Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kinola

"What If?" Scenarios

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

(Sorry, my keyboard has been out of funk lately. I don't know why.)

So with Disney doing a "What if?" series with Marvel, I thought about kickstarting one up with Game of Thrones (I don't think anyone did this on here yet? I checked). You can either come up with your own or try to answer some of the scenarios I listed below.

What would happen if...

  • Rhaegar didn't abduct/run away with Lyanna? 
  • Rhaegar married Cersei instead of Elia?
  • Rhaella survived childbirth with Daenerys? 
  • Aerys didn't kill Rickard and Brandon?
  • Jamie took the throne for himself after killing Aerys?
  • Elia and her children didn't die?
  • Quellon Greyjoy (Theon's grandpa) survived Robert's Rebellion?
  • Robert died on the Trident instead of Rhaegar?
  • Rhaegar and Robert both died on the Trident?
  • Ned had to marry Lysa Tully instead of Catelyn?
  • Jon Arryn didn't marry Lysa? 
  • Robert didn't marry Cersei?
  • Willem Darry didn't die?
  • Viserys got to meet and marry Arianne Martell?
  • Domeric Bolton didn't seek out Ramsay?
  • Jon Snow was legitimatized by Ned?
  • Bran didn't have his accident and went to King's Landing with his father and sisters?
  • Ned Stark wasn't executed?
  • Sansa and Joffrey actually married?
  • Robert survived his hunting accident?
  • The Greyjoys agreed to ally with the North? 
  • Robb went to the Iron Islands with Theon?
  • Robb didn't break off his betrothal with Roslin Frey?
  • Stannis won the Battle of the Blackwater?
  • Bran wasn't the three-eyed crow?
  • Ygritte didn't die?
  • Sam Tarly didn't get sent to the Night's Watch?
  • Joffrey wasn't poisoned at his wedding?
  • Jon Snow didn't become Lord Commander of the Watch????????????????????
  • Tyrion won his trial by combat through Oberyn????????
  • Daenerys decided to conquer Essos?
  • Daenerys didn't marry Khal Drogo?
  • Aerys and Rhaella weren't forced to marry each other?
  • The Dance of Dragons ended with Rhaenyra winning? 
  • Aegon and his sister-wives failed to conquer Westeros?
  • Maegor didn't become king?
  • Daeron I didn't die in Dorne?
  • Aerys and Rhaella's other children (Shaena, Daeron, Aegon, Jaehaerys, and an unnamed stillborn) survived infancy?
Edited by Kinola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I thought at first that you were just being honest about this being another what if thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Most of these are essential to the story itself.  Either something similar would have to happen or we would have no story.  Or a massively different one. 

My possibilities.   What if ...

Arya is captured by Meryn Trant.

Arya is captured at Harrenhal. 

Sansa escapes with Arya.

Jeyne Poole is dumped on streets of KL and meets Arya.

Sansa isn't prevented from pushing Joffrey off the bridge.

Arya is ransomed by Sandor.

Theon doesn't take Winterfell. 

Ned accepts Renly's offer of a coup.

Catelyn doesn't meet Tyrion at the inn.

Jaime is killed in battle. 

Robb is killed in battle. 

Edited by Nevets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nevets said:

Most of these are essential to the story itself.  Either something similar would have to happen or we would have no story.  Or a massively different one

which is why "what if" discussions are among the most useless endeavours in any fandom. Utter waste of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mithras said:

which is why "what if" discussions are among the most useless endeavours in any fandom. Utter waste of time.

What-ifs can be useful to explore setting, examine aspects of character, or determine importance of events or culpability for actions. 

But, yes, far too often the only answer to such questions is that we would have no story, or at least not a very interesting one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sure is a lot. Anyways:

