MCU Hullabaloo

JGP

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

More importantly, where is Linda Cardellini?!?

Oh, snap. How'd I miss that? I was too busy wondering if they recast the kids.

Looks like it (I'm assuming Ava Russo from Endgame is the daughter of one of the the directors?)

nvm They didn't recast. Cool.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

I hope Matt Fraction and David Aja are getting paid, because wow, there are several shot-for-shot lifts from their Hawkeye series there.

Yeah, though that's a great series with actual good Hawkeye ness, so at least it's a good premise. Looking forward to the tracksuit mafia. 

5 hours ago, mormont said:

I hope Matt Fraction and David Aja are getting paid, because wow, there are several shot-for-shot lifts from their Hawkeye series there.

I think Marvel Entertainment and/or Disney has some kind of one time payment of 5k to creators or something like that [winging memory here, read about it a while ago] which though seeming stingy given returns, isn't bad [I guess] considering it's contracted work on existing Marvel IP(s)

7 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

I think Marvel Entertainment and/or Disney has some kind of one time payment of 5k to creators or something like that [winging memory here, read about it a while ago] which though seeming stingy given returns, isn't bad [I guess] considering it's contracted work on existing Marvel IP(s)

Didn't Jim Starlin make more money from KGBeast appearing as a henchman i Batman v Superman than he did for Thanos appearing in the MCU

5 hours ago, ithanos said:

I hope Jim Starlin and Steve Englehart got something for Shang-Chi, being the co-creators.

Jim Starlin had to complain about the fact that he was paid more by DC for their usage of KGBeast in Dawn of Justice (although a very different character from the original, basically just reusing the character's secret identity) than he was by Marvel for the use of Thanos, Drax, and Gamora before Marvel/Disney went back to the table and renegotiated a deal that he felt was fair. I suspect it covers Shang-Chi and I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to do the same with Englehart knowing it'd be an issue otherwise.

In the case of Hawkeye, though, it's not a question of creators' rights as such (quick quiz - can anyone name the creator of Kate Bishop without Googling?) It's one of those weird 'well they didn't create the character, but they did a definitive take, such a shame it was work-for-hire' situations - not unlike Bucky as the Winter Soldier, though not as radical a reinvention, more of a fleshing out. The textbook example of probably Wolverine, for whom neither Chris Claremont or any of his collaborators (most significantly John Byrne) will never see a penny as they didn't create the character - they just created all the important details you know about him.

That's true. How much should creators for hire be compensated for a story line redeployed in other media? I don't know. The case for Starlin would've been strong, as not only were characters he created used in the MCU, but also his key story line around Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet. Did Claremont & Byrne not get any recognition for The Days of Future Past story in the X-Men movie?

Also, I couldn't name the creator of Kate Bishop without Googling - but I could by DuckDuckGo!

On 9/14/2021 at 7:04 AM, mormont said:

In the case of Hawkeye, though, it's not a question of creators' rights as such (quick quiz - can anyone name the creator of Kate Bishop without Googling?) It's one of those weird 'well they didn't create the character, but they did a definitive take, such a shame it was work-for-hire' situations - not unlike Bucky as the Winter Soldier, though not as radical a reinvention, more of a fleshing out. The textbook example of probably Wolverine, for whom neither Chris Claremont or any of his collaborators (most significantly John Byrne) will never see a penny as they didn't create the character - they just created all the important details you know about him.

Jim Chueng is half of Kate Bishop's creators.  I'm blanking on the writer. Young Avengers.

I'm not really sure how to spoiler this effectively. So I'm just gonna put it in the box with no label as what it's a spoiler for.

Venom is in the MCU, apparently! The new movie ends with him watching Far From Home's version of JJJ outing Parker as spider-man.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I'm not really sure how to spoiler this effectively. So I'm just gonna put it in the box with no label as what it's a spoiler for.

Reveal hidden contents

Venom is in the MCU, apparently! The new movie ends with him watching Far From Home's version of JJJ outing Parker as spider-man.

Now that is unexpected.

Spoiler

The dark tone of Venom would be weird to cross over to the young Tom Holland version of Peter Parker for me. Also, I would have wanted Spiderman vs Carnage at some point so I wonder if Carnage survives this movie so they can re-use him later.

Edit: Makes me also wonder what the Morbius tie-in will be. I have to assume there'll be one in that movie now as well.

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

Source?

Spoiler

I’m not sure if you mean Venom 2 or NWH that ends like that … my understanding is that Sony would love to have him in the MCU but Feige will never acknowledge that. So NWH puts Peter in the ‘wrong’ universe, with a Venom and a Morbius but also an Aunt May and a Vulture. But if you were an MCU purist you could still claim that Peter vanished and we don’t know where he is, and that the Sony stuff isn’t canon. 

So basically, the Sony-verse claims to be part of the MCU multiverse but the MCU never confirms or denies that. That’s my guess.

6 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Source?

Hide contents

I’m not sure if you mean Venom 2 or NWH that ends like that … my understanding is that Sony would love to have him in the MCU but Feige will never acknowledge that. So NWH puts Peter in the ‘wrong’ universe, with a Venom and a Morbius but also an Aunt May and a Vulture. But if you were an MCU purist you could still claim that Peter vanished and we don’t know where he is, and that the Sony stuff isn’t canon. 

