Heresy 238 The Song of Sansa the Snow Queen

Black Crow

14 minutes ago, asongofheresy said:

There is a House Sloane (sloe?) in Reach with a banner of half indigo and half yellow, indigo side has white stars, and yellow side has a red sun, isn't the imagery so Dornish? Immediately brings the mind Dayne and Martells, interestingly both families can be described with sloe eyes.

A small addition, I am currently interested in learning more about Baelor and Naerys, and their relationship through TWOIAF, I believe there can be echoes of Rhaegar, Elia, and Lyanna situation in that time, a long with hints about their children, though I am not sure how true this hunch is. 

A nod to William Sloane, a classic sci-fi/horror writer?

Something to ponder, Long means dragon in Chinese, while Leng means cold, and in English we have long and leng(th), and even leng means long, or to linger if Google doesn't lie to me, so we have Long Night = Dragon Night, Isle of Leng = Isle of Cold? 

Leng seem to have a city named Turrani, which is of course similar to name of Durran Godsgrief, duran/turan means stable in Turkish while the suffix Don of Durran's name means hail (precipitation one) so stable hail, a nod to long night 

44 minutes ago, asongofheresy said:

Something to ponder, Long means dragon in Chinese, while Leng means cold, and in English we have long and leng(th), and even leng means long, or to linger if Google doesn't lie to me, so we have Long Night = Dragon Night, Isle of Leng = Isle of Cold? 

Leng seem to have a city named Turrani, which is of course similar to name of Durran Godsgrief, duran/turan means stable in Turkish while the suffix Don of Durran's name means hail (precipitation one) so stable hail, a nod to long night 

Leng is a Lovecraftian location. A quote from the Whisperer in Darkness:

. . . is the Lord of the Woods, even to . . . and the gifts of the men of Leng . . . so from the wells of night to the gulfs of space, and from the gulfs of space to the wells of night, ever the praises of Great Cthulhu, of Tsathoggua, and of Him Who is not to be Named. Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Goat with a Thousand Young!

18 minutes ago, asongofheresy said:

Ah, this was truly an inspiration for GRRM, maybe I should start reading stories of Lovecraft to understand the references better. 

A lot of the far away locations have names borrowed from Lovecraft, Howards and others: Ib, Sarnath, Leng, Carcosa, K'Dath (Kadath) and maybe others

11 minutes ago, asongofheresy said:

Could the suffix os be a clue about which places/characters have Andal roots? Pentos, Norvos, Braavos, Jogos Nhai? What about Foss the Archer then, was he Andal instead of being a child of Garth? 

Nah, double SS makes it a hard ending, singe S commonly makes a soft ending as in Pentose

2 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Nah, double SS makes it a hard ending, singe S commonly makes a soft ending as in Pentose

Thank you for pointing out the difference, do you think names like Hosteen and Oswell, maybe even Davos/Janos will be better examples? 

Another thing I noticed, but I am sure were pointed out and discussed, Lancelot and Elaine are parents of Sir Gallahad, could Lann the Clever and Ellyn/Elenei be parents of Ser Galladon? Is the suffix don refers to dawn and not donmak/to freeze like I first thought (I have to admit my native language effects my understanding of wordplay) 

4 hours ago, asongofheresy said:

Thank you for pointing out the difference, do you think names like Hosteen and Oswell, maybe even Davos/Janos will be better examples? 

Another thing I noticed, but I am sure were pointed out and discussed, Lancelot and Elaine are parents of Sir Gallahad, could Lann the Clever and Ellyn/Elenei be parents of Ser Galladon? Is the suffix don refers to dawn and not donmak/to freeze like I first thought (I have to admit my native language effects my understanding of wordplay) 

And why was Davos named after a city in Switzerland?

15 hours ago, alienarea said:

And why was Davos named after a city in Switzerland?

I don't know but I think Switzerland has a place called Uri too, a reddit user made a post about that, but what's the significance? Batman is a city in Turkey after all. 

A question, is there a connection between Unsullied Goddess and Tormund, I know it sounds ridiculous but Unsullied Goddess is called Mother of Hosts, and Tormund is Father of Hosts, Unsullied sacrifice their manhood to her, Tormund claim to lose half of his manhood, if there is a link, who are the hosts, why do they have a Mother/Father figure? 

So today I have learned a lem is someone who repeats what others say instead of having original thoughts, this reminds me Sansa in KL, repeating flattery to stay alive, and being called a bird by Sandor, Sansa of course loves lemoncakes. Can we tie it to lemon tree from Daenerys' childhood, is she just repeating words of Viserys, "Darry", etc that she is a Targaryen princess? Lem also means soiled in Vietnamese, Septa Lemore is a soiled Septa, is Lem Lemoncloak a soiled knight like Arys then, are they also repeating the false identity/roles given to them? 

An interesting take by @EggBlue on another thread:

there is one more thing to keep in mind and that's -as it seems- these magical abilities can be enhanced by being near magical elements/places and/or being aware of them. for instance , Dany's dreams seem to be more whenever she holds an egg or Bran whose abilities improve when he is with his wolf or near the weirwood or after he gains some knowledge  into what he'll be able to do after meeting Reeds.

Perhaps we can think of the hinges of the world as magical hinges where magic can be accessed or can enhance magical abilities.

The example being discussed was Jon's beserker dream:

Dragons again. For a moment Jon could almost see them too, coiling in the night, their dark wings outlined against a sea of flame.

- Jon VIII, ADWD

This calls to mind Jon's Crypt dream when he senses Theon's Dream of the Feast of the Dead and Jaimie's dream where Jon senses a light going out.   It's as though the veil is almost pierced. 

I'd add Arya into the mix:  

A Clash of Kings - Arya X

As Arya crossed the yard to the bathhouse, she spied a raven circling down toward the rookery, and wondered where it had come from and what message it carried. Might be it's from Robb, come to say it wasn't true about Bran and Rickon. She chewed on her lip, hoping. If I had wings I could fly back to Winterfell and see for myself. And if it was true, I'd just fly away, fly up past the moon and the shining stars, and see all the things in Old Nan's stories, dragons and sea monsters and the Titan of Braavos, and maybe I wouldn't ever fly back unless I wanted to.

Not exactly a dream echo of Bran's coma dream; but surprising given where the crow takes Bran.  It makes me wonder if Arya is Bran's dark angel or if Bran will see the 3EC again.

11 hours ago, LynnS said:

An interesting take by @EggBlue on another thread:

Perhaps we can think of the hinges of the world as magical hinges where magic can be accessed or can enhance magical abilities.

The example being discussed was Jon's beserker dream:

This calls to mind Jon's Crypt dream when he senses Theon's Dream of the Feast of the Dead and Jaimie's dream where Jon senses a light going out.   It's as though the veil is almost pierced. 

I'd add Arya into the mix:  

Not exactly a dream echo of Bran's coma dream; but surprising given where the crow takes Bran.  It makes me wonder if Arya is Bran's dark angel or if Bran will see the 3EC again.

"Vortex" was the term that first popped into my mind... :)

Archived