Football: Return of the CR7

Corvinus85

Just watched Arsenal Women beating Chelsea 3-2, live at the Emirates. 

The quality in the women's game keeps getting better and better. I really enjoyed this game, the most fun I've had watching football for a long, long time. Great atmosphere and many more people here than I expected. Lovely stuff. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

The quality in the women's game keeps getting better and better. I really enjoyed this game, the most fun I've had watching football for a long, long time. Great atmosphere and many more people here than I expected. Lovely stuff. 

I think the gap between the U.S. women's team and the rest of Europe is going to close really soon. Is there the equivalent of Title  IX on your side of the pond?

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think the gap between the U.S. women's team and the rest of Europe is going to close really soon. Is there the equivalent of Title  IX on your side of the pond?

Not sure. We have the 2010 Equality Act. Not sure how it applies to fitba. 

There are currently huge disparities between the men's game, in terms of funding and media coverage. Hopefully, as the quality improves, so will the resources available to them. 

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Watched this today with my girls.  They all play soccer, and always ask me why the Arsenal women are never on TV here in the U.S. (or any women's teams really).

Was nice to get a chance to see them, and for them to win.  Great game, and the kids loved it.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Not sure. We have the 2010 Equality Act. Not sure how it applies to fitba. 

There are currently huge disparities between the men's game, in terms of funding and media coverage. Hopefully, as the quality improves, so will the resources available to them. 

Those disparities have existed for ages and will continue for a long time, but the gap is shrinking. For example the women's college basketball tournament this year was probably more talked about at the time than the men's game. The quality of play was certainly better. And with time and resources we'll continue to see that across sports, hopefully all around the world.

Just a few hours before the kickoff in the match against Brazil for the WCQ, the Argentinian team was thrown in disarray because Brazilian health authorities forbade 4 players from playing for not following health rules and being quarantined. 

The players are Emiliano Martinez, Emiliano Buendia, Giovani Lo Celso e Cristian Romero, all that come from the UK, and there's a rule that foreigners that arrive from the UK have to stay quarantined for 14 days (and the rule doesn't apply for Brazilian citizens, because don't transmit COVID, apparently) if they have been in the UK in the previous two weeks.

Apparently, they also didn't report having been in the UK and will be, barring some special exemption, barred from playing the match or staying in Brazilian territory.

Anyway, back to the game itself, on paper Brazil is doing what most of the press and supporters have been asking since 2019 and using players and tactics similar to the Flamengo team that has been the best in South America by some distance in the last two years, indicating a more attacking and less Neymar-centric approach.

I say on paper because last game Tite decided to use Vinicius Jr. as a fullback (heat map shows he touched the ball more on the defense than on the attack) and Gabriel Barbosa as a right-winger so Neymar, who was clearly not fully fit, roam freely- which resulted in a terrible performance and Neymar missing two very clear chances that were handed to him (though in the 2nd, Everton Ribeiro scored in the rebound).

41 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Now, some reports in the Brazilian press indicate they will be able to play,  thanks to some Nicole Kidman in Hong Kong type of exemption (which, at least legally, doesn't exist).

Scratch that- there's members of Brazil's Federal Police and Health Agency on the pitch right now. Apparently Argentina locked down it's dressing room to stop authorities to get to them.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

:rofl:      So having insisted that these players come on an international break despite it meaning they'd miss games for their clubs, the Argentina FA failed to check if they'd be able to play in the country they're actually visiting? Competency!

Didn't the Argentinian FA have an agreement with the EPL clubs. The players could/would play the first two games, and then return to their clubs, so they really wouldn't miss that many games?

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Didn't the Argentinian FA have an agreement with the EPL clubs. The players could/would play the first two games, and then return to their clubs, so they really wouldn't miss that many games?

Yes, but apparently they tried to back down on it.

Anyway, considering the entire reason for the game not happening is Argentina's fault, I don't see how they don't lose the points, and maybe even get more severe punishments.

Also, spare a thought for poor Lucas Veríssimo, who was making his debut for Brazil. That will be one to remember...

Also tomorrow'S game Guinea - Morocco has been cancelled, due to the political instability in Guinea (host).

There was apparently a coup attempt in Guinea, yesterday. It's unclear whether the military has been successful with their coup. But, yeah.

18 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That wouldn't make have made that much difference, although it's more internationals-breaks-are-outmoded-bullshit bullshit that there are games schedules for the day before the European leagues resume anyway. But in terms of quarantine even if they fly tomorrow they'll miss Chelsea and Everton in the league and would probably not feature in the league cup vs Chelsea coz they'd be out of quarantine but not trained for two weeks just before it. Coming home after the game on the 11th would add one game (against us) onto the list, realistically.

Archived