MCU Hullabaloo

JGP

I'm sure it's just inconsistent writing. Like he was a little too serious in Infinity War compared to his solo movie and Thor. Though you could chalk that up to the severity of the situation. I mean the last time Wong told him not to do something he did it anyway saved Wong + the world so...

If it is some trickery it's just gonna be another variant of strange, maybe the What If? one. Then at the end we'll see the real strange trapped setting up DS2. But I really doubt it.

Strange could be "screwing" up the spell on purpose as that's what he has seen he needs to do kind of thing lol.  Or since he doesn't have the time stone anymore he's just flying by the seat of his pants now instead of his cloak.

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm sure it's just inconsistent writing. Like he was a little too serious in Infinity War compared to his solo movie and Thor. Though you could chalk that up to the severity of the situation. I mean the last time Wong told him not to do something he did it anyway saved Wong + the world so...

To me it's not about seriousness vs. jokiness. It's that messing with the memory of everyone on earth because Parker's not happy with his current situation seems like a massive overreaction, and more something a villain would do than a hero. And that's even if the spell works exactly as intended, throw in the added risk of something going wrong and it seems absurd for Strange to go along with it. I get why Peter would ask, teenagers are dumb, but Strange should just laugh it off and give some sort of life advice. Which is why my first impression was that something isn't as it seems.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

To me it's not about seriousness vs. jokiness. It's that messing with the memory of everyone on earth because Parker's not happy with his current situation seems like a massive overreaction, and more something a villain would do than a hero. And that's even if the spell works exactly as intended, throw in the added risk of something going wrong and it seems absurd for Strange to go along with it. I get why Peter would ask, teenagers are dumb, but Strange should just laugh it off and give some sort of life advice. Which is why my first impression was that something isn't as it seems.

Could be, or maybe he just feels bad about Peter losing Stark and is an arrogant guy who thinks he can handle something that he shouldn't be messing with. 

I just think the trailer is giving us incomplete information on Strange's motivation for doing the spell.  ETA:  And/or he didn't think it'd fuck things up as much as it did.  At least that's the simplest explanation.

21 minutes ago, DMC said:

I just think the trailer is giving us incomplete information on Strange's motivation for doing the spell.  ETA:  And/or he didn't think it'd fuck things up as much as it did.  At least that's the simplest explanation.

I was thinking that the spell would be very straightforward if there wasn’t a recent multiverse cracking that happened in Loki. Maybe Strange isn’t aware of that yet.

55 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I was thinking that the spell would be very straightforward if there wasn’t a recent multiverse cracking that happened in Loki. Maybe Strange isn’t aware of that yet.

I may be over thinking this but was there a recent multiverse cracking? I thought that happened at the end of time. To say it just happened in 2024 or whatever year the MCU is currently set in seems arbitrary. It seemed like the effects ripple back through all time. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I may be over thinking this but was there a recent multiverse cracking? I thought that happened at the end of time. To say it just happened in 2024 or whatever year the MCU is currently set in seems arbitrary. It seemed like the effects ripple back through all time. 

I agree. I would say the events at the end of Loki make it so that there always was a multiverse. To borrow a saying from another property: there are neither beginnings, nor endings

Seems like this is another universe's Strange, and he's the main villain.  He's playing with Spiderman just because he's the first Avenger to come visit him.

Wong gives the vibe that he's done with this Strange and going off on his own mission.  Does Shang-Chi take place before or after No Way Home?

10 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Wong gives the vibe that he's done with this Strange and going off on his own mission.  Does Shang-Chi take place before or after No Way Home?

Things were much simpler when MCU movies were just happening at roughly the same pace as they were being released in real life.

25 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Seems like this is another universe's Strange, and he's the main villain.  He's playing with Spiderman just because he's the first Avenger to come visit him.

I think No Way Home occurs over a much longer period than Shang-Chi.  Like peter got outed soon after returning from his summer trip, no? It seems like it picks up right after that. But later we see the halloween decorations remind him that Strange exists.

I was thinking I really hope there's a norman osborne in the sacred timeline. It would be an interesting dynamic, for Parker to meet the DeFoe/openly evil version, kill him or send him back to his universe, and then meet respected businessman Norman Osborne (either also played by  Defoe, or not.) and try to keep tabs on him because he knows what he's capable of. 

3 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Are they alone in that room?  Spider-Man knows Murdock doesn't have to act blind.  They are in an interrogation room, though, so they are likely being watched whatever the case.

1. MCU Spidey doesn't know that: he never met Matt Murdock.

2. Matt isn't acting blind. He is blind. What he's doing is pretending he doesn't have radar, enhanced hearing etc. I know that seems like nitpicking but there's a bit there about his presentation as a disabled person that is important.

1 hour ago, Denvek said:

I don't think there's anything off about why Strange would do this. MCU Dr Strange is pretty much the poster child for explaining how a D&D wizard can have high intelligence but low wisdom.

Yeah was gonna say. Nothing we've seen from Strange really says he wouldn't do this- he was arrogant and show-offy in his film, and while he learned self-sacrifice and taking personal responsibility there, nothing we saw there or in later appearances says he's yet learned any lessons about not doing shit just to see if he can/show off.

Also: seems like he's at least for now somewhat stepping into the Tony Stark role in the MCU.

I think he's the villain (and therefore a variant) only because the teaser doesn't hint at any other possible person who could be the movie's big bad who would be taking advantage of the multiverse.  So by process of elimination, as far as the teaser goes.

Archived