  • Rhaegar didn't abduct/run away with Lyanna? - The Rebellion doesn't happen, Aerys probably either gets couped by Rhaegar or assassinated by Varys.
  • Rhaegar married Cersei instead of Elia? - Aerys suffers a tragic accident as soon as their first son is born. After that, Rhaegar might still abduct Lyanna, prophecy obsessed lunatic that he is, in which case it's rebellion 2 electric boogaloo, only with Dorne staying out and the Westerlands siding with the Targs, in which case I'm not sure who would win.
  • Rhaella survived childbirth with Daenerys? - Not much at first, but as time moved on, Viserys wouldn't be crushed by the pressures of looking after his sister and would probably come out a nice sane fellow (he does seem to have been a pretty sweet kid). Dany and Drogo doesn't happen, and most likely, they get coopted into the Aegon plan by Varys to give him legitimacy by standing by his side given he can't make Viserys the villain of the story.
  • Aerys didn't kill Rickard and Brandon? - I imagine tense negotiations follow at the end of which it's either still the Rebellion, or Aerys uses the opportunity to disinherit Rhaegar and potentially kill him or send him to the Wall, given his paranoia. Aegon or more likely Viserys becomes heir.
  • Jamie took the throne for himself after killing Aerys? - Pitched battle in KL between Tywin and the rebels, Tywin would be outnumbered and so likely squashed like a bug.
  • Elia and her children didn't die? - I imagine they'd be made wards/hostages, most likely in KL, though possibly in SE or Winterfell. Rhaenys id probs betrothed to Robert's heir.
  • Quellon Greyjoy (Theon's grandpa) survived Robert's Rebellion? - Not much changes other than the fact that Balon's Rebellion happens much later, depending on when Quellon dies.
  • Robert died on the Trident instead of Rhaegar? - Mega cursed ending.
  • Rhaegar and Robert both died on the Trident? - If Aegon survives the Sack, most likely Hoster, Jon and Tywin make up a regency council for him, if not it's most likely Stannis.
  • Ned had to marry Lysa Tully instead of Catelyn? - Significantly less Starks.
  • Jon Arryn didn't marry Lysa? - Lysa would not be completely miserable and as open to be manipulated by LF.
  • Robert didn't marry Cersei? - He'd likely marry a Tyrell.
  • Willem Darry didn't die? - Pretty much the same thing as the Rhaella scenario I imagine.
  • Viserys got to meet and marry Arianne Martell? - Loads of sex presumably.
  • Domeric Bolton didn't seek out Ramsay? - No Sack of Winterfell, but other than that nothing truly changes.
  • Jon Snow was legitimatized by Ned? - No way in hell that happened, but if it did, I imagine Jon stays and fights with Robb and presumbaly dies at the RW.
  • Bran didn't have his accident and went to King's Landing with his father and sisters? - He either dies in the mayhem or becomes another prisoner of the Lannisters. Given they'd have Robb's heir, they'd probably arrange a trade of him and Sansa against Jaime.
  • Ned Stark wasn't executed? - Not much really. He was already potentially dying and if he's at the Wall nothing else would change.
  • Sansa and Joffrey actually married? - No.
  • Robert survived his hunting accident? - He would die from something else along the way.
  • The Greyjoys agreed to ally with the North?  - Tywin is ultrafucked, but with the Fords still likely being a thing (unless Robb develops better communication skills as a result), nothing changes until the end of ACOK. After that though, with Robb being way, way mroe secure, Roose presumably doesn't go traitor, and Robb is able to hold on to the Riverlands for way longer, especially since with the Crag on the coast it likely falls to the Ironborn, not Robb. Presumably Robb manages to outlast Tywin and the Lannister regime, though what would happen once Aegon and then Dany land is anyone's guess.
  • Robb went to the Iron Islands with Theon? - Robb becomes the best hostage Balon could wish for.
  • Robb didn't break off his betrothal with Roslin Frey? - Basically nothing changes, Walder only used the broken betrothal as an excuse.
  • Stannis won the Battle of the Blackwater? - The Lannister cause utterly disintegrates, the Tyrells probably are allowed to bend the knee, Stannis fights and probably defeats Robb in the Riverlands, and it all goes tits up for him when Aegon arrives, since Marge would be available and the Tyrells really don't like Stannis.
  • Bran wasn't the three-eyed crow? - He isn't.
  • Ygritte didn't die? - Jon possibly accepts Stannis's offer.
  • Sam Tarly didn't get sent to the Night's Watch? - Not much honestly, though Randyll doesn't get to make his Dick heir.
  • Joffrey wasn't poisoned at his wedding? - He'd be poisoned later.
  • Jon Snow didn't become Lord Commander of the Watch???????????????????? - Janos would and oh boy isn't that a fun timeline? So fucking glad Jon executed him.
  • Tyrion won his trial by combat through Oberyn???????? - The little incel fucks off to Dorne with Oberyn, Tywin dies from the poison, war wth Dorne promptly commences, but by the time the Lannisters can send their forces to Dorne Aegon would already be invading and joining up with the Dornish, and given Cersei would be in charge, presumably Aegon would win. Basically we reach canon more or less, thought he flip sides are: Myrcella doesn't get mutilated, Dany would be in a way better place without the little shit as an advisor and Jon Conn doesn't get greyscale.
  • Daenerys decided to conquer Essos? - Aegon is King of Westeros, Dany Queen of Essos and everything is right with the world.
  • Daenerys didn't marry Khal Drogo? - Highly unlikely for that not to happen.
  • Aerys and Rhaella weren't forced to marry each other? - The Targs are way, way better off, especially since Rhaegar doesn't exist now, and without the inbreeding fertility problems, Aerys possibly doesn't go insane.
  • The Dance of Dragons ended with Rhaenyra winning? - Depends on what you mean winning, she did kinda win in the end as it was.
  • Aegon and his sister-wives failed to conquer Westeros? - No way that really happened.
  • Maegor didn't become king? - Aegon and Rhaena time baby.
  • Daeron I didn't die in Dorne? - Dorne is crushed and subdued at last.
  • Aerys and Rhaella's other children (Shaena, Daeron, Aegon, Jaehaerys, and an unnamed stillborn) survived infancy? - Aerys probs doesn't go insane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kinola said:

