MCU Hullabaloo

JGP

I absolutely loved Shang Chi. I have no prior knowledge of Shang Chi in the comics so I had no preconceptions for how it "should" be, which means my opinion carries no weight among true Marvel fans. But I don't care. It was a brilliant, fantastical Kung Fu movie that stands on it's own in that genre without needing a MCU crutch.

I suppose some people might be annoyed with 

Spoiler

Trevor Slattery showing up

but I loved it.

I grew up "reading Marvel" and by that I mean I read most X-Men titles (80's - 90's), some Spiderman, Daredevil, etc. I never got into the Avengers side too much. Only when they crossed over into the Mutant side of things. So I never heard of Shang Chi prior to him being announced as an upcoming MCU film. Same with Guardians. I was able to go into both with no preconceived ideas or attachments. Enjoyed both.

And I also loved the cameo, Anti-Targ. Way more fun than I expected.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/scarlett-johansson-disney-settle-black-widow-lawsuit-1235022598/

“I am happy to have resolved our differences with Disney,” Johansson said in a statement. “I’m incredibly proud of the work we’ve done together over the years and have greatly enjoyed my creative relationship with the team. I look forward to continuing our collaboration in years to come.”

Cool, I hope this means we can get Scarlet voicing Natasha in future What If? episodes (no shade on Lake Bell who does a stellar job).

9 hours ago, ithanos said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/scarlett-johansson-disney-settle-black-widow-lawsuit-1235022598/

Cool, I hope this means we can get Scarlet voicing Natasha in future What If? episodes (no shade on Lake Bell who does a stellar job).

I didn't think that was the reason that ScarJo was not doing it; I thought she just cost too much money and wasn't particularly interested. Same with RDJ and others. 

1 hour ago, Kaligator said:

I didn't think that was the reason that ScarJo was not doing it; I thought she just cost too much money and wasn't particularly interested. Same with RDJ and others. 

I'm sure it's partly that, but I assume also scheduling, particularly when you consider some of the names they did get.

You guys do know these episodes were recorded well over a year ago. The fact that Chadwick Boseman was still alive at the time is proof of that, to say the least. This lawsuit is something only about 2 or 3 months old.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

You guys do know these episodes were recorded well over a year ago. The fact that Chadwick Boseman was still alive at the time is proof of that, to say the least. This lawsuit is something only about 2 or 3 months old.

Yeah we know. Black Widow was originally slated for release in May 2020 so timing could've worked, but we're not privy to scheduling so its just speculation.

6 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Seems to be mainly just rumour for now.  I can't trace it back to anything substantial.

Ah well. I'll catalogue it with "vague dreams and hopes" between Laika Studios adapts Pratchett and relative gives me new mandolin for Christmas instead of pyjamas; shelf-mark: "plans for the future". 

Venom 2 spoilers...

Spoiler

From what we've seen so far, it's seeming like Strange's spell in No Way Home backfires and he ends up bringing all of the villains who know Spider-Man's true identity into the MCU.  Assuming that Venom is a hive mind that exists throughout the multi-verse, as is implied in Venom 2, that would include Venom, as another version of him tangled with Spidey in Raimi's third movie.

Either way, it certainly appears that Venom has entered the MCU, and will potentially appear in No Way Home.  Perfect way for him to finally get the spider logo on his chest too.

This also opens up some potential future big events.  We could see things like Maximum Carnage or the Red Goblin.

So I watched Black Widow at the weekend, finally. and it was... very middle of the road, for a Marvel film. Pretty much average, not The Dark World but not a film I anticipate rewatching either. I did agree with the comment about Budapest above, but also - I'd always thought the reason Nat sacrifices herself for Clint in Endgame was that he had a family. But (and this isn't really a spoiler because it's the premise of the film) if Nat has a sort-of adopted family that she reunites with before Endgame, then I guess she does it because... her family don't matter as much as Clint's? Help me out here. That can't be what Marvel intended?

Archived