US Politics: Biden vs. Ron DeCardassian in the Delta quadrant

Ormond

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

You seem to understand as little about real human beings as those who glibly proclaim that in the middle ages parents didn't grieve the many losses of their infants and little children because so many of them died before age three.  That is the fallacy.

No. People grieve but people continue. They accept death as part of life, no matter how hard or difficult. One might call this attitude as stoicism.  And I find it strange that you attack my ability for empathy over an over 80 year old, very intelligent and politically extremely aware woman who knew the stakes and who should have secured her succession in time. 

The more I think about your sentence above the more insulting it is. And it shows your upbringing in a relatively secure, relatively wealthy Western environment. My given examples (I could have used my own grandmothers or grandfathers instead) had just the objective to show you that until very recently even in the rich West, everyone had to accept death as a constant companion of life as they didn’t have the luxury to deny their own mortality. Life and Death would remind them quite often. Of course they grieved but they had to go on as they had responsibilities and others depended upon them. It’s only very recently that some humans (those who have a comfortable life in the West) can life in denial of their own mortality, it’s a luxury. 

Hell, just read or listen to Interviews from F1 drivers of the 50s to 80s! Even still early 90s (Alain Prost etc).They KNEW that out of a field of 20 to 24 drivers, 2 to 3 of them will die or face life-changing injury each season! That was just the reality of their occupation. They were aware of those odds and still continued. 

I will leave it at that because it’s way OT anyway. 

You are really comparing FI drivers, people who race for fame and money, to parents who lost most of their children before age 3, as admirable stoicism? F1 drivers who aren't contributing ANYTHING at all to the general welfare of anything?  Which somehow is an argument about why RBG should have resigned? What the eff did an F1 race driver ever do for women? Or children? Or anything?  What's this damned stoicism bs you're blathering? WTFF?  

In the meantime the strongest hurricane to ever hit the US since the 1850's is barreling down upon shyetloads of friends and family -- and you're blathering on and on and on about this as something the end of the USA, which you also insist  -- as western secure etc. - doesn't matter?

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You are really comparing FI drivers, people who race for fame and money, to parents who lost most of their children before age 3, as admirable stoicism? F1 drivers who aren't contributing ANYTHING at all to the general welfare of anything?  WTFF?  

You just don’t get it. Let’s leave it at that. 

Just now, Zorral said:

You are probably among those on this board and elsewhere who advocating letting covid rip because it was old people who would die and nobody needs them anyway coz you know they are going to die anyway.

Guess what letting 'er rip is doing.

You really don't get anything at all.

What the fuck is wrong with you and your stupid accusations? Let’s leave it. Put me on ignore and bye. 

On 8/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, Fez said:

More of a political footnote than anything else, but Sirhan Sirhan, who's been incarcerated since 1968 for assassinating RFK Jr. just got his parole finally approved on his 16th attempt. It was apparently not surprising to people paying attention (I certainly hadn't been), since one of RFK's sons spoke in favor of the parole and the prosecutors didn't even attend the hearing to oppose.

So this has appropriately devolved into a good old fashioned Boston Irish Catholic family throwdown - Six of RFK's children 'devastated' by vote to release assassin:

Six of Robert F. Kennedy’s 11 children expressed outrage and vowed “to challenge every step of the way” the California parole board’s vote to release their father’s assassin, Sirhan Sirhan, from prison.

“We are devastated that the man who murdered our father has been recommended for parole,” they wrote in a statement issued Friday. “He took our father from our family and he took him from America. … We are in disbelief that this man would be recommended for release.”

The statement was signed by former Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy II, Christopher G. Kennedy (a former Illinois gubernatorial candidate), Courtney Kennedy, Kerry Kennedy, Maxwell T. Kennedy and Rory Kennedy.

Their statement follows news that Douglas Kennedy, a toddler when his father was gunned down in California in 1968, told a two-person board panel that he was moved to tears by Sirhan’s remorse.

So, sounds like it's Doug Kennedy against his siblings.  RFK Jr. also is on Sirhan's side, but that isn't anything new - he's thought it was a conspiracy for awhile now, and RFK Jr. is also generally insane.

Anyway, can't help but agree with advocating for the parolee.  Who else has been in prison for over 50 years for murdering one person?  Seems cruel and unusual based on the fame and power of his victim.