So basically, the Sony-verse claims to be part of the MCU multiverse but the MCU never confirms or denies that. That’s my guess.

I mean Venom 2 supposedly ends with Brock and Venom watching a TV that shows the "peter parker is spider man" story from Far From Home. Here's

the supposed audio of the scene. A bunch of people who saw the premier have posted about it. The scene was not present when the movie was screened for critics though. 

These same people claim the movie made no mention of the blip, which is odd. Some have even suggested that something weird happens before spider-man pops up on TV and that it's possible Brock/Venom shifted universes, somehow:

yes, the end credit shows Eddie and Venom in a house on the beach having gone into hiding after defeating Carnage. Venom says he can show Eddie 1 second of what him and his kind have been through and does. Suddenly everything changes and a TV is on. It shows Tom Holland's spidey and Venom says 'I hate that guy' and licking the screen aggressively - cut to black. I guess Venom is officially in MCU and a film with him/spidey is next. Don't waste a click.

I'm not quite sure how to describe it that detail. Eddie starts to look visibly uncomfortable and something happens (I'm not sure if the implication is he's now somewhere else or what. But a person comes out of the bathroom in the hotel room he's in and asked what he's doing in his room which implied to me he was teleported somewhere different to before.

I think it was a beach house in both cases though. It is possible they were always hiding in someone else's room and that the 'teleport' was actually just the impact of what venom did to Eddie by showing what they'd seen

On how he shows him one second, it is almost as if he allows Eddie to see into his mind or something like that?

my friend thinks he actually got shifted into the MCU time line in that's scene due to the multiverse being opened up in loki. Does that make sense?

The scene on the TV is from far from home according to him (again, any mistakes are my ignorance not anything else lol)

It is an aggressive lick like a 'I'll get you' type thing. If you read what I cross quoted it seems like it is actually multiverse related what created the change.

Follow up; friend confirmed the lick did happen but didn't think he necessarily knew who spidey was (but couldn't think of an explanation for him just licking the screen like that)

What about the line "I hate that guy?" He can't confirm on this. The challenge of Venom not being the easiest to understand all the time, hopefully someone else will confirm exactly what he said on twitter/reddit

Finally saw Black Widow, oof that was not good. Maybe the worst one? 

I think the high point was the opening. I enjoyed seeing Alexi with the wig and glasses that were basically one of Phillip's disguises from The Americans. 

Ross is the secretary of state at this point, no? Why is he leading tactical team? 

The whole "fake out betrayal" was dumb, and their switching places seemed pointless. It makes no sense that she wouldn't sever her nerve at the farm when Melina told her about the "pheromone lock" (which also obviously makes no sense.) I hate when movies do stupid twists like that just for the sake of fooling the audience and not to advance the plot. Revealing the SHIELD lady on the tour in Winter Soldier was Natasha was a good "oh shit" moment. This was just.... nothing.

And what was that point of them leaving her to face ross at the end if they were just gonna cut away and have us assume she escaped somehow? Why didn't she just take a ride with the others? 

Also if I had mind control tech so effective it could convince people not to breathe, I wouldn't use it to create an army of assassins. Why wasn't he controlling world leaders? 

It bothers me that they can't keep their continuity straight. "You and I remember Budapest very differently" indeed! apparently Natasha is insane and thinks fending off an alien invasion is similar to blowing up a little girl to kill her father. They could have just ignored "Budapest" and set that sequence anywhere. I get that they wanted to answer that minor mystery, but they did it in the worst possible way.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

I think the high point was the opening. I enjoyed seeing Alexi with the wig and glasses that were basically one of Phillip's disguises from The Americans. 

It bothers me that they can't keep their continuity straight. "You and I remember Budapest very differently" indeed! apparently Natasha is insane and thinks fending off an alien invasion is similar to blowing up a little girl to kill her father. They could have just ignored "Budapest" and set that sequence anywhere. I get that they wanted to answer that minor mystery, but they did it in the worst possible way.

If Stan Beeman had showed up in the first scene chasing after them it wouldn't have seemed out of place.

Natasha does also mention that after the building blew up they had to fight their way past Hungarian special forces which might be closer to the Avengers comparison, although it's still a weird thing to be flippantly reminiscing about.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ross is the secretary of state at this point, no? Why is he leading tactical team? 

The whole "fake out betrayal" was dumb, and their switching places seemed pointless. It makes no sense that she wouldn't sever her nerve at the farm when Melina told her about the "pheromone lock" (which also obviously makes no sense.) I hate when movies do stupid twists like that just for the sake of fooling the audience and not to advance the plot. Revealing the SHIELD lady on the tour in Winter Soldier was Natasha was a good "oh shit" moment. This was just.... nothing.

And what was that point of them leaving her to face ross at the end if they were just gonna cut away and have us assume she escaped somehow? Why didn't she just take a ride with the others? 

Also if I had mind control tech so effective it could convince people not to breathe, I wouldn't use it to create an army of assassins. Why wasn't he controlling world leaders? 

I agree, I enjoyed the opening as well and even a little of the stuff in the present. I'd say after the fight on the bridge is where the movie fell apart for me. Some of the CGI just looked beyond fake in this one and they had nearly two years to work on it, after it's intended release date.

Archived