Standup Comedians - past, present, future

VigoTheCarpathian

7 minutes ago, cock_merchant said:

The people speak again. Netflix and their new policy have successfully course corrected and stopped the rot. 

Citation needed. For any of it.

"Stopped the rot." :lol: Frankly, this (unintended) satire is funnier than anything in a Gervais special.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

@Week Just out of curiosity, why would 14% critics score be seen as an accurate one and 92% as the one that's been artificially increased by "transphobes and bigots"? Why are critics by default seen as the ones who are right? Would it be the first time critics were wrong?

Critics are generally out of step with the public when it comes to comedy, probably seeing themselves as above the general populace.

However when it comes to Gervais I’d agree with them.. he’s shit.

Having said that, the reason audience reviews don’t seem to care about the controversy is because normal people don’t tend to spout phrases like ‘punching down’ or ‘marginalised groups’ and are able to understand the concept of comedy and jokes. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Having said that, the reason audience reviews don’t seem to care about the controversy is because normal people don’t tend to spout phrases like ‘punching down’ or ‘marginalised groups’ and are able to understand the concept of comedy and jokes. 

https://youtu.be/F8yV8xUorQ8

Good, just thinking what a laugh it is to make fun of people that are currently being legislated against and maligned as groomers, pedophiles, and rapists deserving of death. Man, what a hoot. Let's really squeeze some humor out of their pain.

1 hour ago, Poobah said:

The pro-Gervaise comments in this thread are better comedy than anything he's done in years.

Agree, though also, the Total Whittles here make me want to embody Tim Heidecker at the opera.

6 hours ago, Week said:

https://youtu.be/F8yV8xUorQ8

Good, just thinking what a laugh it is to make fun of people that are currently being legislated against and maligned as groomers, pedophiles, and rapists deserving of death. Man, what a hoot. Let's really squeeze some humor out of their pain.

Actually seeing as the butt of the joke is online social justice warriors then yeah I do think they should be marginalised a lot more.

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Does anyone know how netflix pays its comedians? Do they get a bonus for views etc, because if so, the people trying to cancel him are doing him a proper favour. 

I’ve no idea if they get bonuses, but I suspect it’s more like Netflix pays up front for the special, with deals to buy future specials.

The controversy always helps, which is one of the reasons Netflix has said if you have a problem with any of their content you can just quit. Which is to be applauded.

Yeah, I'm sure Netflix shareholders are absolutely delighted that the company lost 200,000 subscribers in the last quarter. And I'll bet they're even more excited at the prospect of the further 2,000,000 losses that are expected next quarter.

And I'm absolutely certain that this will be fine, because owning the libs and providing a safe haven for bigots is far more important to shareholders than profitability and dividends.

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, I'm sure Netflix shareholders are absolutely delighted that the company lost 200,000 subscribers in the last quarter. And I'll bet they're even more excited at the prospect of the further 2,000,000 losses that are expected next quarter. 

Is that because of Ricky Gervais?

No. Because his latest 'comedy' show has just been released.

Is it Chapelle? Some will have definitely cancelled because of him. How many? Nobody knows. Not you, not me, not Netflix.

But sure, Netflix. At a time when your business model and content are under extreme scrutiny, at a time when you are charging £16 per month for a service that mostly consists of unwatchable shite, at a time when you are haemorrhaging subscribers at an alarming, business destroying rate, sure, go on right ahead and deliberately alienate vast swathes of your membership.

Perhaps they're looking at the success of anti-woke twitter substitute, Telegraph. Or maybe they want to replicate the groundbreaking, revolutionary concept of viewerless telly, like the hugely unpopular Piers Morgan Unwatched, or the zero viewers tuning into GB News every day. And have you seen the viewing figures for new anti-woke TV station, TalkTV? Oh my wow!

Netflix are really onto something here. Owning the libs = $$$

31 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

No. Because his latest 'comedy' show has just been released.

Is it Chapelle? Some will have definitely cancelled because of him. How many? Nobody knows. Not you, not me, not Netflix.

But sure, Netflix. At a time when your business model and content are under extreme scrutiny, at a time when you are charging £16 per month for a service that mostly consists of unwatchable shite, at a time when you are haemorrhaging subscribers at an alarming, business destroying rate, sure, go on right ahead and deliberately alienate vast swathes of your membership.

Perhaps they're looking at the success of anti-woke twitter substitute, Telegraph. Or maybe they want to replicate the groundbreaking, revolutionary concept of viewerless telly, like the hugely unpopular Piers Morgan Unwatched, or the zero viewers tuning into GB News every day. And have you seen the viewing figures for new anti-woke TV station, TalkTV? Oh my wow!

Well considering Dave Chappelle's specials are some of the most watched ever on Netflix, I think that they couldn't give a flying crap. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Does anyone know how netflix pays its comedians? Do they get a bonus for views etc, because if so, the people trying to cancel him are doing him a proper favour. 

There was a leak from an employee (who was discovered and fired by Netflix) about Chapelle's shows, which gives the sense that there's a calculation made that a show's "impact value" will be (at least in Chappelle's case) about the same as the cost, more or less. The big takeaway from the leak was, of course, that this last special underperformed impact values slightly, "losing" money for Netflix, but the main metric Netflix actually uses is something they call adjusted view share, which apparently Chappelle's shows score well in.

Per Business Insider, Ricky Gervais was reportedly paid ~$40 million for his two specials, so they expected a viewership of probably ~20 million for each. Chris Rock also got $40 million for two specials. Ellen DeGeneres made between $20-$25 million for her special. Amy Schumer bargained up to $13 million (citing reporting on Chappelle and Rock getting their higher fees) for a special.

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

With nearly $30bn in revenue and 221 million subscribers I'm not sure they're going to be too worried about dropping numbers just yet.

Watched some of the newly released Norm MacDonald stand up. He recorded it at home before going into surgery though pretending to be in front of an audience. I think it works even if it is a bit wonky sometimes. He's a great example of how you can cleverly engage in some 'divisive' topics and still mine humor that works. I'll probably watch the remainder over the course of the week -- I don't expect it to eclipse some of his previous stuff but it is still pretty good.

Archived