ETA:  In case you're wondering and didn't read the link, the only child of RFK that hasn't taken a public position on this is his oldest - Kathleen Kennedy Townsend.  His widow, Ethel, also hasn't said anything, but she is 93.  The other two RFK children that haven't publicized their position are dead, if you're wondering how that makes 11.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

No, you're insanely overreacting to a single possibility and acting as if all of democracy is at stake whether or not one old woman resigns from the Senate or not.

No, I’m awknowlinging a possibility that is not as unlikely as you would like to pretend.

there’s a strong possibility Newsom will lose, he’s leading the polls by 4 points.

If/when that happens Feinstein refusing to step down would be risking democracy as a Republican governor would not replace her with a democrat

So if she dies before Breyer retires or dies the democrats cannot replace a SC Justice.

8 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Sure critcise. She did a lot of good and she worked at the important job that she loved. 

Do you think Roe V Wade would be as in danger as it is right now if Ginsburg retired? Yes or no.

8 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

If/when that happens Feinstein refusing to step down would be risking democracy as a Republican governor would not replace her with a democrat

So if she dies before Breyer retires or dies the democrats cannot replace a SC Justice.

Asking a Senator that has served for 30 years and was elected to her current term to resign just because she might die in the next 16 months is offensive.  Full stop. 

If you can't see that there's nothing else to talk about, it's nothing like RBG nor Breyer's decision - and thus has nothing to do with her not being a "team player."  Moreover, was Scalia not a "team player" because he died during Obama's presidency.  Was Rehnquist for risking the 2006 midterms?  Your standards are absurd.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

No, I’m awknowlinging a possibility that is not as unlikely as you would like to pretend.

Also, I think it's time for you to "awknowledge" this is a very remote possibility.  Whether Newsom is recalled or not is about a 50/50 proposition.  Then there's the added uncertainty if Elder, instead of another Dem, is elected.  Then there's the HUGE unlikelihood that Dianne Feinstein dies in the next 16 months.  And finally, there's the uncertainty of whether Breyer even retires during that timeframe.  I hope he does, but there's no guarantees.

Again, if you know anything about probability, ALL of that happening is very unlikely.  And literally all of it has to happen for your doomsday scenario to transpire.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Whether Newsom is recalled or not is about a 50/50 proposition. 

Okay we’ve acknowledged the chances of Newsom losing is great. It’s More 56/46 propositions he wins. Which-still  isn’t great.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Asking a Senator that has served for 30 years and was elected to her current term to resign just because she might die in the next 16 months is offensive. 

Yes also unfair.

But necessary should Newsom lose. Feinstein feeling would be hurt.

But that’s ultimately the damage to one individual’s self-worth would be a fair trade to lessening the risk of dems not being able to replace Breyer before the midterms should the time come.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

If you can't see that there's nothing else to talk about, it's nothing like RBG nor Breyer's decision -

Yes it is, it’s extremely old liberal overestimating their own importance to something much bigger than themselves .

Liberals aren’t badgering Sotomeyer to retire as much Breyer because people know really old people tend to die earlier than younger people.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Then there's the added uncertainty if Elder, instead of another Dem, is elected.

Elder is leading the polls for candidates to replace Newsom by 19 points.

There is a chance a Dem gets in office to replace Newsom. It is not high.

If you disagree I would refer you back 538 list polls you cited showing Elder’s lead.

If you disagree and think that one poll showing a registered democrat defeating Elder triumphs over the multiple ones that show Elder crushing the competition over everyone else I don’t know what to say, because I know, you know silly that is.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Then there's the HUGE unlikelihood that Dianne Feinstein dies in the next 16 months.

She’s 88. it doesn’t take much for 88 year old’s health to quickly deteriorate and you would not be surprised if next week this 88 year old woman got pneumonia and died.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

And finally, there's the uncertainty of whether Breyer even retires during that timeframe.  I

I think he’d probably factor in if dems could replace him in his decision.

They can’t do that if they don’t have a majority. Feinstein dying under a Republican governor would end that majority.

I'm not sure what is more unreadable - the diatribes on trailblazing women endangering democracy due to their alleged selfishness and pondering their imminent demise or the Ty spats with DMC. C'mon folks.

