Covid-19 #37: Mississippi Worming

Fragile Bird

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

To be fair, that's something one should probably have figured out before getting married. 

I

Oh good grief, that is completely unrealistic. They've been married for at least six years, way before anyone knew Covid would be an issue. And I don't know if her anti-vaccine beliefs were even developed before they were married. 

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Oh good grief, that is completely unrealistic. They've been married for at least six years, way before anyone knew Covid would be an issue. And I don't know if her anti-vaccine beliefs were even developed before they were married. 

Oh good grief yourself you fuddy-duddy! :P

That is specifically something that one should assume comes up over the course of dating someone long enough to consider marrying them. I think it has with a majority of women I've dated for more than a few months. 

47 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I mean, on the assumption that children might be in the mix at some point I think it is kind of a significant pre-nuptial conversation. For me personally I would certainly not be marrying anyone who was going to fight me on vaccinating our kids. That would be a deal breaker, not only because of a direct conflict on the issue of vaccinating our kids, but it would also mean a terminal loss of respect and thus a fatal blow any prospects of a marital relationship. Come to think of it, even if married I would be very seriously considering divorce if it became revealed after the fact. But that is only me. People may have a higher relationship tolerance for anti-science beliefs especially when laced with elements of conspiracy. I have no space in my life for those kinds of people.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

If people are still seeing things in international media saying NZ overreacted because of 1 case of COVID-19 last week, we now have 148 cases, and that's with a country-wide lockdown starting the day the first case was notified. Today was the highest single day since the outbreak started. This might be the peak, or the peak may still be some way off. One might argue that a lockdown is pointless and there is no putting this Djinn back in the bottle, which may turn out to be true. But I personally think it was the right decision to try to get rid of it again.

We're seeing what we saw in the first couple of weeks of the March to May 2020 lockdown. These new cases were infected before the lockdown, and once those are exhausted, the cases will drop.

We are stagnating around 100ish cases per day, which is still very good and very lucky. 

The question is, will wave 4 explode in a week because it takes 4-5 days for holiday-goers’ symptoms to hit in an 2-3 days for testing to go through? Or will wave 4 explode in two weeks when kids go back to school and cross infect one another, including staff and staff family? 

I actually don’t know what’s the deal with third vaccines now, because we have supplies and there was a campaign but the WHO requested that we delay it. Either way, as long as 45% refuse to take up any number of vaccines, I don’t know how of a difference it would make. 

My workplace is preparing for a grand autumn return, not sure how that’s going to go down. People don’t want to go back, for the simple reason that it’s inconvenient. 

@L'oiseau français

On 8/21/2021 at 8:29 PM, Which Tyler said:

We'll, last weekend, we had the family arund for a BBQ - all except 1 niece (17) who was at a surfing festival with 50,000 other young people, with no social distancing and barely any hygiene, in an area already peaking in cases of Delta; albeit outdoors.

Out of my niece's group of 21, 21 are now symptomatic. Every other group they've been in contact with has 100% infection rate in the unvaccinated.

She doesn't know anyone who's been taken to hospital, and she's the worst from her group, she's says she's never felt so ill.

Geez. Where are you, again? Where was this surfing festival?

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2021-08-23/almost-5000-covid-cases-linked-to-boardmasters-festival

50,000 young people gathered for 5 days. "strict" covid measures on entry

10% test positive for Covid over the following week.

75% of whom are aged under 21

8 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I went shopping today for groceries and about 75% of the customers had cloth masks on.  Though the kids mostly had them below their noses.  I felt exactly as safe as i did 2 months ago when it was more like 5%.  

Choose life not fear.

Well, the (fully) vaccination rate in CT was around 60% two months ago and is up to 65%. Presumably you were vaxxed at least 2 months ago. CT does not, ah, have a large tourism or culture scene to risk much from non-vaxxed states. Your state choose life not death. You should be thankful. 

Alternative option:

I wanted to post this article over the weekend but I was busy. It seems they changed the title. Originally it was:

Is catching COVID now better than more vaccine?

Now is

Covid: What’s the best way to top up our immunity?

TL;DR: If you had the vaccine, the best thing you might do is to get infected. So, go and do your social duty.

7 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

I wanted to post this article over the weekend but I was busy. It seems they changed the title. Originally it was:

Is catching COVID now better than more vaccine?

Now is

Covid: What’s the best way to top up our immunity?

