Best worst job.

Royal teat taster.

King Aerys was paranoid of the possible poisoning of his children. So much so that the mad king presumably had a Royal teat tester. Someone had the job of tasting the nipple and or milk of the nurse maids. Through this action it would supposedly insure the safety of suckling.

My question is, do we know who this person or persons were? Anyone at court come down with mysterious illnesses? Or strange behavior?

Why not just have the maids “wash”? Unless he was concerned over the milk itself?

Final question. Best job? Or worst job?

I have to say worst job ever. The knowledge of how human lactate tastes coupled with the possibility of dying with milk breath is a hard pass for me. Although being surrounded by boobs on my deathbed ain’t bad either. 

Any negative feelings about the taste of breast milk would seem to exist only in the head of the individual.

That said, I would be leery about any job where I'm subject to the whims of the Mad King. 

Regardless attempting to apply logic to his actions is a logical fallacy in of itself. Seven hells we need a new novel if we're exploring the tribulations of the royal food taster.

worst worst job: since aerys had extremely long overgrown fingernails it would've been difficult for him to wipe his butt, so he must've had someone wipe it for him

best worst job: being a bed-warmer slave to someone sexy

Archived