Skin and Hair Care

Mr. Chatywin et al.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:02 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Doesn't help that I have an otherwise thick head of fine yet curly hair that clumps no matter how I comb or style it.

Shame you were born thirty years too late for a proper 1970s brillo-pad combover. Didn't do Gene Hackman any harm

29 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, that's what everybody thinks.... 

Eh, currently I'm just dealing with a spot the size of a small coin, and it's only noticeable when I really let my hair grow out (which is when it starts clumping if I don't comb it). If you saw a picture of me you'd think I was crazy to complain, but we all notice are small flaws more than others. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, currently I'm just dealing with a spot the size of a small coin, and it's only noticeable when I really let my hair grow out (which is when it starts clumping if I don't comb it). If you saw a picture of me you'd think I was crazy to complain, but we all notice are small flaws more than others. 

Don't worry mate. I'm only pulling yer pudding. Is your maternal grandfather bald? 

42 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I didn't get a lot from my dad but I still have a full head of hair (no grey) at 46.

It was worth all the emotional abuse and disappointment. 

When you have a full head and just a touch of grey at 66 talk to me then. 

My hair has been doing weird things.  I was joking last week about ironing my head, but maybe there's something to that?  Basically I want to brush it to one side, but both sides seem to want to bend towards the top.  So it bunches up on the left side.  If I put some gel it in it behaves enough, but it still drives me nuts.

Started growing my hair longer (2-3X as long as in my av picture, not actually long).  And then I got one bad haircut where he went too close too high on the left, and it's never pointed the right way since.  At least I have hair, I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of us who have suffered from melasma/hyperpigmentation, I have a new recommendation!

previously the only thing that had been helping were medium to deep chemical peels at my medspa. Those were very effective and results took about a week, which was when I finished looking like a shedding snake. This option is great, but expensive (best one I got was a one and done but it was about $700)

I have signed up for Musely, which is an online based subscription service for prescription skincare (they also deal with lightening skin in ***other*** areas). In 2 1/2 weeks I’ve seen significant improvement in my melasma, which I was expecting to either not work at all or take longer since I’d stopped believing in topicals after months of using SkinMedica’s Lytera 2.0 to no avail (and it’s expensive). I was pretty impressed and would recommend it. I was pretty peely for the first week or so, which is usually the case when I get a new product.

You can pm me if you want to try it, pretty sure my account has some discount codes and they’re stingy about other types of discounts at signup.

Has anyone dealt with very dry eyelids? This started happening to me like a month ago and it's driving me insane. At first, I thought I had accidentally gotten some of my retinol cream on my eyelids, as it was very similar to retinization--the skin started peeling, it was red and a bit burny, and very dry. But I haven't used any retinol cream at all since then and the skin is still peeling and dry. It's not even the driest time of the year! It looks terrible and makes my eyes look extra tired and feels bad and makes it impossible to wear eye makeup if I wanted to. I've been using a bit of Vaseline which helps but doesn't seem to be actually making it better, just soothing the symptoms.

Anyway, not sure what the best avenue is. Eye creams? Plain moisturizer? Time? I'm sick of having scaly eyelids!!

1 hour ago, Starkess said:

Has anyone dealt with very dry eyelids? This started happening to me like a month ago and it's driving me insane. At first, I thought I had accidentally gotten some of my retinol cream on my eyelids, as it was very similar to retinization--the skin started peeling, it was red and a bit burny, and very dry. But I haven't used any retinol cream at all since then and the skin is still peeling and dry. It's not even the driest time of the year! It looks terrible and makes my eyes look extra tired and feels bad and makes it impossible to wear eye makeup if I wanted to. I've been using a bit of Vaseline which helps but doesn't seem to be actually making it better, just soothing the symptoms.

Anyway, not sure what the best avenue is. Eye creams? Plain moisturizer? Time? I'm sick of having scaly eyelids!!

When I get peely I use a good moisturizer and serum, let those absorb a few minutes, and then I use a petrolatum based product to seal it in (I use Nivea cream) so the air can’t steal the moisture you just applied. If you want to wear eyeshadow or don’t want to be shiny, I’d do this before bed

On 4/4/2022 at 5:56 AM, Starkess said:

Were you using eye cream regularly before that happened? I use a few different ones that are well liked (enjoyed!) by my eyes. I forgot to bring one when I swam before work the other day and putting any other skincare product on my lids after without that base layer of eye cream felt unpleasant.