(Sorry, my keyboard has been out of funk lately. I don't know why.)

So with Disney doing a "What if?" series with Marvel, I thought about kickstarting one up with Game of Thrones (I don't think anyone did this on here yet? I checked). You can either come up with your own or try to answer some of the scenarios I listed below.

What would happen if...

  • Rhaegar didn't abduct/run away with Lyanna? 
  • Rhaegar married Cersei instead of Elia?
  • Rhaella survived childbirth with Daenerys? 
  • Aerys didn't kill Rickard and Brandon?
  • Jamie took the throne for himself after killing Aerys?
  • Elia and her children didn't die?
  • Quellon Greyjoy (Theon's grandpa) survived Robert's Rebellion?
  • Robert died on the Trident instead of Rhaegar?
  • Rhaegar and Robert both died on the Trident?
  • Ned had to marry Lysa Tully instead of Catelyn?
  • Jon Arryn didn't marry Lysa? 
  • Robert didn't marry Cersei?
  • Willem Darry didn't die?
  • Viserys got to meet and marry Arianne Martell?
  • Domeric Bolton didn't seek out Ramsay?
  • Jon Snow was legitimatized by Ned?
  • Bran didn't have his accident and went to King's Landing with his father and sisters?
  • Ned Stark wasn't executed?
  • Sansa and Joffrey actually married?
  • Robert survived his hunting accident?
  • The Greyjoys agreed to ally with the North? 
  • Robb went to the Iron Islands with Theon?
  • Robb didn't break off his betrothal with Roslin Frey?
  • Stannis won the Battle of the Blackwater?
  • Bran wasn't the three-eyed crow?
  • Ygritte didn't die?
  • Sam Tarly didn't get sent to the Night's Watch?
  • Joffrey wasn't poisoned at his wedding?
  • Jon Snow didn't become Lord Commander of the Watch????????????????????
  • Tyrion won his trial by combat through Oberyn????????
  • Daenerys decided to conquer Essos?
  • Daenerys didn't marry Khal Drogo?
  • Aerys and Rhaella weren't forced to marry each other?
  • The Dance of Dragons ended with Rhaenyra winning? 
  • Aegon and his sister-wives failed to conquer Westeros?
  • Maegor didn't become king?
  • Daeron I didn't die in Dorne?
  • Aerys and Rhaella's other children (Shaena, Daeron, Aegon, Jaehaerys, and an unnamed stillborn) survived infancy?

One little change can have significant effect. Take your third scenario. Queen Rhaella survive. I am sure she would not allow Princess Daenerys to marry into the Dothraki. Khal Drogo’s death and the manner he died was a nevessary part of hatching the dragons. Khal Drogo is Nissa Nissa. Princess Daenerys is Azor Ahai. Rhaella would have stopped the required chain of events. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What if Winds was already publish?

What if Winds and Dos were already published?

What if once these books are published none of the questions that keep us coming back to fan sites 10 years after the last one are resolved?

Edited by Aejohn the Conqueroo
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...