to get longer. I also fully shaved for the first time this week in months and really do look a lot younger without a beard. 

It's been pretty funny seeing people question my driver's license considering the pic is of me clean cut with short hair.