Football: Return of the CR7

Corvinus85

Why close the previous thread in the middle of a match?

To continue, ok, it was handball. James was quiet for Chelsea for most of the half, and then his heroic moment is his last. But I blame Alonso for the disaster. Mendy just about had it in his hands, and Alonso had to stick his head and take it out.

Chelsea scored a great goal, and were very solid in the second half, but we really should have done better.

Harvey Elliott had a good game, but Fabinho and Henderson were sloppy. Robertson just isn't very good half of the time, and it hurts us, especially as he's so bolshy and insists on delivering shitty corners from the left side himself.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

We scored after he went off. We've not exactly been great since he left, but he's fucking shite.

Yeah, but you haven't looked fluid at all. Okay you didn't look great before he went off either, but it's just harder for the two widemen to find space when he's not there, and while Jota does other things much better, he's still learning that part.

Admittedly your disjointendess wasn't helped by a tendency to neeky little fouls that let Chelsea regroup. It works against the Burnleys of the world where the ref favours the bigger team that's perceived as less dirty but in equal standing matches it slows the game down when Klopp needs the opposite. Pep teams have the same problem sometimes.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, but you haven't looked fluid at all. Okay you didn't look great before he went off either, but it's just harder for the two widemen to find space when he's not there, and while Jota does other things much better, he's still learning that part.

Admittedly your disjointendess wasn't helped by a tendency to neeky little fouls that let Chelsea regroup. It works against the Burnleys of the world where the ref favours the bigger team that's perceived as less dirty but in equal standing matches it slows the game down when Klopp needs the opposite. Pep teams have the same problem sometimes.

Firmino hasn't been linking up play well recently either though. We may as well play Joe fucking Gomez up there if we want someone just to run about defending.

I mean I do think you could do with buying an understudy and replacement for Firmino who actually does what Firmino does but smooth, or adjusting your playing style for Jota's strengths instead (which is obviously working pretty well so far in terms of just him scoring, but I think needs a rejig in how all three and the midfield gel together).

But at the moment, there is an issue there that he's still the best placed in your team to solve, as irritating as he can be to watch.

I recommend Fabio Silva- I don't think it'd take very much work to turn him into the right sort of player.

Disappointing in the end but not a surprise that the ten men sat deep and played for a draw.  Only Arsenal are so bad that they don’t even know how to attempt that, and Chelsea are already a pretty defensive team.  It’s not a good look that the ref gave them so many soft fouls, even before the red card, to let them delay the game and prevent counter-attacks.  Considering what Burnley got away with last week, and the new general lenience to keep play flowing.  This seemed to be Chelsea’s tactic for counter-pressing today, almost like the inverse of City and Spurs with their tactical fouling.

Liverpool didn’t look fluid against a tougher opponent and we still have several players who look like passengers in difficult games.  Mane and Firmino haven’t really recovered yet from last season’s malaise.  I think we’ll regret not adding to our squad.  And there’s a good argument (with hindsight) that Keita and Tsimikas should have kept their places in the team on form and match readiness.

The heralded match-up of Lukaku against VVD amounted to nothing.  And Chelsea didn’t even need Kante to stay on the field to stop Liverpool’s attack; they mostly stopped themselves.

Aside from Jota coming on, Klopp was too slow to make a change to the second half pattern that entirely suited Chelsea.

Archived