Football: Return of the CR7

Corvinus85

I think part of the problem is that a lot of referees have interpreted 'let it flow' to mean, what was red is now yellow, and what previously was yellow is now a pat on the back and a lollipop.

Pretty much every game I've watched in the past few weeks has been full of fouls being completely ignored, with no real benefit going to the team in possession.

In theory letting the game flow more is absolutely the right thing to do, but the cretins in charge are making a hash of it as usual.

Both players knew what they were doing old mate in white was kicking a ball away so the other team couldn't get on with the game and should get a yellow, other old mate in red knew full well he was kicking the crap out of the other guy and probably could/should have seen a red card.

27 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Jimmy Greaves has died. Hard to reconcile that cuddly old bloke with the stone eyed killer he was in his prime. Goals per game ratio was insane. I wonder if he ever really got over not playing in the WC final. 

Ah, shit. Quite possibly the loveliest person ever associated with Spurs. RIP.

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

You can have your thoughts on let it flow one way or another but what's that incident got to do with the the idea? It's just a Luton player being a dick and a ref also being a dick.

Soylent basically nailed it. It's like they've downgraded the tariffs for red and yellow cards.

And while I totally welcome PGMOL's attempts to rid the game of all the ridiculous play acting, falling over at the slightest touch, all available evidence this season suggests they've gone too far.

Tackles that were outlawed fifteen years ago are now being waved away by referees, and young players who've never had to worry about getting scissor-tackled from behind are now being subjected to all kinds of violent, dangerous challenges that are not being punished correctly.

That Luton one was ridiculous. How the fuck is that not a straight red?

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Very open interview with Phil Jones.

He's right that it's bollocks that Rio didn't know he was injured. That's a grosser failure of preparation for his job as a pundit than anything Jones has ever done for us as a player. I fucking knew Jones was struggling with injury and I don't have contacts at the club. 

Poor PJ4. Seeing as he's got a bit of time on his hands, might now be the time to consider a change of career?

Something tells me he'd be an absolute natural at this game.

RIP Jimmy Greaves. Older Spurs fans who saw him play at the Lane said he was on a different level and it was like he was passing the ball into the net.

My dad doesn't care about football but even as a rugby-watching South African youth he knew who Jimmy Greaves was; probably one of only three football players he had heard of when he was a kid (the other two being George Best and Pele).

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Jimmy Greaves has died. Hard to reconcile that cuddly old bloke with the stone eyed killer he was in his prime. Goals per game ratio was insane. I wonder if he ever really got over not playing in the WC final. 

From what I've read he never got over it. 

From The Guardian:

Greaves was finally presented with a World Cup-winner's medal in 2009 following a long campaign by fans. But in 2014 he sold the 18-carat medal in a sporting memorabilia sale at Sotheby's auction house in London for £44,000 and struggled to fund his medical care later in his life.

Of course Lingard got the winner. Great penalty save from DDG - he's got a poor record saving penalties so I didn't have much hope. United should've had a penalty or two ourselves. Deserved win in the end.

eta. I've also been switching between the two games. Brighton/Leicester was a great game as well especially after Brighton scored their second, Leicester woke up and were all over Brighton and probably should've won that game.

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Great penalty save from DDG - he's got a poor record saving penalties so I didn't have much hope.

It was a pretty bad penalty, it was right in the spot that's asking for it to be saved for a right footed penalty taker. De Gea might not be great at penalties but as soon as he dived that way he'd have been disappointed not to have saved it.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It was a pretty bad penalty, it was right in the spot that's asking for it to be saved for a right footed penalty taker. De Gea might not be great at penalties but as soon as he dived that way he'd have been disappointed not to have saved it.

DDG is usually really, really shit at penalties though. His technique is one of the worst you'll ever see. He usually moves waaay too early and makes it easy for the taker or he just collapses to the ground. Not the greatest pen from Noble but I had zero expectations of De Gea saving even a rubbish penalty.

Was really happy with the way Tottenham were performing for most of that half but I think Tuchel, superb manager that he is, has seized control of the game tactically now. I've got Chelsea pegged to win the league because I'm such an admirer of Tuchel.

Really hope Nuno can respond.

Archived