Jump to content

Skin and Hair Care


Tywin et al.
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Fez said:

My whole life I've had various styles of very short haircuts, but I started growing it out mid-way through the pandemic. I got a professional cut for the first time since pre-COVID back in May to turn it from a natural mullet into more of an undercut-type thing; and went back in July to get the back and sides touched up but let the hair on top keep growing.

At this point, it's probably about 5 or 6 inches long; and when I first put gel in after a shower it looks great. But I'm having a couple hair problems for the first time in my life:

1. If I don't put any gel in, my hair gets extremely curly and frizzy.

2. The gel I am using (a "firm hold") only seems to last a few hours. I'm trying to keep my hair slicked back, but it doesn't take long to fall to the sides and give me an extremely '90s middle part.

Anyone with more than a couple months experience of actually caring for their hair have any tips?

try slicking it back with no product straight out of the shower, put on a hat to hold it place as it dries for an hour or so, then apply the gel.  

worked for me when I needed to keep my curly long hair under control for a wedding or something when I used to have long hair.  ymmv.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Fez said:

1. If I don't put any gel in, my hair gets extremely curly and frizzy.

2. The gel I am using (a "firm hold") only seems to last a few hours. I'm trying to keep my hair slicked back, but it doesn't take long to fall to the sides and give me an extremely '90s middle part.

Anyone with more than a couple months experience of actually caring for their hair have any tips?

I have very coarse, curly, aggressive hair, so I totally get your struggle. 

To solve issue #1, you'll need to do 2 things to keep it under control -- first, make sure you're using a conditioner separate from your shampoo. It doesn't need to be fancy or expensive, but opt for something for "dry" hair.

Second thing is to use a light leave-in treatment. I really like this one: https://www.sheamoisture.com/100-virgin-coconut-oil-leave-in-treatment/764302204213.html I spray a bit (maybe 6-7 pumps) into my palm, then distribute in my hair, mostly from mid-shaft to the ends. It keeps everything mellow without it looking like I have any product in it at all. 

To solve issue #2, you will want to talk to your stylist. Tell them that you want to keep your hair slicked back. They will make sure to cut your hair in a way that it'll be less likely to fall to the sides (they'll take out some of the weight while leaving the length). They can also give you pretty clear instructions on how to get the look you want and which products and techniques to use to achieve it. 

If you're really committed, you can always try egg whites or some super-intense hairspray, but I'm guessing you don't actually want an impervious helmet on your head? 

ETA: Larry has a good tip with the hat + gel. You may have a hair dryer/diffuser purchase in your future.

Edited by Xray the Enforcer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I recently tried growing my hair out it was a little longer than what Fez described before I gave up and went back to keeping it short. The one thing I could never figure out is even with two different types of product in it why it looked like I just stood in front of an industrial fan anytime after even a light breeze would come, and yet it seemed like everyone else's hair was barely moving. I get that I have fine hair, but come on!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have found that switching up my estrogen regimen from .025 Vivelle dot + The Pill (Yasmin) to .05 Vivelle Dot has been pretty good for my skin after all, and perhaps the first time I tried it when I got a terrible case of folliculitis on my back might not have been the fault of the medication?

However, I wonder in 0.075 on the Vivelle Dot might be just that little something extra for something more applicable to the Dating Thread, so I’m going to (at some point) Talk to My Doctor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I have very coarse, curly, aggressive hair, so I totally get your struggle. 

To solve issue #1, you'll need to do 2 things to keep it under control -- first, make sure you're using a conditioner separate from your shampoo. It doesn't need to be fancy or expensive, but opt for something for "dry" hair.

Second thing is to use a light leave-in treatment. I really like this one: https://www.sheamoisture.com/100-virgin-coconut-oil-leave-in-treatment/764302204213.html I spray a bit (maybe 6-7 pumps) into my palm, then distribute in my hair, mostly from mid-shaft to the ends. It keeps everything mellow without it looking like I have any product in it at all. 

To solve issue #2, you will want to talk to your stylist. Tell them that you want to keep your hair slicked back. They will make sure to cut your hair in a way that it'll be less likely to fall to the sides (they'll take out some of the weight while leaving the length). They can also give you pretty clear instructions on how to get the look you want and which products and techniques to use to achieve it. 

If you're really committed, you can always try egg whites or some super-intense hairspray, but I'm guessing you don't actually want an impervious helmet on your head? 

ETA: Larry has a good tip with the hat + gel. You may have a hair dryer/diffuser purchase in your future.

Yeah, a couple months ago I finally upgraded from the 3-in-1 body wash I've used for years to getting separate shampoos, conditioners, and a better body wash. Although I opted for the "repair" kind, although that was mostly a price thing.

I have talked to my stylist at both appointments, and he tried his best. The thing he said at the second appointment was that I have extremely strong, thick hair, and it wants to face forward. But if it grows out a bit more the weight will help keep it back. Maybe it just needs to grow out even more than it already is; but it is at the point now where the hair at the front can reach past the crown of my head. Which seems like it should be enough, but I guess not.

