MCU Hullabaloo

JGP

Liked this a lot more than the teaser, though the Kro design really turned me off... unless it's a feint. 

---

And... was reading about audiences losing their shit at the end credits of Shang-Chi but refused to spoil myself.  

Looked better than the first trailer, but that's not saying much. I'm more interested in that film to see the Celestials on the big screen, more than anything else though.

Wasn't this up coming Eternals film banned in China or is that Shang Chi? I know there's a minor controversy surrounding  one of them. Something to do with China hating the director, though others are saying it's because one of the films has a gay couple in it and China still hates gay people for some daft reason. Sorry, I've been reading a lot of conflicting reports and not quite sure which ones are true.

42 minutes ago, sifth said:

I'm more interested in that film to see the Celestials on the big screen, more than anything else though.

I loved the Celestials as a kid. 

As an adult watching that trailer...

"We were instructed not to interfere in any human conflicts unless Deviants were involved.''

"By who?"

...made all the hairs on my neck stand up.

39 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I loved the Celestials as a kid. 

As an adult watching that trailer...

"We were instructed not to interfere in any human conflicts unless Deviants were involved.''

"By who?"

...made all the hairs on my neck stand up.

Okay, as someone who's entire Marvel knowledge was essentially the Spiderman and XMen cartoons in the early 90's;  (With a couple of omnibus collections of XMen comic books.) can you give me a brief surface understanding?

Was Ego a Celestial?

Well, it's been a while and I'm sure others can provide more detail.  The Celestials are a mysterious galactic level race of beings that had quite a lot to do with developments on Earth in the Marvel Universe.  They created the Eternals and the Deviants and they created the X-gene that causes mutants.  They are godlike beings in that way.  They are also massively huge and spend a lot of their time standing around looking menacing.  I do not believe Ego is a Celestial but I could be wrong.  They just sort of embody 'strange-mysterious-powerful-space' vibes.  I can't recall them ever being much bothered excepting the time The Beyonder gave them some trouble.  Now I want to read up on Celestial lore...

19 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Was Ego a Celestial?

Not in the comics, where he's just kind of a sentient planet. He does say he's a celestial in GotG2, but that doesn't really jive with all the other ones we see. Who are enormous armoured humanoids, like the one in this trailer, like the one seen using the power stone in GotG1 and like the one who's head is being mined out in both Guardians films.

Also in the comics Thanos is a deviant, which by their rules here would allow the Eternals to fight him, so they've obviously changed that.

30 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Wait - was that Gemma Chan?
Wasn't she already in Captain Marvel?

Same character in disguise or a re-cast for the same actor within the same universe?

I assume re-cast. Her Kree character was killed in that movie, no?

Apparently it's unclear if Shang Chi will pass Chinese censorship

as to why from Variety in May:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/marvel-shang-chi-eternals-china-release-1234971166/

tldr:

Eternals stuff

Chloé Zhao the Eternals director said in an interview:

“It goes back to when I was a teenager in China, being in a place where there are lies everywhere.”

and:

The second quote was a misprint that found Zhao claiming “the U.S. is now my country,” even though she had actually said “the U.S. is not my country.” Regardless, the incorrect quote went viral and added fuel to the nationalist backlash.

Shang-Chi

Much of the backlash against the film has to do with the character Fu Manchu, a villain “seen through the years as an embodiment of the Yellow Peril stereotype” who happens to be Shang-Chi’s father. The movie aimed to distance itself from the character by reimagining Shang-Chi’s father as Wenwu, or “the Mandarin,” where he’s played by Hong Kong acting icon Tony Leung. However, the change hasn’t been enough to quell backlash.

and most stupidly of all:

Another of the most common complaints will certainly surprise American fans excited about the film as a landmark for Asian representation. Many online commenters have slammed Liu and Awkwafina for not meeting the typical thin-chinned, high-nosed, pale-skinned, double eye-lidded standards of ideal Chinese beauty. In one of the most toxic arguments of all, many say Marvel cast them in lead roles because the studio “discriminates against Chinese people’s appearance.”

1 hour ago, Inkdaub said:

Well, it's been a while and I'm sure others can provide more detail.  The Celestials are a mysterious galactic level race of beings that had quite a lot to do with developments on Earth in the Marvel Universe.  They created the Eternals and the Deviants and they created the X-gene that causes mutants.  They are godlike beings in that way.  They are also massively huge and spend a lot of their time standing around looking menacing.  I do not believe Ego is a Celestial but I could be wrong.  They just sort of embody 'strange-mysterious-powerful-space' vibes.  I can't recall them ever being much bothered excepting the time The Beyonder gave them some trouble.  Now I want to read up on Celestial lore...

They made Ego a Celestial in movies, but in the comics, I don't believe he is one. I believe the Guardians of the Galaxy go to a city inside the skull of a dead Celestial in their first film and the Collector shows one of the Celestials using the power stone to destroy a world, in his little clip show. 

Anyway, with the Celestials being introduced, I can only imagine it's only a matter of time before we get Galactus on the big screen. One would think he'd be their next Thanos level threat.

16 minutes ago, john said:

Wtf was that vibranium table thing? It makes no sense and is only funny if they’re playing the character of Ikaris as a Will Ferrell style moron, for some reason.

I don't know the character but I don't understand your criticism. That scene was typical MCU humor.

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Same character in disguise or a re-cast for the same actor within the same universe?

Chan et al. have been very clear they're two different characters.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I don't know the character but I don't understand your criticism. That scene was typical MCU humor.

I mean if there's anything to complain about in that scene it's why an Eternal got a table from IKEA.

The visual style and direction of Zhao's film, based on the trailer, is strikingly different from what we've seen in the prior generation of MCU films, which all had a kind of samey quality to them. It was appealing.

And yeah, the situation with China looks like the honeymoon that Disney/Marvel had with them may be coming to a close. Which is, frankly, good, and I hope more Hollywood studios stop trying to win big in that market by compromising their films to pass Chinese censorship and demands. They're exerting too much influence.

Archived