Football: Return of the CR7

Corvinus85

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

They haven’t shown it again but Neville, after watching the replays, doesn’t seem to think it was a particularly bad tackle. It’s just shit luck for Elliott just as he was breaking into the team. Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery.

I don't entirely agree with Neville, having seen it on twitter. It certainly wasn't malicious or even intended to be a 'tough challenge', but he lost control of both his legs by trying to turn as he tackled, and as a result scissored Elliott's ankle. It wasn't one of those where Elliott's foot just happened to plant in a bad spot as sometimes happens, it was Struik being out of control that led to it so I think a red is fair.

That looks to be a really nasty injury for Elliott.

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't entirely agree with Neville, having seen it on twitter. It certainly wasn't malicious or even intended to be a 'tough challenge', but he lost control of both his legs by trying to turn as he tackled, and as a result scissored Elliott's ankle. It wasn't one of those where Elliott's foot just happened to plant in a bad spot as sometimes happens, it was Struik being out of control that led to it so I think a red is fair.

Yeah, Neville is talking out of his arse or perhaps what he meant to say was not malicious. But that was absolutely a bad/reckless challenge.

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yes, that was a "I wonder what will happen if I do this" tackle, and in today's rulebook that is going to earn an early shower most of the time.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Yes, that was a "I wonder what will happen if I do this" tackle, and in today's rulebook that is going to earn an early shower most of the time.

Not just today. That was a red card twenty years ago, too.

The angle for his tackle was horrible. He slid in from behind and mowed down the attacking player. You can't tackle through your opponents legs and expect to stay on the pitch. That was a Pepe (or Sergio Ramos) memorial tackle. Easily a 3 games ban coming his way.

34 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

How bad will Newastle have to be to see Bruce get the sack? 

Hard to see how Newcastle could have been any less ambitious this transfer windrow, but even then Bruce doesn’t help himself with his tactics. There are players there that are far better than you’d think from watching them. Bruce going into every match with a ‘we’re the worse team so let’s not lose too badly’ mentality can’t help. 

Thought they’d had an upturn of results last season but maybe that won’t happen again 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

How bad will Newastle have to be to see Bruce get the sack? 

BFC, you've been a Newcastle fan long enough that this has to be a rhetorical question. You know that Bruce will only get the sack if Ashley has no other option. It'll take a combination of being bottom of the league, large scale fan protests and it being too late in the season to try anything else.

On 9/10/2021 at 7:13 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, you have that odd team winning the CL once every two decades or so, before their team gets picked apart (likesay Ajax 1995, or Porto 2004). As for the World Cup, it will lose quite a bit of it's appeal if you increase its number. Right now, you get 2, maybe 3 shots in your career to play in it, and win it.  Yes, there are a handful of players who played in four World Cups, but that's more of an exception than the rule.

Both Ajax and Porto have multiple European Cups under their belt. If you want to look at "that odd team" who won it, better example's are Steaua Bucharest and Crvena zvezda Belgrade.

40 minutes ago, mormont said:

BFC, you've been a Newcastle fan long enough that this has to be a rhetorical question. You know that Bruce will only get the sack if Ashley has no other option. It'll take a combination of being bottom of the league, large scale fan protests and it being too late in the season to try anything else.

My only hope is some sort of sex scandal. 

Archived