I definitely don't want a helmet on my head. In fact, ideally I wouldn't put anything in my hair and it'd just flow backwards, but I suspect that's not possible unless I grew it so much that I had a ponytail and could simply tie it back. And that's not quite the look I'm going for.

What is a leave-in treatment?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yeah, a couple months ago I finally upgraded from the 3-in-1 body wash I've used for years to getting separate shampoos, conditioners, and a better body wash. Although I opted for the "repair" kind, although that was mostly a price thing.

I have talked to my stylist at both appointments, and he tried his best. The thing he said at the second appointment was that I have extremely strong, thick hair, and it wants to face forward. But if it grows out a bit more the weight will help keep it back. Maybe it just needs to grow out even more than it already is; but it is at the point now where the hair at the front can reach past the crown of my head. Which seems like it should be enough, but I guess not.

I definitely don't want a helmet on my head. In fact, ideally I wouldn't put anything in my hair and it'd just flow backwards, but I suspect that's not possible unless I grew it so much that I had a ponytail and could simply tie it back. And that's not quite the look I'm going for.

What is a leave-in treatment?

There are some conditioners that you put on your hair and do not wash out (you leave them in).  I use this for my very thick, somewhat curly hair (which I routinely heat-damage).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

There are some conditioners that you put on your hair and do not wash out (you leave them in).  I use this for my very thick, somewhat curly hair (which I routinely heat-damage).  

Interesting. Does it get absorbed or stay on the hair? I run my fingers through my hair a lot these days, and I'd hate if it ended up getting on my fingers and then onto everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

Interesting. Does it get absorbed or stay on the hair? I run my fingers through my hair a lot these days, and I'd hate if it ended up getting on my fingers and then onto everything.

So my hair is extremely porous (and I have the hair coloring debacles to prove it) and also dry (I only wash my hair once every 4-5 days at the most).  (I also use a very light serum from bumble and bumble on my hair to control the frizz and manage the heat).  I have never had that kind of issue.  It's sort of like any product - you have to use the right amount.  If you put in more than the recommended amount that might be an issue?  I'd talk to your stylist regarding what they recommend for your hair type.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Any advice for someone experiencing hair thinning?

Forget about it.

Shave it. Short, or completely to the skin. Grow a beard. You might be surprised by how good you look.

The alternative is spending the foreseeable future vainly trying to conceal your widows peak and/or bald patch using a series of increasingly complicated combing techniques. However, you won't be fooling anyone, and will likely just end up looking a bit of a tit.

Or you could get a transplant. The technology has come on quite a bit since Wayne Rooney went to Istanbul and transferred a whole bunch of hair from his arse-crack to his spam.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fez said:

Interesting. Does it get absorbed or stay on the hair? I run my fingers through my hair a lot these days, and I'd hate if it ended up getting on my fingers and then onto everything.

I touch my hair a lot and never had problems with the one I linked. But Zabz is correct that it'll probably depend on the product and your hair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Any advice for someone experiencing hair thinning?

All other dismissive posters aside, some people are not meant to shave their heads. This would include me, if I decided to go Britney circa 2006 or Sinead O’Connor.

I can absolutely recommend considering Rogaine. Though don’t do Propecia, that’s ED in a pill, right there. Rogaine is a topical solution and will only give you thicker hair while it is effective (ie, while you are using it.)

You might also consider “extensions” to add volume. Talk to your hairdresser.

Edited by Chataya de Fleury
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2021 at 10:30 AM, Fez said:

2. The gel I am using (a "firm hold") only seems to last a few hours. I'm trying to keep my hair slicked back, but it doesn't take long to fall to the sides and give me an extremely '90s middle part.

If it makes you any feel better, those middle parts are extremely in now ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 11:26 AM, Fez said:

...

What is a leave-in treatment?

I use a leave-in conditioner by Aveda that I really like.  I'll look it up and add it here.

 I have yours and X-Ray's type of hair...it was perfect in the 80s.  It's coarse, curly, and will reach the heavens if I so choose.  

Unfortunately, it's a wee bit dated, and I live in one of the most humid locales on the planet. So it's frizzy.  And out of control.  I struggle with my hair constantly.  I'm starting to embrace it, though, and in spite of filling up the square on video calls, I'm wearing it large and enjoying it more than I used to.  Large hair might not be an option for you, though.  My brother has the same exact hair and keeps his cropped fairly close to his scalp.  It looks very polished and professional.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

All other dismissive posters aside, some people are not meant to shave their heads. This would include me, if I decided to go Britney circa 2006 or Sinead O’Connor.

I can absolutely recommend considering Rogaine. Though don’t do Propecia, that’s ED in a pill, right there. Rogaine is a topical solution and will only give you thicker hair while it is effective (ie, while you are using it.)

You might also consider “extensions” to add volume. Talk to your hairdresser.

I can't shave with a razor, I end up getting crazy folliculitis and ingrown hairs.  Saw a dermatologist about it a few years ago and they gave me a couple products to try to minimize the irritation, but to no avail. 

I use an electric beard trimmer on my face but anything setting shorter than a 5 o'clock shadow is going to cause problems for me.  I imagine if I shaved my head I'd have the same issues.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...