Standup Comedians - past, present, future

VigoTheCarpathian

Honestly I would just prefer that comedians go back to trying to be funny. That would be difficult for Gervais as he’s always been a terrible standup, but whatever you say about the Chappelle specials, they weren’t really very funny. They were more like after dinner speeches with an occasional joke thrown in to lighten the mood.

The biggest crime that Gervais has committed here is that the jokes are so lazy. That’s not surprising, but it does kind of expose just has bad he really is, it’s embarrassing just how successful he’s been down the years. 

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The fact you equate "You can identify as a three toed sloth" with gender identity speaks volumes to your ignorance.

Well done missing the point entirely. I wasn't equating anything. By offering an absurdly extreme example I was attempting to illustrate that one's gender identity, sexual orientation, political ideology, or whatever else is a contentious issue is immaterial. Perhaps not the best example of a reductio ad absurdum argument I could've come up with but this is a discussion forum not a lecture on logic. And a little tip for you, claiming someone is ignorant just because they have a different point of view is itself a shining example of ignorance.

4 minutes ago, HouseBastard said:

And a little tip for you, claiming someone is ignorant just because they have a different point of view is itself a shining example of ignorance.

Tip for you, a 'different point of view' may be ignorant and pointing it out as such is valid. The absurd extreme example is unnecessary, offensive, and detracts (or perhaps inadvertently makes) any point you were attempting to convey.

25 minutes ago, Week said:

Tip for you, a 'different point of view' may be ignorant and pointing it out as such is valid. The absurd extreme example is unnecessary, offensive, and detracts (or perhaps inadvertently makes) any point you were attempting to convey.

Watch what happens when you switch examples; “Hey, can I borrow your car to go to the shop?” “The shop? You can go to Timbuktu if you like!” “Oh my god I can’t believe you just compared the shop to Timbuktu that’s so offensive.”

This is that ‘looking to be offended’ stuff the right are always throwing at us.

1 hour ago, HouseBastard said:

Well done missing the point entirely. I wasn't equating anything. By offering an absurdly extreme example I was attempting to illustrate that one's gender identity, sexual orientation, political ideology, or whatever else is a contentious issue is immaterial. Perhaps not the best example of a reductio ad absurdum argument I could've come up with but this is a discussion forum not a lecture on logic. And a little tip for you, claiming someone is ignorant just because they have a different point of view is itself a shining example of ignorance.

A tip for you. My gender is not a point for you to debate or have a differing point of view on so your point of view and yes offensive equation of it to such a ridiculous viewpoint, which is a tool transphobes use all of the time, is ignorant in the extreme. 

I'm going to bow out now because this is probably too sensitive of a topic for me to continue to engage in with a degree of cilvillity given the rhetoric that is bound to come up.

25 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Watch what happens when you switch examples; “Hey, can I borrow your car to go to the shop?” “The shop? You can go to Timbuktu if you like!” “Oh my god I can’t believe you just compared the shop to Timbuktu that’s so offensive.”

That is... not at all analogous to what happened here and pretending it is is some disingenuous bullshit.

45 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

This is that ‘looking to be offended’ stuff the right are always throwing at us.

How is this at all relevant? To anything? I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say and, I'll hazard a guess, that you don't either. It's ok to not voice an opinion if you have nothing relevant or thoughtful to add. 

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Probably not surprising that someone trying to make the point that people should be allowed to have different opinions would result in a wave of hostility. Much like the wave of hostility towards Gervais 

The topic that one is opining on is critical. Different opinions on gender identity -- in the midst of discriminatory laws, violent rhetoric, and actual violence -- are not a place for cishet dudes to input whatever insult/joke/opinion. It is incredibly disrespectful and an act of either extreme ignorance or bad faith.

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's that long standing misunderstanding by conservatives, isn't it: the freedom to say what you want does not mean the freedom to say what you want on whatever platform you want to without being called a cunt.

It’s that long standing misunderstanding by the left isn’t it, you know, to absolutely lose your shit over people having different opinions, taking the absolutely worst interpretation of what people have said and proceed to call everyone a cunt. 

3 minutes ago, Week said:

The topic that one is opining on is critical. Different opinions on gender identity -- in the midst of discriminatory laws, violent rhetoric, and actual violence -- are not a place for cishet dudes to input whatever insult/joke/opinion. It is incredibly disrespectful and an act of either extreme ignorance or bad faith.

Nope, disagree. That’s just a handy way to shut people up.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Nope, disagree. That’s just a handy way to shut people up.

There are some topics that people should generally shut up about. (I'll note that you shut down my 'differing opinion' on this topic without discussion or response to any point).

So, please, continue to feel free excuse mocking people who are already assailed verbally, legally, and bodily. Don't bother listening to people explain the harm this 'discussion' causes. Keep whining that you don't just get to talk about whatever you want and that people think less of you. /s

15 minutes ago, Week said:

How is this at all relevant? To anything? I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say and, I'll hazard a guess, that you don't either. It's ok to not voice an opinion if you have nothing relevant or thoughtful to add. 

I don’t know how to explain it any clearer than the poster already did; it was just to say “I wouldn’t care if you were (exaggerated example) X so obviously I don’t care if you’re Y”. There was no equating, just like there’s no equation of Timbuktu and the shop.

I think it’s possible that mentioning gender and literally anything bad in the same paragraph is OK.

In general the mods would prefer it if people stopped trying to police one another in threads. That's our job.  Feel free to report any content you believe violates the rules of the forum.

Just now, Week said:

There are some topics that people should generally shut up about. (I'll note that you shut down my 'differing opinion' on this topic without discussion or response to any point).

So, please, continue to feel free excuse mocking people who are already assailed verbally, legally, and bodily. Don't bother listening to people explain the harm this 'discussion' causes. Keep whining that you don't just get to talk about whatever you want and that people think less of you. /s

I’ve only really mocked you. 

Even Gervais isn’t mocking trans people, he’s mocking the concept of Self ID and the people who try to enforce it , in much the same militant way you’d see in this discussion. 

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

taking the absolutely worst interpretation of what people have said

I made a post about Gervais' position on trans people and dude responded to it with 'you can claim to be an animal if you want'. He's defended it by saying it was reductio ad absurdium - which isn't a defense at all because making being trans out to be absurd is exactly the problem. Especially when you try to imply inhumanity. 

I'm not sure what other interpretation there's even supposed to be. 

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

I made a post about Gervais' position on trans people and dude responded to it with 'you can claim to be an animal if you want'. He's defended it by saying it was reductio ad absurdium - which isn't a defense at all because making being trans out to be absurd is exactly the problem. Especially when you try to imply inhumanity. 

I'm not sure what other interpretation there's even supposed to be. 

100%

Archived