TL;DR: If you had the vaccine, the best thing you might do is to get infected. So, go and do your social duty.

As someone who’s checked off both those list items, what about variants? Does my previous covid infection make me stronger/less susceptible/weaker/more susceptible in the face of new variants? Does it make any difference at all? 

9 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I went shopping today for groceries and about 75% of the customers had cloth masks on.  Though the kids mostly had them below their noses.  I felt exactly as safe as i did 2 months ago when it was more like 5%.  

Choose life not fear.

I followed your advice. When I went for my bike ride last night I chose not to wear my helmet or bike lights. I also ignored all traffic laws. I chose life, not fear. Now I'm in the hospital - but it was worth it!

3 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

As someone who’s checked off both those list items, what about variants? Does my previous covid infection make me stronger/less susceptible/weaker/more susceptible in the face of new variants? Does it make any difference at all? 

You are likely to be extremely well protected against new infection.

There is so far no signal that variants have some form of ADE or something similar, which has always been the fear with this virus.

34 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

There is so far no signal that variants have some form of ADE or something similar, which has always been the fear with this virus.

Well I’m hoping that is the case for both now and the future.

It’d be terribly unfair and rather scary if it were… 

10 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Choose life not fear.

You are truly a brave person, espousing “life not fear” based on your visit to dangerous place like the grocery store.  I’ve been waiting outside of our metro hospitals, chanting this to every single person waiting for 18 hours in the ED to be admitted to a full house.  Sadly, most of them cannot choose either, since “illness and injury” aren’t an option and most of them are probably afraid but did not choose to be.  

The option for “life” in this case is a vaccine, with “fear” being fear of science - so I’m guessing you are advocating people get the vaccine ? Those cowardly children don’t have an option for a vaccine right now, sadly.

I know three vaccine hesitant.

One is choosing love not “fear based” decisions. Her children won’t visit and seemed unhappy that I don’t want visitors. She is heavily influenced by her spiritually based naturopath.

One says that she is waiting for the tobacco version…and also wanted to visit. She has a “q” type friend. I think the destruction of her career and finances are a problem.

One has a good friend who was saying things like “ Trump will win in a land slide”. She used to like Randy Rainbow, so I’m not sure of what happened. I don’t think her DH is happy about her not getting vaccinated.

And here comes Delta.

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The Reverend Jessie Jackson and his wife have tested positive and are both sick. Unfortunately at their advanced age, the virus poses a very significant threat to the couple.

They both are fully vaccinated though.

I really don’t get the peer pressure argument against vaccination.  If you’re in a social group that is anti-vaxx but you personally want to get vaccinated, just be a normal human adult and fucking lie about it.  Get vaccinated and don’t tell your dipshit friends/family.  

Just now, briantw said:

I really don’t get the peer pressure argument against vaccination.  If you’re in a social group that is anti-vaxx but you personally want to get vaccinated, just be a normal human adult and fucking lie about it.  Get vaccinated and don’t tell your dipshit friends/family.  

But then how do you explain the awesome way you get 5G service?

3 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Well.  Interesting perspective.  Vaccinate people and then let nature takes its course.

Each time you're exposed, the immune system gets a little bit stronger, and this continues until old age, when the immune system starts to fail and the infections become a problem again.

"This isn't proven, but it could be a lot cheaper and simpler to let that happen than spend the whole time immunising people," said Prof Finn, who warns we could end up "locked into a cycle of boosting" without seeing if it was necessary.

Israel is now reporting that a booster is beginning to have an effect on its really high numbers.  It also says that:

According to Doron Gazit, a member of the Hebrew University's COVID-19 expert team which advises government, the rise in cases of severely ill vaccinated people in the 60 and older group has been steadily slowing to a halt in the last 10 days.

"We attribute this to the booster shots and to more cautious behaviour recently," Gazit said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israels-covid-19-vaccine-boosters-show-signs-taming-delta-2021-08-24/

That is the real question to me.  Whether a booster changes the odds of having a severe case.  That contradicts Pfizer's claims that there is only a moderate reduction in effectiveness against severe cases.  We'll see the academic research papers over the next few months I suppose.

Otherwise, bringing "fear" into a discussion on masks seems very ridiculous.  Its just a bit of cloth, which you can wash.  Its a common sense thing to do on certain occassions, like wearing clothes in a blizzard.

Archived