Covid-19 #37: Mississippi Worming

Fragile Bird

O gosh, the subject title is ... well ... alas ... so appropos. :rofl:  The things Those jerkwaddies are willing to do to Themselves instead of getting vaccinated and / or wearing a mask -- an those things do nothing for Them anyway.  Next we'll be hearing They are paying $1200 for a fake vaccination card.

What overseas people don't seem to realise is that New Zealand quite likes being shut off from the rest of the world. Between ourselves, Samoa, Tonga, Western Australia, and (maybe) Taiwan, we'd probably be quite happy with our own little Alternative Plague-Free World, and there is zero public pressure (as opposed to media pressure) to dismantle the Flax Curtain.

Vaccines are nice - but this is one hell of an adaptive virus, and Israel's experience is a warning. Other countries need the vaccine because they have no other option. In New Zealand's case, the question of reopening the border is actually one of "how many deaths are you willing to put up with?" 

Economically speaking we were really worried about what the total loss of foreign tourism would do to our economic prospects. And it has hit that sector hard. But the overall economy is performing well despite the loss of tourism. So it's a question as to whether we really need to open up just to get the tourists flowing back in. However, as soon as the govt decides to make it easier for NZ residents to leave and come back, then domestic tourism will take a dive as people start to take overseas holidays and that might actually have an effect. Though the world still seeing eye watering (from a NZ perspective) numbers of daily cases will dampen enthusiasm for overseas travel, albeit a lot of people will travel as soon as getting back in is easier.

2nd gen vaccines that specifically target Delta and provide much greater protection against infection and infectiousness may make life better for everyone. No idea when they will come online though.

The US FDA has finally given full approval to the Pfizer vaccine for everyone ages 16 and older (12 to 15 remains under emergency authorization only for now). I don't know if this will actually convince anyone who hasn't gotten the vaccine to get it now; but maybe there are still a few "vaccine hesitant" people among the anti-vaxxers that this will reach.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

The US FDA has finally given full approval to the Pfizer vaccine for everyone ages 16 and older (12 to 15 remains under emergency authorization only for now). I don't know if this will actually convince anyone who hasn't gotten the vaccine to get it now; but maybe there are still a few "vaccine hesitant" people among the anti-vaxxers that this will reach.

On one of the cable news networks I was flipping through this morning a poll was repnorted showing that 30% of those who have not yet received the Covid vaccine said they would be more likely to after this full approval was given. We'll soon know how many of those respond to the announcement. 

21 minutes ago, Fez said:

I have repeatedly asked people in the comments sections to stories if they would get vaccinated as soon as they were approved. Not one person has responded with a yes. Yesterday I pointed out they’d be approved today, and asked the same question. The person responded that they’d be approved Aug. 23, 2023.

I do hope all those who have sneered at “an experimental drug” will run out and get their shots, but I have my doubts.

9 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

New Zealand quite likes being shut off from the rest of the world. Between ourselves, Samoa, Tonga, Western Australia, and (maybe) Taiwan, we'd probably be quite happy with our own little Alternative Plague-Free World, and there is zero public pressure (as opposed to media pressure) to dismantle the Flax Curtain.

Which reminds one of game Victoria 2, in which there are / can be distinct advantages and victories for countries to stay out of the Big Power Blocks wars and other ventures, particularly economic ones, when wars are always about in some way power=economic advantages over others.  Which has become more and more difficult to achieve for the Big Power blocks in the post industrial world.  When the economic advantage of war (more resources for maintaining and expanding armies, which lead to more economic advantage) is negated by the necessary concomitant destruction of the manufacturing-technological infrastructure, the Big Power blocks negotiate (as with the Scramble for Africa) to divvy up the non-infrastructured regions to plunder their resources to keep building up their own wealth and power (military resources).

Some countries manage to remain outside of these Big Moves and find ways to get advantages in others ways, as Switzerland did for a very long time by providing a safety deposit box for everybody's wealth, Monaco as leisure and recreation for the richies across the globe who need to advertise their yachts, private jets and Jewels, and now do other small entities such as Caribbean islands as off shore tax havens. 

You guys Over There got this going on in several ways, so it seems fairly smart from over here, ya know?  :cheers:

9 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Service members will soon be required to be vaxxed in the U.S.

Pentagon: US military will make Covid-19 vaccines mandatory following FDA approval of Pfizer's shot

https://www.cnn.com/webview/us/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-08-23-21/h_3050d942e3f5d5b9b45a188cc47f4990

Interesting that the story doesn’t say what percentage are vaccinated. The number is 70% with one shot and 62% fully vaccinated. 

