Why does Quaithe speak in riddles?

Falcon2909

• 4 weeks later...

Quaithe speaks in riddles for the same reason why GRRM wrote a lot of ASOIAF's elements in the same form. This is that reason:

The Purpose of Parables

10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”

11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the [a]mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:

‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I [b]should heal them.’

16 But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear; 17 for assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

Some parts of ASOIAF are based on the Bible, thus GRRM wrote them in a form of riddles / parables. Those readers who are capable of understanding GRRM's writing will understand him, and those who aren't - won't.

Quaithe spoke for Xaro and Pyat, both who are still a threat to Dany by ADWD and a threat Dany brushed off three times.

Can't trust Quaithe. I think all she wants is for Dany's dragons to grow enough before taking one, that's why she tries to send her all over the place. It probably ties in to how the dragons will grow more if they are active or some such. She is just taking a different approach than her two partners.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:35 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

Prophecies are supposed to be vague. It would be boring and too easy if they just  came out and said it. 

It'd actually be useful. Jorah spied on you at first but is ok now, Quentyn is going to try to steal your dragon don't worry they have it, here's the identity of the Harpy. 

The only reason I can think that Quaithe is speaking in riddles is to deliberately mislead Dany into distrusting everyone. There's enough nuggets of truth there to get her attention but nothing there she can actually use, but she can actually use but casts suspicion on virtually everyone around her.

Just now, Lord Lannister said:

It'd actually be useful. Jorah spied on you at first but is ok now, Quentyn is going to try to steal your dragon don't worry they have it, here's the identity of the Harpy. 

Boring and too easy in terms of storytelling. How many prophecies have you seen in literature that come right out and say what they mean? 

1 minute ago, Lord Lannister said:

The only reason I can think that Quaithe is speaking in riddles is to deliberately mislead Dany into distrusting everyone. There's enough nuggets of truth there to get her attention but nothing there she can actually use, but she can actually use but casts suspicion on virtually everyone around her.

But what's Quaithe's motives for doing such? What does she want?

Just now, Jaenara Belarys said:

Boring and too easy in terms of storytelling. How many prophecies have you seen in literature that come right out and say what they mean? 

I'm just saying if I could see the future, and could communicate it to someone... I'd speak in clear, precise terms. 

If she had an agenda against Dany, making her suspicious of virtually everyone around her who might help her would be a great way to cripple her.

1 minute ago, Lord Lannister said:

If she had an agenda against Dany, making her suspicious of virtually everyone around her who might help her would be a great way to cripple her.

Maybe she serves the warlocks? She was in  Qarth. And they have a grudge against Dany. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I'm just saying if I could see the future, and could communicate it to someone... I'd speak in clear, precise terms. 

I would too, but this is a book :) 

Just now, Jaenara Belarys said:

Maybe she serves the warlocks? She was in  Qarth. And they have a grudge against Dany. 

I would too, but this is a book :) 

That's possible. She's mentioned to be a Shadowbinder like Melisandre and she definitely seems to have some arcane abilities. Melisandre speaks more... confidently and precisely about her visions even when things are vague to her. It is just a book, but I do like it when the characters act in a manner that is consistent with their interests. Being vague and cryptic just to be mysterious to the reader is kind of lame. So it would only make since for Quaithe to do this if she either has no idea what she's talking about really, or she's deliberately trying to manipulate Daenerys for ill purposes.

Makes sense. Speaking of conspiracies against Dany, I read a theory that the little girl Drogon killed was actually killed by the Sons of the Harpy. It's a win-win for them. Either Dany locks up her dragons, the beasts that won her army or she doesn't and they make it sound like she doesn't care about the citizens of Meereen. 

1 hour ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Makes sense. Speaking of conspiracies against Dany, I read a theory that the little girl Drogon killed was actually killed by the Sons of the Harpy. It's a win-win for them. Either Dany locks up her dragons, the beasts that won her army or she doesn't and they make it sound like she doesn't care about the citizens of Meereen. 

Sure, that's plausible, but there's no textual evidence for it. In fact, it is just as, if not more likely, that Drogon behaved like any other wild dragon would and ate the child because dragons eat meat and don't distinguish humans from lambs. 

5 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

She wants to control Dany, to control the dragons, unlike Xaro and Pyat.

On 10/10/2021 at 6:50 PM, Egged said:

She wants to control Dany, to control the dragons, unlike Xaro and Pyat.

Well, she's certainly being helpful in that regard! 

On 10/10/2021 at 6:31 PM, Nathan Stark said:

Sure, that's plausible, but there's no textual evidence for it. In fact, it is just as, if not more likely, that Drogon behaved like any other wild dragon would and ate the child because dragons eat meat and don't distinguish humans from lambs. 

Probably true, it's just a theory. 

Archived