I am a big fan of 8 Hour Cream (I call it 'cream', but it's the 'healing horses hooves' ointment format) for any sore skin on my face (e.g. dry or itchy). I'm pretty into the herbal aroma, but most people aren't fans. There's also a nice Beauty Pie product called Happy Skin which does a similar job (probably half the price too). I do find that some (not all) moisturisers can sting if you apply them on any broken skin, the eye area especially. 

On 4/4/2022 at 12:59 AM, Fury Resurrected said:

When I get peely I use a good moisturizer and serum, let those absorb a few minutes, and then I use a petrolatum based product to seal it in (I use Nivea cream) so the air can’t steal the moisture you just applied. If you want to wear eyeshadow or don’t want to be shiny, I’d do this before bed

On 4/4/2022 at 10:28 AM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Yes :)

I gently exfoliate with a cotton ball, then use an eye cream and at night, will also seal that in with Vaseline.

You don’t want to just use Vaseline because all that does is act like an occlusive barrier, it won’t give you any moisture. You need to moisturize first with an eye cream before you add the occlusive barrier.

9 hours ago, Isis said:

Were you using eye cream regularly before that happened? I use a few different ones that are well liked (enjoyed!) by my eyes. I forgot to bring one when I swam before work the other day and putting any other skincare product on my lids after without that base layer of eye cream felt unpleasant.

I am a big fan of 8 Hour Cream (I call it 'cream', but it's the 'healing horses hooves' ointment format) for any sore skin on my face (e.g. dry or itchy). I'm pretty into the herbal aroma, but most people aren't fans. There's also a nice Beauty Pie product called Happy Skin which does a similar job (probably half the price too). I do find that some (not all) moisturisers can sting if you apply them on any broken skin, the eye area especially. 

Thanks! I am using moisturizer before the Vaseline but not specifically eye cream. It's the same winter moisturizer I've been using for years (had to switch when I moved to Chicago, damn these winters), but maybe my skin just needs more these days. I am about to be 35 this year...

I'll experiment with some more targeted eye creams or serums to use at night!

Been fighting an epic battle with hormonal acne lately. I switched to Differin back in December and it seems to be helping. I'm not loving the skin sensitivity or the fact that my face has become redder, but I suppose those are acceptable payoffs. Now looking for a good skin tint without SPF (I've found two acceptable daily-use sunscreens to replace the Shiseido, although neither are particularly great at shine control). 

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Been fighting an epic battle with hormonal acne lately. I switched to Differin back in December and it seems to be helping. I'm not loving the skin sensitivity or the fact that my face has become redder, but I suppose those are acceptable payoffs. Now looking for a good skin tint without SPF (I've found two acceptable daily-use sunscreens to replace the Shiseido, although neither are particularly great at shine control). 

I was never able to get a handle on hormonal acne until I was prescribed spironolactone (it’s a pill, not a topical). If you’re not happy with the Differin you could ask your derm about it. It was a real game changer for me

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I was never able to get a handle on hormonal acne until I was prescribed spironolactone (it’s a pill, not a topical). If you’re not happy with the Differin you could ask your derm about it. It was a real game changer for me

thanks for the confirmation on that one -- I was thinking spiro was going to be my next step. If everything stabilizes, I might stick with Differin, just because one more doctor/prescription to manage is not something I'm keen to take on. But it's definitely on my radar.  

[insert obligatory rant about how it's relatively easy for cis women to get spiro for acne, but doctors make it difficult as hell for trans women to get the same goddamned drug for reasons.] 

Edited by Xray the Enforcer

On 4/10/2022 at 11:57 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

thanks for the confirmation on that one -- I was thinking spiro was going to be my next step. If everything stabilizes, I might stick with Differin, just because one more doctor/prescription to manage is not something I'm keen to take on. But it's definitely on my radar.  

[insert obligatory rant about how it's relatively easy for cis women to get spiro for acne, but doctors make it difficult as hell for trans women to get the same goddamned drug for reasons.] 

If you’re having discrimination related issues you could try Nurx, which is where I get my spironolactone and trentinoin and birth control prescriptions via online service. They have a very limited and specific scope but it’s a very straightforward process where you fill out a questionnaire and send photos so they can confirm yes you have acne or whatever and they just mail you your prescriptions. They were also great when I just messaged saying I wanted to switch from .05 to .1% trentinoin. It being more impersonal seems to also make it more impartial