Skin and Hair Care

Tywin et al.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:52 PM, Elder Sister said:

So I've tried this stuff called Surya Brasil Henna cream in the Silver Fox color, because I'm a ginger with a lot of grey coming in, and thought it would make me look like the silver fox IG model who was shilling it.  

The main thing to know about henna is that real henna gives some shade of orange/red and nothing else. You can mix with some other plant powders to push it towards shades of brown, even getting it to a quite dark brown with indigo, but the henna itself only contains reddish colour. 

On 1/27/2022 at 11:35 AM, Linda said:

The main thing to know about henna is that real henna gives some shade of orange/red and nothing else. You can mix with some other plant powders to push it towards shades of brown, even getting it to a quite dark brown with indigo, but the henna itself only contains reddish colour. 

Third time's the  charm! I think.

• 1 month later...

So I've continued to grow out my hair, because it's something to do. And it's getting to the point where leave-in conditioner doesn't seem to be helping much anymore in keeping my hair from getting wavy/frizzy. The problem is that's shoulder-length now, at least in the back, so I can't just keep the hair patted down on my scalp with the conditioner.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can have my hair look more like this:

https://www.hairdohairstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/13-Long-hairstyles-for-Men-with-Straight-Hair.jpg

and less like this

https://coolmenshair.com/wp-content/uploads/3-10.jpg

?

Ignoring the fact that Pitt probably sees a stylist at least weekly.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

So I've continued to grow out my hair, because it's something to do. And it's getting to the point where leave-in conditioner doesn't seem to be helping much anymore in keeping my hair from getting wavy/frizzy. The problem is that's shoulder-length now, at least in the back, so I can't just keep the hair patted down on my scalp with the conditioner.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can have my hair look more like this:

https://www.hairdohairstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/13-Long-hairstyles-for-Men-with-Straight-Hair.jpg

and less like this

https://coolmenshair.com/wp-content/uploads/3-10.jpg

?

Ignoring the fact that Pitt probably sees a stylist at least weekly.

The only thing I can think of is heat styling - Ie, blow dry with a round brush (this takes practice or you can look really floofy) or alternately a flat iron.

My son uses a flat iron on his shoulder-length hair to get it to behave the way he wants. Flat irons don’t have to be used only to get hair stick-straight. A lower heat setting or use only on troublesome parts will do the job if you still want some waviness.

4 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

The only thing I can think of is heat styling - Ie, blow dry with a round brush (this takes practice or you can look really floofy) or alternately a flat iron.

My son uses a flat iron on his shoulder-length hair to get it to behave the way he wants. Flat irons don’t have to be used only to get hair stick-straight. A lower heat setting or use only on troublesome parts will do the job if you still want some waviness.

So my hair is basically the texture in the second picture and is very thick.  I am a big fan of the flat iron. You do need to invest in a good one and in good heat shielding products for your hair.  I use a narrow flat iron because I’m not trying to get stick straight.  I do use a lot of product - bumble has several good ones, but I would ask your hair dresser.  Another trick of mine in the summer is to use a salt spray mousse - really helps to hold body and wave without frizz.

Meanwhile I'm on the other side as my early thirties come roaring to an end here soon and I'm seeing some thinning on the crown of my head. Not that I can see it looking in a mirror, I otherwise have a full head of lettuce with a hairline close to when I was 18, but under the worst lighting from behind the sad reality is it's probably coming sooner than later. Doesn't help that I have an otherwise thick head of fine yet curly hair that clumps no matter how I comb or style it. Safe to say I never got to rock a cool haircut when that would have mattered to me growing up. 

Oh well, such is life. 

Embrace it! Once you start buzzing it all off you'll save a ton of money on haircuts and whichever hair gunge* is currently popular, and getting yourself ready will take no time at all. Low maintenance is the best!

*I'm very out of touch with hair styling products. What are the cool kids using these days? Mousse? Gel? Wax? Clay? Sputum? Custard?

I thought I'd heard once that flat irons were bad long-term for your hair, causing damage to them. Is that not the case?

At some point I'll go back to my hair stylist, the last time I think was September. I figured the longer I wait, the more my hair will grow it, and the more he'll have to work with/give an opinion on.

The more heat you use on your hair, the more damage it will cause, yes. You can mitigate that damage by using heat protectant, using a low heat setting, and not heat styling every day. Damage doesn't have to mean your hair is going to be a fried mess, just needs some extra pampering.

5 hours ago, Starkess said:

The more heat you use on your hair, the more damage it will cause, yes. You can mitigate that damage by using heat protectant, using a low heat setting, and not heat styling every day. Damage doesn't have to mean your hair is going to be a fried mess, just needs some extra pampering.

Exactly.  I wash/blow dry/straighten once a week.  I’ll touch up here and there (hair has a mind of its own), but I’m not subjecting it to the full heat barrage every day.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:02 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Doesn't help that I have an otherwise thick head of fine yet curly hair that clumps no matter how I comb or style it.

Shame you were born thirty years too late for a proper 1970s brillo-pad combover. Didn't do Gene Hackman any harm

41 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Shame you were born thirty years too late for a proper 1970s brillo-pad combover. Didn't do Gene Hackman any harm

Lol, I'm a long ways from that. 

29 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, that's what everybody thinks.... 

Eh, currently I'm just dealing with a spot the size of a small coin, and it's only noticeable when I really let my hair grow out (which is when it starts clumping if I don't comb it). If you saw a picture of me you'd think I was crazy to complain, but we all notice are small flaws more than others. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, currently I'm just dealing with a spot the size of a small coin, and it's only noticeable when I really let my hair grow out (which is when it starts clumping if I don't comb it). If you saw a picture of me you'd think I was crazy to complain, but we all notice are small flaws more than others. 

Don't worry mate. I'm only pulling yer pudding. Is your maternal grandfather bald? 

42 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I didn't get a lot from my dad but I still have a full head of hair (no grey) at 46.

It was worth all the emotional abuse and disappointment. 

When you have a full head and just a touch of grey at 66 talk to me then.