I can’t see an up-to date number for Canada’s military, but the number given several months ago was 95% with one shot and 85% fully vaccinated. I assume the fully vaccinated number is now 95% or more, but the federal government has announced all federal employees must be vaccinated. People with medical exemptions will be accommodated. Stories back in May said the military were lining up in droves to get vaccinated.

Funny to see the different attitudes on either side of the border.

47 minutes ago, Ormond said:

On one of the cable news networks I was flipping through this morning a poll was repnorted showing that 30% of those who have not yet received the Covid vaccine said they would be more likely to after this full approval was given. We'll soon know how many of those respond to the announcement. 

Oh they'll move those goalposts. Most of those 30% will.  If the Donald's crowd was booing him this weekend for saying get vaccinated, there is no hope for that crowd...

57 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Repnorted? Two can play this game, professor. :P

Just got done listening to an interview with a well known physician and one thing she said really stood out, though it was not surprising. She conducted a focus group with Frank Luntz's evil self and I believe one or two other doctors and said literally every time someone said they wanted to do more research or ask more questions to medical experts, none actually had any questions for the doctors sitting right in front of them. I feel like that goes along with the common working theory that most people who say they need to do more research before getting the shot haven't actually done any research at all. Besides reading social media posts that is.

Choose your own adventure on how to interpret this one...

In that context, I guess our current vaccination rate actually is pretty impressive. Even politics, the end-all-be-all of our modern lives is lower than that; only 66.2% of eligible voters voted in 2020.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Repnorted? Two can play this game, professor. :P

Just got done listening to an interview with a well known physician and one thing she said really stood out, though it was not surprising. She conducted a focus group with Frank Luntz's evil self and I believe one or two other doctors and said literally every time someone said they wanted to do more research or ask more questions to medical experts, none actually had any questions for the doctors sitting right in front of them. I feel like that goes along with the common working theory that most people who say they need to do more research before getting the shot haven't actually done any research at all. Besides reading social media posts that is.

Look, but I will take a poll reported on a national TV network, which probably means it was done by a reputable firm, over a "focus group" any day. I don't understand why data from such a small sample should be considered scientific at all. 

1 hour ago, Fez said:

That's good news.  Interestingly, the US vaccination rate has been improving over the last month.  And that was after 3 months of declines.  It is probably a response to the Delta vaccination (since I don't think boosters have started yet), so it will be interesting to see if this approval helps things further. 

Right now, the US, Canada, the EU and UK all seem to be converging towards the same daily rate.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

2nd gen vaccines that specifically target Delta and provide much greater protection against infection and infectiousness may make life better for everyone. No idea when they will come online though.

That could be a long way off.  I remember Moderna were testing a bivalent vaccine, that would be designed to defend against the original COVID and Beta.  I know they have looked at Delta also but i'm not sure has anyone started actual live trials?  Instead, they say that the current vaccines are fine against Delta.  Beta worried them more.

I wonder has anyone tweaked the vaccines that are still been developed to take into account variants?  Valneva today said that it has started a rolling review of its vaccine in the UK.  https://fortune.com/2021/08/23/valneva-shares-pop-french-biotech-uk-initial-approval-covid-19-vaccine/  But it has always said that its vaccine, by design, should be good against variants.  (It is still having "productive discussions" with the EU also.  I think there were be a relatively small order there eventually).  It expects to file for approval in Q4. in the UK.

The longest awaited vaccine, Novavax, may file for actual approval in the UK in Sept.  It has already filed for approval in India and a couple of other countries.  But the Indian subcontractor said that its approval depended on US approval.  So that's not particularly helpful since Novavax said it wouldn't file for approval in the US until at least October.  Which is also when the EU is expecting an application.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/eu-expects-key-data-novavax-vaccine-around-october-source-2021-08-20/

We've waited a long time for another vaccine.  Given how well we did initially, surprising.

And this summarises what a lot of countries are doing regarding boosters.

30 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Oh they'll move those goalposts. Most of those 30% will.  If the Donald's crowd was booing him this weekend for saying get vaccinated, there is no hope for that crowd...

Yes, they’ll move the goalposts.  But my understanding FDA approval was a big legal obstacle toward businesses being able to make it a work requirement - it was one of the reasons healthcare companies, who can have other conditions of employment around vaccine status and liability  (I.e. hepatitis vaccine, having negative TB tests, drug testing), were on shaky ground under a EUA, so not everyone was doing it, and especially early on in the pandemic.  

But now it lands squarely in “everyone who works for us has to have this, and we will track and monitor it as part of your employment”.

Archived