12 minutes ago, Week said:

the diatribes on trailblazing women endangering democracy d

Do you think roe v Wade would be as in danger as it is if Ginsburg retired in 2013 before republicans took control of the senate? I’m guessing no and that it’d been wise to have retired.

Its wrong to frame this conversation as down to the personal preferences of some old people that only should matter to them.

If Breyer doesn’t retire before republicans take power do you think it’d be wrong for any liberal to be enraged at the man?

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Do you think roe v Wade would be as in danger as it is if Ginsburg retired in 2013 before republicans took control of the senate? I’m guessing no and that it’d been wise to have retired.

Its wrong to frame this conversation as down to the personal preferences of some old people that only should matter to them.

If Breyer doesn’t retire before republicans take power do you think it’d be wrong for any liberal to be enraged at the man?

Do I think that RBG made a significant difference in her life that to define her end solely based on a decision that should have been protected by our government 100 times over is extremely fucked up? Yes.

It's wrong to frame a few individuals solely for our collective ongoing failures. Tactically, yes, at this moment, Breyers' retirement would be preferable. The framing of their epic moral and ethical failure due to decisions made at the end of a long life is fucked up. Move on.

8 minutes ago, Week said:

Do I think that RBG made a significant difference in her life that to define her end solely based on a decision that should have been protected by our government 100 times over is extremely fucked up?

That’s a nice question to ask and answer for yourself.

9 minutes ago, Week said:

It's wrong to frame a few individuals solely for our collective ongoing failures.

Sure, but that doesn’t absolve individuals for their responsibility for their contributions to a bad outcome.

12 minutes ago, Week said:

Tactically, yes, at this moment, Breyers' retirement would be preferable. The framing of their epic moral and ethical failure due to decisions made at the end of a long life is fucked up. Move on.

Breyer would not be an evil if he didn’t retire under a democratic president and congress. His decision would be really stupid and worthy criticism. No one is forcing him to stay on he could retire comfortably and be respected for his contributions over the decades.

But let’s not pretend a decision to keep on despite the small time frame Democrats have to replace him isn’t stupid.

Feinstein should have resigned after her appalling behavior after the Amy Coney Barrett hearings. If you can't do the job it's time to hang it up. To me it's her obvious mental decline that's the bigger issue. It would be nice if she could see the political realities and timelines and resign early but I doubt it. With her decayed mind she probably will resign for the good of the country after a Republican is sworn in.

In the end it doesn't matter. If you are worried about Roe v. Wade being impacted by Feinstein don't. That ruling is getting sliced and diced with or without Feinstein and Breyer.

8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm stuck on Ethel had ELEVEN frikn children!

And I have just been amazed by younger people not knowing a bit of trivia almost everyone in my generation would be familiar with. :)

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

And I have just been amazed by younger people not knowing a bit of trivia almost everyone in my generation would be familiar with. :)

My sister, who works at a University, attended a conference a while back where the keynote speaker was one of the Kennedy's (female). She thought it was real cool sent me a picture of her, but for the life of me I couldn't parcel out which of that huge clan it was. It may have been Carolyn....  But then again maybe Kerry?

Big Catholic family.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

I would have nailed this one if we were playing Jeopardy! and the the category was "Kennedy's like to fuck for (insert points)." 

Now get off my lawn you whippersnapper! :P

3 hours ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Feinstein should have resigned after her appalling behavior after the Amy Coney Barrett hearings. If you can't do the job it's time to hang it up. To me it's her obvious mental decline that's the bigger issue.

This can't be overlooked. I love listening in to committee hearings, even if the subject isn't that interesting because there's the game within the game. It must be said flatly that Feinstein lost her fastball years ago. Her time management is dreadful, she doesn't ask important questions most of the time and TBH, she can't hear. She should have retired a long time ago because she is no longer capable of doing the job. 

4 hours ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

In the end it doesn't matter. If you are worried about Roe v. Wade being impacted by Feinstein don't. That ruling is getting sliced and diced with or without Feinstein and Breyer.

I’m more thinking long-term to have the spot secured for if/when a conservative kicks the bucket whilst democrats are in charge we could possibly repair some of the damage this Supreme Court is doing.

Archived