Mixed children dynasties?

Hrulj

I might be wrong but I swear I read somewhere of cases in the series where if two equal status parents married one child would take his fathers dynasty and inheritance and other one would take his mothers dynasty and inheritance. Do you by any chance remember mentions of anything like that and in which books was that specifically?

I personally haven’t heard of it tbh, although it is very likely. Since we see the talharts suggest that one of the sons can take the hornwood name and claim it’s lands.

I don’t know about Westeros since we don’t know much about the consorts of female rulers (lady waynwood, oak heart etc.). It might be that their husbands were lower born than them. Which is why their children were allowed to take the waynwood/oak heart name.

However in both today’s and medieval monarchies it is quite common for children to take the fathers name even if they are of lower status than the female monarch.

Although since Westeros seems to be more based on house names, rather than the dynastically bloodline (of our own world). In Westeros surname is more important than bloodline (sometimes).

Westeros is a patriarchal society where folks go and want to go by their father's name, regardless who their mother was.

If Rhaenyra's sons by Laenor had been called 'Targaryen' - and Rhaenys' children by Corlys - we would have examples to the contrary, since in both cases the children had rather strong claims to the Iron Throne - Jacaerys Velaryon was expected to succeed Rhaenyra on the Iron Throne as per Viserys I's own words when he took the boy up to the throne when he was a child.

The fact that this wasn't case makes it exceedingly unlikely that Anya Waynwood's sons or Arys Oakheart and his siblings go with the names of their mothers. In those cases we talk about people like Rhaenys' and Rhaenyra's sons - presumptive heirs who might succeed their mother one day - not lords who actually succeed their mother or another female relation and chance their names then.

Perhaps Jacaerys or Laenor would have changed their names when they took the Iron Throne - as Harrold Hardyng might change his name if he ever succeeds Robert. But then, Robert also kept his name when he took the Iron Throne, never mind that his legal claim was that of a Targaryen descendant through the female line.

What about something like titles, particularly in Dorne? Take Sylva Santagar, who is the heir to Spotswood and married off to Lord Estermont. House Santagar is a house of landed knights. Given the Faith's rule on not allowing women to be knights, how would the succession of Greenstone and Spotswood be divvied up, including the title?

Archived