Football: Return of the CR7

Corvinus85

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, you have that odd team winning the CL once every two decades or so, before their team gets picked apart (likesay Ajax 1995, or Porto 2004). As for the World Cup, it will lose quite a bit of it's appeal if you increase its number. Right now, you get 2, maybe 3 shots in your career to play in it, and win it.  Yes, there are a handful of players who played in four World Cups, but that's more of an exception than the rule.

I agree the 2 year thing. It will destroy football.

The gods of football are mad at me because I didn't sacrifice enough virgins for them and decided to punish me by making Flamengo, my team, sign David Luiz. To make matters worse, he was nearly set for Benfica, but our former coach in the 2019 Libertadores and Brasileirão title, Jorge Jesus, blocked it because with Otamendi and Vertonghen there, he didn't need another aging overpaid central defender.

Meanwhile in the aging overpaid Brazilian defenders department, Daniel Alves has refused today to play anymore for São Paulo due to a debt of about 1.5 million pounds the club has with him, meaning some sucker in Europe might sign him (there were rumors of Sevilla interest).

While of course any player must be paid for what they are owed, despite the fact he was still playing well in Europe at PSG as well as for Brazil in 2019 Alves was really a failure on pretty much every level on his return to Brazil. Despite playing for what he claimed was his boyhood club, he always clearly felt he was bigger than it, and I strongly suspect he thought playing here would be easier than it actually was, and he leaves without coming close a major title and being hated by his supporters.

As a Tottenham fan I did fear this was coming, the performances since City haven't been good.

Fitness and defending has improved under Nuno but the team is still poor going forward, keeps losing the ball and thus keeps inviting pressure onto ourselves which eventually gives.

I don't know whether this is the after effects of the Mourinho era or if we've just hired Mourinho Mark II. I really like Nuno but if he's the same cautious, defensive type of manager as Mourinho then it's sadly not going to work out.

I hope we bounce back from this but I fear we may be staring down the barrel of a Mourinho-style capitulation.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

So we've got an accused woman-basher there as a guest to welcome the return of a very likely rapist. Fucking ewww.

It's not good. It's quite disgusting actually how the media have been rolling the red carpet out for Ronaldo without a single mention of the serious allegations against him, and I really didn't think I'd see Giggs in public again.

45 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

So we've got an accused woman-basher there as a guest to welcome the return of a very likely rapist. Fucking ewww.

41 minutes ago, Darryk said:

It's not good. It's quite disgusting actually how the media have been rolling the red carpet out for Ronaldo without a single mention of the serious allegations against him, and I really didn't think I'd see Giggs in public again.

It's rather incredulous but also not at all surprising that it's been magically avoided and that all is basically forgiven in pro $ports. And he just scored. Ugh.

48 minutes ago, Darryk said:

The Athletic ran a piece on it today. 

Archived