Football: Return of the CR7

Corvinus85

10 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I’ve got no idea how we didn’t score about 8 goals but, hey, a win’s a win. Good game.

Origi had quite a good game to be fair. 

Cause apart from Salah, our other forwards need 10 chances to score a goal.

I found Trent playing very casually at times today.VVD really makes him look good defensively and going forward, he's always there to cover his ass.

4 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

You understand that they play on opposite sides of the pitch to each other? TAA was mostly fine, certainly no worse than anyone else.

Keita continues to be very, very average. Not exactly bad, but not good either.

what i meant was that overall when VVD plays and is in the backline, TAA generally is very good.I'm not sure it;s the same with Gomez in the side.

VVD being there allows the other defensive players, both the fellow CB and whoever's in midfield, to go cover more ground in their defensive work because he's more sure in defence and also is himself excellent cover to relieve mistakes or offer an out-pass to someone cornered off. Basically, Matip can offer more support to TAA, and TAA himself can be more focused on going forward, because they're not feeling the need to shrink back to cover everything in behind if something goes wrong. That's not covering his ass, though, that's just letting TAA do what he's really in the side to do and is one of the best players in the world at.

It's a similar principle though obviously different roles (and Varane is not quite as good) to why Pogba suddenly has more assists than the last two seasons combined since Varane arrived. Varane being there means Maguire can do more support of midfield without worrying about being caught out for his lack of pace, and that means when Pogba is central he is allowed to push forward more even when he's in a two, and when he's LW he doesn't have to worry about doing the defensive work coz one of the midfield two is more free to step across. Yes, an actual defensive mid would also have been ideal, but Varane makes a big difference to our play through that area without actually being in that area hardly at all.

Carlton Cole and Joe Cole, two of the thickest men in football, absolutely stinking out the BT Sports studio with their banality. 

These two idiots are so dense, they better not get too close too each other. They might begin collapsing into one another and inadvertently create some kind of fucked up, claret and blue singularity that sucks us all into a world where David Moyes still has eyebrows. 

I've not watched the game that closely, but I really like Leicester's shape and lineup tonight. Soumare, Tielemans and Ndidi is a quality midfield, and the balance of having Iheanacho's tendency to drop deeper utilised by sending Barnes and Daka on runs behind is a good use of all their strengths. It's enough that, even though it's only one game, it makes you both optimistic they can replace Vardy, indirectly, but pessimistic for Maddison because as good as he is he wouldn't fit this plan at all, either as a 10 or on the left. 

Still, time for it all to shift and be proven or unproven.

I see United are pushing to get Lingard to sign a new contract. It's bizarre how desperate they are to not let anyone ever leave on a free.

They can't promise him games, so the only thing they can offer him as an incentive to sign a new deal is big, big money, and if they go that way they'll end up with another dude sitting around on £150-200kpw for 4 years.

Archived